Why always Silence?

You have an utility/cc aoe Heroic? Let’s give silence to its Heroic upgrade at lvl 20!

Leoric Entomb? Silence!
Deckard Stay awhile? Silence!
Mephisto Durance of Hate? Silence!
Zarya Graviton Surge? Silence!

Is this necessary? Am I the only one who thinks there’s maybe too much silence at lvl 20?

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the Zarya Graviton upgrade buff, but isn’t it too strong? Isn’t this trend a bit boring?

16 Likes

DURANCE OF SILENCE

9 Likes

I’m fine with that. The level 20 talents are supposed to be really strong and win the game anyway. I also think it’s a really cool change for zarya, because a lot of heroes could just leave the graviton and the upgrade at 20 didn’t do much before.

11 Likes

Yeah, I completely agree. And although I hate to use the F word, it’s also not really fun to play against either. When it comes down to it, if you’re both rooted, and you can’t use abilities, it’s practically a stun but you can AA so maybe just pick AA heroes if you’re going against Zarya lol?

There’s gotta be a more interesting way to buff the talent.

7 Likes

At least it finally counters Anduin’s HW:S.

3 Likes

Well giving cdr for landing them at 20 also gets old fast.

5 Likes

Why doesn’t Imperius’ voiceline “Silence!” cause nearby enemies to be Silenced for one second?

7 Likes

I think silences are cool.

1 Like

Because everyone with a decent taste uses the:

already :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Aye, fair enough.

I would pay for that to be an activatable talent.

2 Likes

That’s definitely an issue, but what about if you added the functionality where if you get caught in it, you’re left with a debuff and if you Q’d into the rift, it would suck you back in. That would be pretty limited in scope, but there could be other buffs too. Or for as long as your duration of your Graviton is up, your Q’s also create mini rifts for 2 seconds to get those players you might have missed.

SILENCE!!!

20silences

There are a lot of possibilities. It could be any or multiple of things like

• Each Enemy Hero hit by Graviton Surge increases Personal Barrier’s shielding amount by 35% and maximum Energy by 30 for 3 seconds. Casting Graviton Surge resets the cooldown of both Personal Barrier and Shield Ally.
  • Graviton Surge now reduces armor by 25
  • Casting Graviton Surge now provides Zarya and nearby allies with 30 armor for 3 seconds.
  • Gain a 2nd charge of Graviton Surge, and reduce its cooldown by 20 seconds. (Casting Graviton Surge will trigger a cooldown of 10 seconds between charges.)
  • Graviton Surge now roots targets
  • Graviton Surge now slows enemies by 70% for 2 seconds after leaving it’s area of effect
  • Graviton Surge now deals 500 damage to enemies hit by the blast
  • Enemy Heroes in Graviton Surge receive 50% extra damage from Zarya
  • Graviton Surge’s radius is increased by 25% and cast range increased by 40%
  • Passive: Particle Grenades now pull enemies to the center of their explosions
  • After casting Graviton Surge, gain maximum Energy for 3 seconds, decaying normally after 3 seconds.

It didn’t have to be silence. I’m not entire sure I dislike it having a silence now but it is definitely a trend to throw silences onto level 20s and being silenced is a pretty big deal for counterplay. Can reduce counterplay ability without removing all except “don’t get hit or be cleansed”, personally I think stupid amounts of damage out of Zarya would be cooler than CC.

1 Like

silence doesn’t remove complete control of a hero (movement, attack) so its not as restrictive as other cc, bypasses some forms of auto-protection (heroes that proc armor on stun) and influences a few heroes more than others, so it can be more mindful of a particular meta than not.

Some of the easiest ways to offset some of these heroes is by movement or interruption, so a silence-effect is a decent way to dramatically improve the appeal of that heroic, esp since, of the examples you listed, those are all different roles, so it could shake-up certain combinations of abilities. a number of heres had a lvl 20 blink, so other heroes having a lvl 20 to counter than isn’t entirely unsound or stagnating yet imo

For zarya’s 20, I tend to prefer the grenedier for damage or reset for defensively saving allies. The appeal of graviton is the clustering and the biggest weakness is the abilities for a lot of heroes to jump out of it. In that regard, I personally would prefer expulsion as the displacement interupts some effects and cuts off enemy escape in a particular route.

So in that regard, each of her 20’s does have a bit more distinct an appeal where her heroic upgrades were fairly lackluster compared to the other choices.

1 Like

[Ess of Johan intensifies]

3 Likes

This was granted with Leoric, as there was no reason for anyone to ever pick his lvl 20 Entomb upgrade until the silence came along.

And the silence is a cool flavor, because Leoric is an evil undead possessed skeleton who seals fates at the end of the game.

You have a point on the distinction between the 20s. I’d still rather it be a root than a silence because I like the idea of people being able to still use things like Sound Barrier while already trapped inside.

It does seem a bit too formulaic and lacks creativity. At the same time, it works though.

I’d like to see some new ideas but at the same time, a lot of those ideas are bound to fail.

Tough to say.

2 Likes

Bah, at least you can move, compared to stuns