Why do people defend QM match making so hard?

I never understood why people defend The matchmaking that the team comps makes some times. I feel that a lot of these people who defend the matchmaking are the ones who pretty much don’t care about the game anymore and just want to jump in and play a few games rather they be bad or not and go on with their day.

It seems that when you talk about making fair balance team comps, people always want to try and say oh if you want the perfect team comp go to draft…

let me say this, I played some draft games over the past months and for the most part draft games are really bad because of people who don’t know how to draft and just be selfish and pic what ever they wan’t just to troll or not care about how the outcome of the match is.

I can’t tell you the amount of times that people screwed up bans or the person who is supposed to ban AFK’s during the draft.

Another thing is draft has become so dead to the point were not only que times are long, but your not guaranteed to get good players on your team that are actually not brainless as hell.

QM for the most part isn’t fun because for the most part the match making doesn’t even try to make balance or fair teams, one team may have one tank and four ranged damage dealers with High AOE damage and mobility and the other team is running a butcher with a malthael or thrall with two other ranged heroes that just can’t compete.

when it comes to QM, I feel that most of the community argument of defending the current QM matchmaking kinda sucks. I have played this game for five years and played plenty of QM and draft games to know that Defending QM as of how it is right now, it just feels like people are blindly defending it and ignoring the problems with it and why it hurts the game.

10 Likes

We can’t do much for the matchmaking system when there are few players playing. I do like to rage that for some reason the game (in ranked) literally can’t find me a match with 9 other players… my longest queue time was 45 minutes and sad to say the Quadra I eventually teamed up with only waited for 5 minutes

2 Likes

I try to play UD sometimes and for the most part it’s actually worst when it comes to terrible games I have had plenty of bad takes on draft games And if it wasn’t for the match making when it came to team comps, I could probably say QM is a lot better then UD or in some ways even now its considered better.

It seems like people have this huge pride when it comes to the current QM team comp making and I can’t fully understand why.

Nobody defends it, we just want to know your solution if you decry our stance so much.

It’s not going to be good MM because it’s already not drafting. This idea that comps need to be balanced is undermined by the fact that even as most people complain, they’re playing assassins. This is how it is, though: QM is bad MM because the mode itself is predicated on no draft.

We’re frustrated because all your complaints amount basically to the following statement:

“Other people should play, and be good at, tanks and healers for the sake of MY queue.”
That’s what’s happening here too. You’re mad at QM for being a quick pickup match, because comps are imbalanced. When asked which heal or tank players you want it to draft-- since they’re probably outnumbered five to one by assassins in any given queue-- you guys have no answer. So what the heck do you want? It can’t balance your comp without players, but if we make you wait you can say hello to consistent queue times of 5+ minutes, which is to my understanding why you’re all in queue times.

This is textbook “want your cake and to eat it too;” you propose that draft isn’t what you want and then demand draft conditions enforced on QM.

I ask again. What is a draft mode not giving you, and how do your changes not just reflect a draft mode’s conditions?

8 Likes

QM is stupid, I never play QM because I’d rather have control of my games. So I don’t really care about complaints about QM, because I feel like people should just stop playing it entirely.

That being said, the ridiculous matches you find yourself in in QM can help you learn certain things about the hero you’re playing. For instance, how to land KTZ chains on an Illidan Genji Zera Abathur comp. The answer: Armor of the Archlich and extreme patience.

4 Likes

I would love if more and more people played UD but It’s something that would be hard to do. I think maybe blizzard could come of with some kind of Idea that motivates people to play it but I’m not sure what.

One of the things that draws people to QM is it allows them to play what ever hero they want which is fine but in doing so It creates problems like you see now, I think the idea of playing the hero you want is a good idea but I also feel that their should be some kind of drawback to it which is longer que times and yes the rule of having at least a tank and healer needs to apply. If more people played UD more then QM then I feel the games would be a lot better.

If you want to play your favorite hero then your gonna have to go through que times a bit longer and if you want shorter que times go to draft which is the best way to play the game. I think the Idea of QM and UD as of right now is backwards when it comes to QUE times and learning the game.

you can learn a lot of things in QM but I also feel it shouldn’t the main mode were you learn how to play the game. I feel that People need to learn the game in UD also and their needs to be some sort of push to make people want to draft.

1 Like

Merging QM and Unranked into “Blind Pick” or w/e from League. And then just have ranked and the “new unranked”.

Because all the solutions proposed defeat the reason we queue for quick match in the first place and the supposed problems can be solved by just playing unranked draft, which is the game mode that’s actually designed for the gameplay you’re wanting.

If you don’t like quick match, that’s fine. Just don’t play quick match.

Stop trying to ruin it for the people who are enjoying Quick match as-is.

6 Likes

I’ll take a stab. I’ve played thousands of QM games. They’re fun. Comps are the least of my worries. Playing with low MMR players or getting players who are trying new heroes are by far the bigger problem.

Comps have an impact and they can lead to insurmountable games. The thing is, you don’t really know it unless the game is already underway, and you see that your teammates are legitimately trying and adapting. I used to prejudge comps, but over the years of just winning way too many games I did not expect to, I eventually realized that we all just don’t really know as much as we think we do.

I would say games where comps were like a direct factor where I felt completely helpless constitute less than 5% of my games.

The biggest reason honestly is the novelty of different comps that aren’t expected. If I WANTED something more structured or familiar, guess what I can do? Play a draft mode, and I do that too! However, if I just want to kick back with my friends and try to adapt in weird situations, that is actually pleasurable believe it or not. QM is there for that reason. I’m as good at the draft modes precisely because of all the unconventional situations that QM forces you into.

You just seem like a whiner who will complain at anything. You can’t even handle a draft mode. Honestly, you should just quit if the game is causing you so much pain. You’re just an irrational control freak, and no amount of changes will really ameliorate your psychology.

7 Likes

I defend the matchmaking because I personally love the quirky team comps, and what I can learn from them, that can be carried to draft play when my pick gets counter-picked.

Playing as main tank Artanis teaches me how to build him for things other than boss racing, how to engage intelligently, when to swap and when NOT to swap, and just how much punishment he can take before dying. (Yes, I was main tank Artanis against a Rexxar in my first match this morning.)

Playing as Li-Ming into a Zeratul teaches me how to be hyperaware of my surroundings, how to hold my heroic and E for when he wants to dive me, and how Zeratuls think when they are hunting me.

Playing Anduin without a tank teaches me about triage, positioning, and the best use of my trait. It can also teach me when and how to use my E to save people, as well as a follow-up CC or engage.

In other words, perfect comps rarely force you to actually use a hero’s entire kit, or adapt and change your strategies. Getting to know all facets of a hero can only make you a better player in the long run. Playing with and against the same meta comp every match would get as stale as playing the same map every match.

Embrace the chaos, let it be your mentor, and your matches may end up being far more enjoyable than you would expect.

8 Likes

FTFY; also not relevant for QM, Brawl or vs. AI.

Never.

Some people strongly defend QM because they like its two main features: just pick whatever hero you want, and get into a game quickly. I can respect that. QM should be left alone at this point, and we should work on having another option for people who want to take the game more seriously. like, solo league draft, for example.

3 Likes

I can understand the Idea of what your saying but I don’t think that it should be the only idea to play QM, like I said up top, I feel that UD should be the mode people play more and if you want to play the hero you want 100% of the time then you go to QM with longer que times this also means their needs to be a rule with at least one tank and healer on both sides so it convince people to learn and play healers and tanks.

Yeah their are things you can learn still from the current match making and their are people who enjoy it how ever, that doesn’t mean its healthy for the game as a hole because one of the issues with QM is it teaches the newer moba players all the wrong things and teaches bad habits.

I think that Blizzard needs to start focusing on draft more then QM and try to come up with a way to make people want to play draft more often rather that be a complete change to QM with it’s match making or not. Blizzard should enforce people to learn other roles which most people do anyway.

Yeah, most people might play DPS in QM but that doesn’t mean people don’t play healers and tanks, I’v seen plenty of games that has had tanks and healers. A lot of people also play bruisers often so I don’t think that the argument of people in QM only play DPS most of the time is entirely true.

I personally think hots QM is one of the worst modes in any video game.

When you factor in how important Blizz has made wave clear and CC, then you factor in each of the different maps and how they impact comps, and what you’re left with is an RNG disaster.

I honestly think QM would be tolerable if they greatly reduced the map pool. Maybe have a 3-4 map rotation that changes weekly.

Keep the map pools as themed as possible, like point control, collection, channel, so that way you have an IDEA of what to look for when you’re getting ready to play QM.

Unranked should have the full map pool available, because you actually have some control over what’s going on.

QM should not have the full map pool. It’s just another layer to the RNG that muddies the water more and more.

1 Like

You’re trying to redistribute the player populations based on what you deem is important, but you can only affect human behavior so much with incentives. The exact reason why QM is so popular is because it is the quick mode with the least requirements, and responsibilities, so you trying to magically wave a wand to funnel people into the other modes more doesn’t fundamentally change why people pick QM in the first place.

this is a good point. QM is highly unique and different from draft mode, to the point where it probably contributes to that problem where you need a healer in draft and the guy picks Murky. :neutral_face:

The thing is, that isn’t the only reason I play QM, just why I defend its current state. I play QM so I can try for the perfect Artanis stacking game. I play QM so I can play with friends whose ranked MMR is much higher or much lower than mine, without feeling like I am either a burden or hard carrying. I play QM so I can test heroes or builds, without risking drawing the ire of people who expect perfect drafts and perfect play. I play QM because I am in the mood for something not so deadly serious (same reason I love playing brawls, although I always always do my best and try to win). I play QM because I only have 45 minutes to squeeze a game in, and may not have time for the queue+draft+game time.

And clearly I am not alone. As I said, stop trying to make QM what it isn’t, or forcing people away from something they enjoy. A better use of your time and energy would be to see QM from other people’s perspective, and see if you can change how you approach it.

And maybe, just maybe, there will come a time where you defend all of its flaws and quirks as well!

1 Like

Getting extended mm 3 times in a raw now at 7 pm EU.

Time to quit.

Ughh, why? I happen to actually like BHB. And when I can’t get certain maps in ranked that aren’t on rotation, playing them in QM actually makes them fun.

This is what I don’t get, one of the reasons why QM is fun because of the wide range of the types of games you can get. That is actually one of the points that makes it fun. If you want the same thing all the time, why the heck would you play a game that has 80 different heroes.

3 Likes

For the night or for good? You’ve been here a long time