What happened to that "skill based" mmr?

Hots promised us a system that i dont remember what it was called but if you are good player but lose you dont suffer as much points in rank.but it never happened. Even if the day never comes i wanted share what i envisioned what this system would be like (of course open to suggestions).

I think key things that this system should have/judge you on is the following.

All classes = Clutching/focusing/peeling to some degree. There is many times if a healer or KT just right clicked the enemy we all would have walked away instead of one of us dying or if Raynor/morales/lucio turned around and Q blasted them in the face to peel. Its one thing to be oom/ooh/cooldown but if your not you are guilty and should be ranked on that.

When to end the game. Again situational at times but if your team wipes their whole team lvl20 and you ping core but your team runs back to do camps and your team ends up losing down the road. They should be judged and educated on that while the game remembered you made the right call.

of course every hero has different pros and cons but im trying to make this as short as possible.
These would probably be the main focuses per role
WARRIOR: clutch/peeling/CC. The worst is (real examples) Muradin with 90% health in front of you running away while you have 10% health and die. A good tank will turn around and do something. Also a good tank knows when to stop chase and CC

Support: healing/pvping (yes not right clicking on enemies to me is a low skilled healer) if in a good position (yes that includes dive comps)

Assassians: focusing the right target (and I dont mean always focus the medic nub speech) I mean when you are next to a hero with 5% health/support and you are focusing the 30-100% tank. Yes again situational (like if they get an ult on them) example: if you just attack TAZ DINGO through his whole ult that should lower your score or Uthers Ult. This should only apply (your score) if another hero is close for you to attack to prevent self nerfs in a 1v1 scenario.

After every match it should break it down and show you what you did wrong and educate you on how to be better.

Pings and ignoring them: There is arguable pings but no one (except the nub) will deny if you shot called a “retreat ping” well in advanced when you clearly see the enemy team moving up to gank them.

Dying to win the game also shouldnt be punishable (if you made the right call and the core dies shortly after you)

Like I said this is a pipe dream but feels to me what the system would be like. My examples or categories may not be the right ones but it show cases what I think (if done right) would be what the people want.

3 Likes

It became one with the clown fiesta.

13 Likes

They backed out on the idea. They decided to change the system to only give players advises instead of judging their plays xP
I was also looking forward to it before seriously devoting myself to ranked games.

7 Likes

I assume you mean the PBMM which they decided to not implement in the way they told us it would be, which is yet another thing they said would be in and never happened. They only used it to collect data in the background starting around season 3 lol.

8 Likes

Pbmmr was my only hope …

7 Likes

Even if performance based MMR ever arrives it’s about 4 years too late. The damage has been done a very long time ago. They had their chance at launch, then at 2.0, and never did anything.

The ranked population has shrunk to nonexistent levels, as noted in another thread some regions can’t even fill all GM positions anymore because there simply aren’t enough people queuing for ranked.

8 Likes

The PBMMR wasn’t working the first time(it rewarded bad play[stat padding] while punishing good play). They pulled it back in order to fix it but they realized they have no clue how to program such complex system. Ultimately they decided it would be just used for stats and info.

11 Likes

You need someone with logic to design a working MM system, not many of those left at blizz, sjws aren’t big on thinking and you can’t design a matchmaker off of feelings.

9 Likes

I suspect it is much harder to do than anyone suspected, including Blizzard.

When they first tried it, it took a bunch of stats as a basis, but because they had no context, so the reception from high level of play was that it was very arbitrary and easy to exploit.

It did not encourage good play, it encouraged stat farming.

I haven’t seen it talked about since.

I think the approach needs to be looked at. How much influence that personal stat should have overall. But actually designing it, I only have the vaguest idea where to begin

6 Likes

Can’t have skilled based MMR with any accuracy with shared XP. Sorry, bub. Find a new game.

1 Like

Lol, of course you can, you can even do it completely without XP.

2 Likes

Yes. You could do it without XP theoretically, but then you have to rework the entire game.

People have to be able to advance in a game without depending on their whole team or it is botched.

Example:
You could do it on xp soaked for your team but that makes it unbalanced because you can soak all the xp for your team but that doesn’t mean you are good at the game.

You could do it on based on KDA, but KDA is inevitably linked to the skill advantage you have, which is based on xp shared. You can’t have a good KDA if your team is down 4 levels.

I mean, this is just how I feel. If there were easy ways to do it they would have successfully done it already. I personally think the shared XP is a huge problem for solo mmr.

Maybe not IMPOSSIBLE, but very, very hard to do without some crazy changes to the game. Interested in hearing ideas though.

It’s a combination of factors. Including XP and all other relevant stats (depending on character). You don’t have to have a “good” KDA, because it would considered as relative to your teammates. They are doing it already with the MVP screen, they are just scoring “perfomance” based on a variety of metrics. Exact weights of each metric would be determined by data.

And the argument that "if it were easy they would’ve done it "… is just silly. It’s pretty obvious that they don’t have anyone capable in there working on MMR, perhaps some intern. Last years botched attempt to do PBMMR (which screwed up the rankings for quite some time) clearly showed that. The fact they didn’t even properly tested it (they only have data on millions of games played…) and then completely threw it away without any attempts to fix it just shows how bad it is. Sure tho, in the mind of some manager from Activision gameplay doesn’t generate $ skins do.

I’m surprised you even still play this game. Didn’t you learn your lesson the last time you complained and linked your stream? Turns out you do all the things you complain about.

Bro, I’ve seen some TERRIBLE players get that MVP award. So you gonna have to come up with something else that tells me they are capable of rating performance.

5 Likes

Once you start doing it, you can fine tune it.
It doesn’t need to be exact every time. It just needs to push your MMR in the right direction in overall sense. We do that everywhere with various engineering solutions, they are rarely exact. Weather forecasts can be pretty awful at times, but in overall sense they are very helpful and we heavily rely on them.

2 Likes

here you go:

1 Like

I get the analogy to weather forecasts, but you also have to realize that it is a completely different situation. An algorithm has to be consistent. We have models to predict weather based on usual patterns. Weather isn’t intelligent. If you could find any way at all to play terribly, but still raise your MMR, people would exploit the sh*t out of it. Blizz has to take all of that into account.

Lol

Thanks for the replies everyone :slight_smile: i agree that it wouldn’t be easy to do and testing for sure needs to happen. In the current state most are saying the game is on “life support”. I guess time will tell what happens.

The way the system works is:
It keeps track of every single game.
It compares every element in every game.
It checks which elements were higher in games won, and makes them the factor that adjusts your MMR.

So if a hero wins games consistently by taking average of 5 merc camps per game, while also dealing at least 2000 damage per minute of game time, players who take 5+ merc camps per game (with that hero) and deal at least 2000 damage per minute of the game will get bonus MMR. However if one takes 10 camps in a game, but has less than 500 damage per minute of game time, he’ll lose MMR.

1 Like