🔷 How the "5 DPS instalocks" problem could've been solved

No role SR.

The game is marketed as a title where players have to switch/be flexible to succeed. Role queue is kind of counter intuitive.

Yay, role dice again

No thank you

6 Likes

Would you like to join up with me and join QPC for 5 matches and see how big a “myth” that is? Literally the last time I joined oh about 5 days ago, it was exactly that.

9 Likes

Jeff already explained why they didn’t take that approach.

They don’t want people to feel pressured into picking a certain role over and over again.

In chaos Q it was already bad without a system like that.
If the Mercy Main ever dared to pick DPS you could be sure that someone would start sh!ttalking within seconds.

Now imagine not only other players, but also the queue system itself is expecting you to play a certain role :joy:

11 Likes

It’s fine you don’t like. It doesn’t have to be everyone’s cup of tea, it isn’t now either. The players who wanna grind will learn to flex.

I know that. I used to be a Mercy main myself. Perhaps having played CS 1.6/Source/GO for many thousands of hours way before OW came out doesn’t matter in that case.

Imagine still judging players by their main.

Learning to flex and play 3 roles at the same SR is a huge difference.

Many people complained: Yeah 3 different SR, but they will be all the same. Surprise, surprise it’s not.
Matchmaking won’t work with this system. You are literal stuck with your role and won’t be able to practice any other role without throwing

The rage switch was pretty common pre 2-2-2 and it will have big comeback

2 Likes

At the end of the day, you either accept 2-2-2, play by it long DPS queue time or not. DPS players who refuse to ever even consider playing Tank or Support are doomed to wait. It’s that simple.

No amount of “sniff, but I don’ wannaaaa waaaaiittt” crying isn’t going to change that fact.

10 Likes

Let’s play 10 matches in open queue each and share replay codes.

I somehow doubt you’ll get more than 20% matches with 3 dps.

Until the hero rosters for all roles are balanced, there won’t be balanced queue times.

Roster size won’t fix the queue problem
Game literacy, especially OW tank literacy is one of the major contributing factors

Mythbuster here

Sorry

Hi, yes it did.

5 Likes

The core issue with queue times is that the wide majority of players want to play DPS and just very few want to play tank … this will never go away.

Having gone back to freedom queue this week, yes, lots of dps play and it’s tough to get a good comp, but when I went back to role queue, it was really no better. I’ve had 10 games in a row in role queue with either only off tanks or only off supports, or one trick DPS that wouldn’t change if you begged them.

Role queue didn’t improve the quality of my games, it just slightly normalized them and limited what I’m able to do about it.

Until either

1. Hero rosters within all 3 roles have the same amount of characters, which naturally gives the players more to be interested in, at least for the lacking roles.

OR

1. Balance is shifted towards 1 tank, 1 support, 4 dps for the time being.

Yup, in competitive play.

I really think DPS players probably blanked it out, since they were part of it.

10 Likes

You can’t expect people to just want to play 1 role. Like sure I enjoy playing support, but I wouldn’t want to be expected to play support every single match because sometimes I actually want to play tank or dps.

According to Papa Jeff himself, 2-2-2 was by far the most common

1 Like

This one:

And this one:

So? That doesnt mean 5 DPS games werent also a regular occurrence.

The most common name in the world is James. That doesnt mean John isnt a regularly chosen name.

10 Likes

Even then it wouldn’t be completely as DPS is attractive for being flashy and less teamwork needed, but it would go a long way towards helping.

2 Likes