What would a Probius rework look like?

Probius is a weird hero. I don’t see how his kit flows in game. He just seems underwhelming across the board. I don’t play Starcraft so I’m curious what you think a Probius rework would look like. Would he retain any abilities? Would he still be a setup to do anything hero? Is he fine in his niche?

I get cannon rushed enough in sc2 so I’d just like for him to never play against me.

Stop the reworks…

It’s outdated but the core ideas remain.

1 Like

Photon cannons become his main source of damage, rather than unstable rift explosions (inspired by cannon rush aspect). Unstable rift becoming a talent aspect rather than baseline (cool mechanic). His Pylons can be talented to provide zoning similar to unstable rift (inspired by Pylon wall aspect). Pylon overcharge becomes a talent with lower cooldown but only a single target Pylon (based on Nexus ability), and a new ultimate is to warp in Gateways which summon timed life Zealots and Stalkers periodically for the duration (inspired by forward base aspect).

Between the Pylons, Photon Cannons and summons he could be reclassed as a tank of sorts. This plays to his character of being just a Probe but not weak like an ordinary Probe.

2 Likes

I believe Blizz is moving away from Support-type characters. Even then, just adding the minor shield to his Pylon baseline and nerfing his damage doesn’t make him a support.

Also dislike your Warp Rift change - It’ll either be Ess of Johan levels of OP, or it’ll be barely noticeable.

Currently, Probius is doing so poorly because of a very simple change Blizz did quite some time ago - They increased the baseline movement speed of all heroes by 10%.

Now, you might think that isn’t too powerful… But previously, Warp Rift’s arm time and area was just enough that if you casted Warp Rift dead-center on a hero, and then launched your Q right at the time that it would have armed, you would have hit any hero with baseline movement speed - But heroes with 10% extra movement speed (Actually 8% works too) would be able to get out of it in time if they didn’t derp around.
Now that everyone has 10% extra movement speed compared to before, Probius can no longer land his own W-Q combo on his own.
This means that while previously, Probius could fulfill the role of a mage, of poke, of setup, and of zoning, he had the role of mage completely removed from his baseline kit with the movement speed change, and is now completely reliant on his teammates to deal damage.

Personally speaking, I believe that a simple buff to Probius should do the trick - Increase the range of Warp Rift to 8, from 7, and increase it’s radius to 4, from 3.