Unstoppability (Bug(?))

Hello everybody,

As already mentioned in the subject, I am concerned with the unstoppability of the hero Hogger. :face_with_monocle:

I like to play him very much and I noticed recently that his unstoppable ability differs in one way from the other unstoppable skills of all other heroes.

The following scenario: I play Hogger

Hogger is captured in the Entomb / ā€œUlt Leoric Cageā€. The first time that a Leoric caught me. I think to myself ā€œhhhhhh cool whirlwind in the cage will tear it apart xDā€ as soon as I use whirlwind, Hoger whirls himself out of the cage. Apart from the fact that I was relatively disappointed, because the cage was supposed to serve as ā€œterrainā€ at that moment, just as I can ram people in the cage against the ā€œterrain / cageā€ with the Q from Diablo, so it would also be with Hogger should work! But it didnā€™t. The same applies to the wall of Tassadar. With the whirlwind he goes through the wall instead of bouncing off the wall and using it as terrain. (The same applies here to Diablos Q. It works for him)
Then my colleague put forward a hypothesis that it could be that if you make someone unstoppable, you can move through the Tassadar wall or Leo cage with any hero.

We tried it out in our own game with almost every imaginable hero.

First the heroes who can make themselves unstoppable:

Except for Anubarak, none like Hogger could get through the Cage/Wall/terrain. Whereby Anubarak tunnels himself and comes through all terrains anyway. Even a butcher who attacks a target outside the cage tries to escape normally through the entrance of the cage.

Next up are support heroes who can make others unstoppable.

No matter whether Lili, Rehgar Uther, etc.pp. or other supporters who can make others unstoppable it didnā€™t work.

So either the problem is that the developers thought it would be too exaggerated if Hogger could repel himself in the cage and turned it off. Which, however, would be extremely unfair! Or it is a mistake. (You also donā€™t nerf the W from Genji because it destroys Tracer in 0.5 sec after you attacked her while she is Autoattacking u.)

No idea but either all heroes who become unstoppable should then be able to escape without exception, or blizz should handle it so that Hoggerā€™s skill works as intended! :thinking:

This half-hearted one is really annoying!

Is there anyone who could explain this ā€œwhirlwind phenomenonā€ to me?

I hope i could explain it as good as possible with my Englishskills :sweat_smile:

With best regards

Zephyrus :speech_balloon: :fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

I think they did it this way to simplify the mechanic. To explain, when you play Hogger, you see a line that show where terrain is. This line only breaks into certain angles, making calculating wallbounces and what not relatively easy. Leoā€™s cage does not have these line, meaning that it doesnā€™t count as natural terrain. This is also the reason why Hoggers trash pile always takes up the same space and has the same collision.
I think the feature that makes it unable to work is the fact that he can pass though units (ghost). In this case, Hogger passes through non-natural terrain, as he only collides with natural terrain. If you want to test it, try doing it with stuff like Hanzoā€™s scatter arrow, which reacts to terrain, but isnā€™t ghosted (I havenā€™t done it my self).

This has been brought up a couple of times before (more commonly in the General Discussion froum than here in Hero Suggestions).

The way terrain and wall abilities interact (or donā€™t) with other abilities is really inconsistent:
Some walls cause Hanzoā€™s Scatter Arrow to split, some donā€™t. He can jump over some walls with Natural Agility, but not others.
Tracer can Blink through some walls, but not others.
Hogger bounces off of some and not others (but in his case, I think his own pile is the only ability he bounces off of).

As far as I know, the devs havenā€™t said anything regarding why itā€™s so inconsistent, so we can only speculate.

I think the two most common such speculations are that itā€™s either a bug/ weird coding, or that it was deemed Hogger would be OP if he bounced off any wall.
The Leoric situation mentioned in the OP, or Sonya getting trapped with Hogger in her own Arreat Crater, are examples of when it could be really powerful.