✅ Hanzo - Don't nerf StormArrow headshots

Instead of nerfing the headshots, they could nerf the bodyshots.

Hanzo

StormArrow

• Damage reduced to 35, down from 70.
  • Headshot multiplier increased to 4x, up from 2x.

Comments: With this change, it is much more difficult for Hanzo to kill 200hp heroes with just bodyshots. Aiming against heroes like Genji and Tracer is especially more difficult. This increases the variety of Damage heroes being used.
Damage against barriers is reduced substantially. Which is important now that barriers are much weaker.
Hanzo remains a formidable threat to Tanks, with their sizable head hitboxes.
For the very most skillful Hanzo players, his damage potential against heroes remains unchanged. This maintains Hanzo’s identity a skilled archer with remarkable aim.

10 Likes

Or, they do nerf Storm Arrow headshots, and they increase the arrow damage from 70 to 75 so one shot can finish off a 200 hp target who was hit by a fully charged primary fire.

2 Likes

Only if he only gets one arrow with StormArrow. Otherwise that would be a laughably no-skill kill combo.

As is, he can fire a normal arrow and storm arrow within less than a third of a second.

1 Like

This is what I’ve been saying for a while now. Removing headshots just makes his ability more static and less aim-encouraging, and as such it would be more spammy. Keeping headshots still gives that encouragement to go for headshots to keep dishing out high damage.

3 Likes

35 damage bodyshots are also the magic number to make it so that one normal bodyshot, followed up by 2 Storm bodyshots doesn’t result in a kill.

125 + 35 + 35 = 195

That little detail opens up a whole range of 200HP heroes to be used instead of Hanzo.

Also makes it so he gets virtually no increase in raw DPS against barriers.

So much like Moira’s damage Biotic Orb, you want Storm Arrows to be irrelevant damage that simply be healed through.

Thats the problem, he shouldn’t just get a free kill because he pressed E.

5 Likes

Can we do that then drop another shot from it too?

1 Like

Maybe try aiming for headshots with a “Sniper”?

8 Likes

that would be fine if he had 5 arrows, honestly might be fine either way, would reward landing your headshots so it would be a good change

I’d be perfectly fine with 5 arrows.

That puts it at only 300 damage over 2.1sec, instead of 475 damage over 2.1sec.

142DPS is only 10DPS above an Orisa.

Except people think Moira’s damage orb is some sort of OP ability that will bounce 67 times before coming out and killing you at 1 HP.

14 Likes

Then give it a longer start up or something.

You’ve still gotta land two shots, and that’s the same amount of skill it takes to kill with just his primary fire.

Just give him the junkrat treatment.
Lower his projectile size so he doesnt shoot tree trunks

2 Likes

It takes 1.2 seconds between arrows though.

I had an idea to nerf his whole kit in a way that still felt good to headshot - but also addressed the General body-shot damage that he can output as well - given that he pretty much can just aim down a lane and fairly consistently get free shots on enemies without much mechanical skill required.

Hanzo Rework Concept
  1. Crit Damage set to 2.5x like Widow
  2. Base Arrow Damage dropped to 90 at max charge. Removes Hanzo’s ability to drop most players from two body shots. Requires 3 body shots now. This is going to make him weaker vs Tanks - but I think that would be healthy for the game. Tanks should be hard to kill.
  3. Storm Arrow Base Damage dropped to 50.4 damage ; requiring 4 body shots to drop a squishy - but still permitting you to deal a non-insignificant damage to shields ; 252 for 5 shots. Headshots are still rewarded (126 damage each - reduced from 140) for accuracy.
  4. Regular Headshots now only deal 225 vs 250

Most importantly - both your concept my concept would not enable a Hanzo to drop someone with 200 HP from a body shot followed by two storm arrow body shots.

90+50.4+50.4 (rounded up) = 192

But I think I like any idea that does something with Storm Arrow. As it is now - it just doesn’t feel fun to play against ; and it seems too forgiving to play as.

I actually had the same idea, but i put BS on 60 dmg and crit multiplier at 2.5.
35 BS damage seems a bit excessive of a nerf considering its only 5 dmg more than a melee hit.
60 dmg already brakes down the 3 hit BS kill against 200 hp targets to 4 hits needed.

My only issue with Hanzo is that he does headshot.

I always assume that people are smart enough to use the animation cancel from a normal arrow into StormArrow.

So to me, it turns the 3 hit, into a 4 hit.

125 + 35 + 35 = 195

It also has the added benefit of lowering the barrier damage from 475 damage, down to 300. All within a 2.1 second combo.
Which puts it more in line with other DPS for barrier damage.

But why not go for 2 BS with regular primary at this point from Hanzos perspective? Even good Hanzos arent consistently getting consecutive HS on 200 hp targets. The ability becomes a detriment to him at that point. Shooting 3 storm arrows takes 1 second. With your new adjustments, that would make it a 105 dps ability which has the whole purpose of doing damage.

60 dmg with 2.5 crit multiplier keep 1 HS plus 1 BS kill on 200 hp targets.
But makes a full round of only BS a 4 hit kill.
Plus he does 10 dmg less to barriers per arrow.

Slap another 2 second increase in cooldown and i think its fine.

1 Like