Zionel, The Rogue Sentinel

Zionel, The Rogue Sentinel
Nexus Original- Melee Bruiser
Zionel is a guardian of ancient Nexus structures and monuments. When the Catastrophe struck and new heroes entered, a rift was created and destroyed Zionel’s tomb. Now without a purpose, he wanders the Nexus.

Trait- Ancient Energies

Zionel receives bonuses based on his health and mana percentage. Activate this trait to double the bonus and receive 50% health and mana regeneration for 5 seconds. Cooldown (30 Seconds)

-50% Health 10 Physical Armor
+50% Health 10% Attack Speed
-50% Mana 10 Spell Armor
+50% Mana 10% Spell Power

Q- Helix Beam (Skill shot) Cooldown (8 Seconds) (30 Dmg each)
Zionel Fires a helical beam that causes damage up to five times. If an enemy hero takes damage all five times, Gain Charged Blast. Charged blast- Zionel’s next basic attack gains 4 range, 100% damage, and stuns for .25.

W- Sentinel Aura (Aura) Cooldown (10 Seconds) (40 shield 20 Damage every half second)
Activate to create a 2.5 second damaging shield around Zionel. Does damage and creates shield every half second. Explodes for an additional 100% damage and shield at the end of its duration.

E-Guardian Lunge (Dash) Cooldown (12 Seconds) (25 damage, 50 Health each) Dash has 5 range and missiles seek for 6
After .25 seconds, dash forward and shoot 3 seeking missiles out. Each missile does 25 damage, slows the target by 10%, and lasts 1.5 seconds. Prioritizes heroes, stacks slow on the same hero for 4.5 seconds for 30%.
Zionel heals for 100% of the damage done. Missiles do double damage to minions, monsters, and mercenaries.

Talents

Level 1
Awaken the Spirit (Trait)
Activating Zionel’s Trait additionally grants 25% movement speed and 25% cooldown on basic abilities.

Power Eternal (Trait)
Activating Zionels Trait grants an additional 250% Health and Mana Regeneration for its duration.

Vigilant Guardian (Trait)
Zionels Trait lasts an additional 3 seconds, and its cooldown is reduced by 6 seconds.

Level 4
Sonic Weapon
Helix Beam (Q)
Reduce the cooldown on Helix Beam by 2 seconds.
Quest- When Zionel uses Charged blast on a hero, permanently increase its damage by 5 (per application.)

Protective Aura
Sentinel Aura (W)
Extend the duration of Sentinel Aura by 1.5 seconds. If cast while Ancient Energies is active extend the duration by an additional second.

Oppression
Guardian Lunge (E)
The missiles from Guardian Lunge slow for an additional 2 seconds, and heal for an additional 100%
Hitting a single hero slows them by 50% decreasing over 6 seconds

Level 7
Multi Shot
Guardian Lunge (E)
Upon dashing, fire an additional 2 missiles. Damage to non heroic targets is increased by an additional 150%

Long Shot
Guardian Lunge (E)
Increase delay to .5, but dash has double the range and increases move speed by 30% for 3 seconds.

Overpowered shot
Guardian Lunge (E)
Hitting a hero with a missile does an additional 100% over the next 3 seconds. Zionel’s basic attacks refresh the duration.

Level 10
R1- Empowered Strike (Heroic) Cooldown (15 Seconds per charge)
Activate to cause Zionel’s next attack to have 300% damage and launch him into the air becoming invulnerable and steerable for .25 seconds. Upon landing his next attack gains 2.5 range, 200%, and cleaves for full damage around him.
Stores 2 Charges

R2- Sentinels Protection (Heroic)
Activating Zionel’s Trait applies its bonuses to the nearest ally hero and increases its cooldown by 5 seconds. If no hero is affected reduce its cooldown by 5 seconds.

Level 13
Double Helix
Helix Beam (Q)
Charged blast now grants two charges and the stun is increased by .25

Doppler Beam
Helix Beam (Q)
Increase the range and width and of helix beam by 100% and will bounce once upon hitting terrain.
Helix beam and its additional bounce reveal enemies for 8 seconds. Does not grant additional charges.

Ancient Defender (Passive)
Zionel’s basic attack speed is increased by 25% and cleave for 25% damage. Quest- each takedown increases cleave damage by 5%, up to an addtional 50%

Level 16
Spectral Beam
Helix Beam (Q)
Helix Beam now slows silences and blinds heroes in its path.

Mass Effect
Sentinel Aura (W)
Increase the radius, damage, and shield of Sentinel Aura by 75%

Vanguard (Passive)
Mounting is immediate and cannot be dismounted.
While mounted Zionel reveals the surrounding area. Quest- takedowns increase mount speed and vision radius by 1.5%, up to 30%

Secret Guardian (Active) Cooldown (70 seconds)
Mark an ally hero. Activate to teleport to them and grant them unstoppable for 1 second.
Take downs near you or the ally reduces this cooldown by 5 seconds.
Passive- Reduces the duration of disables against you by 20 percent while near a marked hero.

Level 20
Elite Strike (Heroic)
Empowered Strike gains an additional charge, and upon landing the bonus applies to an additional 2 attacks.

Supreme Guardian (Heroic)
Sentinels Protection now applies to all nearby heroes, and increases its cooldown by 5 per hero.

Agile Defender (E)
Activate to reset Guardian Lunge and gain 2 charges.

Eternal Vigil (Trait)
Zionel gains the effects of all of his level 1 talents.

4 Likes

Me: sees someone coming up with a Nexus OC.
Me: Hits Like Button.
Although, I’m a bit confused about Helix Beam. Is it like Qhira’s Q? Or Fenix’s Planet Cracker? I just need to know a little more about it’s mechanics, but otherwise it seems like a solid concept.

1 Like

Its a bit like hanzos Q, decent range and width, with five potential ticks of damage in the middle, like hanzos ult. Good question, i realized its a bit unclear. The range would be like a chromie Q

take my like! am impressed by the NO (pun heh) concept here

1 Like

Oh yeah , give me more bruisers :muscle::heart_eyes:

Hey NeroSixx! I’m always happy to see new concept designers around the forum, and since you asked for a review, here I am! I know it’s been a little while, so I hope you’re still around!

This is a very unique trait, which really creates a gameplay precedent. I do find it really interesting how the character performs a solid shift in playstyle priority as it’s health and mana decrease. I’d love to see this be more of a central theme with the character, with large mana costs but a more frequent way to recover health and mana. Also maybe making the buffs scale a bit the farther you distance yourself from 50% would be interesting.

Another intriguing ability, though a bit confusing. I would maybe specify tick time and duration the laser lasts, as well as well as specify it isn’t a channeled effect. The Charged Blast adds more to the gameplay identity of being a flexible bruiser mage, which is nice.

This one is a little simple, but unique nonetheless. Originally, when I saw it, I thought it discharged all damage and shield it did to enemies in the area once it detonates, which gave him a strong zoning presence which was interesting, but this works fine as well. Does the shield apply to allies as well?

This is a weird ability that feels a bit off in execution. The damage of the ability is, frankly, abysmal, but that is the least of my concerns. The way the stacks work are quite unlike anything else in the game, being a weird combination between normal stacking conventions as well as Lunara’s increasing poison duration. As for the targeting scheme, if missiles can hit an enemy more than once, how is that determined? If there are two enemies nearby, two Heroes and a minion, what happens? Does it naturally ignore the minion? What if it’s just two Heroes? Does it have the potential to fire all three at one of them, or is it equally spread? There is a lot of ambiguity with how the firing scheme works here. Additionally, the heal component paired with the increased damage to non-heroes means you are at your sustain weakest when there is an enemy Hero nearby (as you wouldn’t be able to hit minions and mercs), giving him a really weird splitpush aspect that feels out of place with the rest of the character.

This is very flashy, but it works. Is the 200% at the end supposed to be 200% damage?

With how unique the character is, this feels like a bit of a letdown. This looks like two talents slammed together to make a heroic, and doesn’t really offer anything for the gameplay loop you developed. I would like a mage heroic parallel to Empowered Strike to keep with the duality of the kit.

As for talents, I don’t have many comments. Many of the talents are quite simple, with numeric increases across them which don’t really shake up how you play the character. I’m also not a fan of not one but three tiers dedicated to a single ability, which severely limits the build path options of the character in an inorganic way; the talents also do not make up for this. The vague mage/melee AA divide is interesting, but it kind of alienates the final talent, and the playstyles still play very much the same, regardless of choice. Just some things to consider.

1 Like