Will we ever get % damage abilities that can be reduced by the different armors?

Is it an oversight % damage ignores armor? Can the coding handle % magic or physical damage, or no? % maximum health in magic or physical damage means you’d take the same damage as our true max up damage % we have now, but spell armor or phys armor or even just armor would be able to reduce damage if you have the right armor. If the coding in this game is so bad that you can’t even include % damage that can reduced, that’s sad. I don’t think anyone’s asked the devs whether it was an oversight, or the coding literally can’t handle % damage being reduced like regular flat damage

No, that would not make any sense.

14 Likes

it actually can,

if an AA does 5% hp damage ,
hitting a 2000hp hero = 100hp damage (this the game calculates perfectly)

just need to add armour values to it ,
if the hero has 10 armour (10% reduced damage taken) = 100 -10% = 90hp damage per AA as long as the armour is up,

they can put this into calculations too.

but then heroes like DW would be more hard to kill even with % damage

so i think , lets just keep it the way it is :slight_smile:

6 Likes

And why not? Not all % moves have to be phys or magic. They could be the same true damage % we have now

The way armor is set up right now against % damage leaves players (or only me?) wondering how armor works. Armor doesn’t ignore % damage. % damage would wreck a 75 armor hero as their armor is meaningless against % damage. Is it because the devs CANNOT code % damage any other way, or is it possible to get certain types of % damage to NOT ignore armor?

HOTS’ armor system is extremely simplified compared to other mobas so that brings up the question whether the current engine can even handle physical or magical % damage in the first place. Physical and magical % damage would be weaker but that allows a greater power budget in the % damage part of it or even another part of the kit

1 Like

Percentage damage was made to be true damage as in you can’t reduce it. To make some work on armor while others don’t would make it inconsistent. Only exceptions are extreme effects like protected, invulnerable and stasis that negate it.

It can. Some talents have been bugged in the past that has resulted in spell armor reducing their effect. Some others have caused physical application to ignore blinds and evasion effects. Neither were intended.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an oversight or a coding thing. I believe it is intentional to have % damage be “true damage” in this game.

7 Likes

Well they could change % damage to be nuanced to allow for more mechanics

Why would you say some % damage work on armor and others not to make it inconsistent (in a negative way)? It’d be an intended inconsistency

What would be the point of %damage then?
Plus as a tank you would likely be hard pressed to pick all the armor talents.

I do agree there is too much % damages flying around.
But wouldn’t it be less confusing to just reduce the percentages accross the board then?

3 Likes

Isn’t a low health hero a “soft” counter to % dmg?

4 Likes

(true) % damage is actually a BIG problem in LoL, and I’m surprised people aren’t complaining more here. You literally can’t itemize against max health % damage. Except for blinds or protected or leoric 50% damage cut (?) in this game, you can’t mitigate the damage.

% damage that can be mitigated would still be powerful.

maybe, but hots has actually decent healers. Most of which are meant to keep your team alive through such things.

I dont think it was ever all that bad in lol either tho. Vayne was meant to be op if she got fed. Thats why her early game sucks.

1 Like

Maybe have healers with more %health loss shields and/or heals.

1 Like

Yes.
The developers have never noticed, and when it is reported to QA they delete all the reports.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Almost certainly.
I imagine that you can do it in the SC2 editor, so it almost certainly can be done in the HotS fork of it.

Kind of but not really, for example Tychus kills even lower health heroes like Valla very fast. He is not only good against tanks.

Actually he kills low health assassins even faster with minigun+overkill

from my guess
damage calculation in this game should be:
(s_dmg1 + s_dmg2 + s_dmg3 +…) * reduction by spell armor = actual spell damage

(p_dmg1 + p_dmg2 + p_dmg3 +…) * reduction by physical armor = actual physical damage

actual spell damage + actual physical damage = result damage (sometime one attack will show two number. brown is physical damage, purple is spell damage)

% damage will calculate to fix value (p_dmg1, s_dmg1, …) before reduction

thus: % damage is not ignore by armor except your ability say ignore armor.

It’s almost like % damaged is balanced in HotS.

And there is no reason to try to break it.

They could also give every hero a reload timer where by pressing a key in the second half of their reload, the best attack does 50% more damage. Like Locked And Loaded.

More mechanics does not necessarily mean more better. It is that simple.

1 Like

Does Shrink Ray reduce the % damage dealt?

All right. Bring on the percent damage that ignores armor. My custom kits will use % max true damage instead of possible other % damage that would have been softened by their respective armors

No. You cannot reduce % damage. It’s always all or nothing. Physical can miss due to blind or evasion. Protected works on everything. Invulnerable and stasis make you completely untargetable and immune for the duration.