Support Ending for DX9 and the 32-Bit Client This Month

In the next release for Heroes of the Storm, we will be ending support for DX9 and the 32-bit version of the Heroes of the Storm client. DirectX has had several major releases since DX9, and the vast majority of players in the Heroes community are now running the 64-bit version of the game, along with DirectX11 or higher.

This means that the Heroes of the Storm client will no longer run for 32-bit users this month. Please also note that while the 64-bit Heroes client might still be playable on some machines using DirectX10, this may not be the case for all configurations, which is why we recommend that all our players upgrade to at least DirectX11.

We encourage our players to switch to the 64-bit client ASAP, as this update will be rolling out to our PTR servers soon.

For the original announcement: CLICK HERE

As someone who plays daily but doesn’t read the forums, this was an unpleasant surprise this morning. You definitely could have made this announcement more visible.

7 Likes

same here , just pressed “PLAY” on battle.net to enjoy Mal’ganis and game doesn’t run , support ending should announce on battle.net main page that all players see it at least 1 month ago,

3 Likes

do somebody know a command line in advanced start options to play on 32bits?

You cannot play on a 1280x1024 monitor without DX9.

Before, you could add -dx9 in game settings and play on resolution 1280x720. This would put black bars on the top and bottom, and you would see the full screen in the middle.

Without DX9, 1280x720 stretches the screen (no black bars) and distorts the graphics.

The 1280x1024 resolution graphics option cuts off the left and right of the screen for all Direct X versions. In a game which requires proper vision of opponents, this makes it unplayable. You can’t see them until they are in range to hit you.

Please put black bars on top and bottom when playing with 1280x1024 (or any other aspect ratio that isn’t 16:9), so that we can see the whole 16:9 screen.

i wonder how manny players Hots lost after this update. one thing for sure i cant play anymore:D:D bye bye hots…

3 Likes

Blizzard don’t really care about their players, they only care about pleasing computer part manufacturers, pushing the markets to upgrade. Please get someone that can code a version of the 64-bit client that doesn’t memory leak like a sieve, blue screening our systems. 32-bit version was the only saving grace.

2 Likes

@Cthulhu: I agree with you on this one. Had the same issue and today I found out why the game doesn’t run anymore on my 32bit machine.
To place this on a forum and not even saying something in the Blizzard startup screen should be a small trouble.
So this means I’m not able to play HOTS anymore.
@support: is there a way to keep playing HOTS on a 32bit machine or are all those loyal players of yours doomed to wait till they can upgrade to a 64 bit system?

1 Like

A lot more than Blizzard thinks :frowning:

1 Like

well…now I know why suddenly after the patch I cant play Heroes anymore even after clicking hundred times “PLAY” button.
Third world country citizen like me can only play on old computer, old processor, and 32bit systems.
While majority of Blizzard customer (gamer) can buy new system at moment notice, we on the other hand need to save 3x X’mas or yearly bonus/allowance just to upgrade our system’s part (not buy entirely new rigs).

Bye bye then. I hope Blizzard still exist when I can buy new rigs :blush:

2 Likes

I had to use -dx9 additional argument line with my Nvidia GTX970. With the new patch it is not working anymore and the game crashes even in the menus. There is dx11 on my computer. Where should I find the source of the problem?

1 Like

I’m asking the same question here, i hope we get an answer soon!

1 Like

Me pasa igual el juego simplemente se cierra y al volver a entrar pasa lo mismo y me saca

1 Like

Well my dear comrade it seems that “you simply have to upgrade”.
I had to use the very same command line during the two years I spent in the game in order to stop it from crashing on me after every second match and giving me a penalty for “quitting”.

And yes I too had and have DX11 on my PC yet the problem persisted until I started using the command line which magically fixed everything. Now that both DX9 and 32bit support has ended I’m afraid that there’s nothing you can do, but buy a better computer if you intend to keep playing the game.

Hamfisted technological advancement is a beach.
They better make all their future maps three times bigger than the current ones and do the same with the polycount of all characters or else I might come to the conclusion that there was no real reason to execute this aside of general laziness.

2 Likes

But why??? It ran perfectly… on my sh$%ty pc it ran perfectly. It WAS the only game that ran so damn fine, everything else stuttered or glitched. But hots on low graphics(well low everything except resolution) was even better than 64-bit (i tried on my friends pc). I want to know why, please?
:disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I don’t really why people are complaining? I mean, there’s almost no computers left on 32 bits and if you have one you shouldn’t even be able to play any games at all in 2018… 64 bits is widespread since Windows 7… Are you still running a potato with Windows XP on it?

thnx alot blizz i cant play wow cuz u did this now hots??? this is the last straw i wont play anymore/buy any blizzard product even when i do upgrade my comp…goodbye

1 Like

Anyway I have a 64 bit system and guess what? Since i downloaded the patch every game after 7 minutes… Guess again… Goes to hell. It either disconeccts me or frezees. Tnx blizzard for a great game for three straight years. But after this and until you either bring the 32 bit client back I’m done. Good luck in selling Hots after this move :blush:

Nice !!!

Now me and my 8 friends will uninstall this game, thx blizzard. And u lose money and players now , bye .

well… Hots is dead anyway…