Stuttering Lag Issues

Hey all,

I just started playing this game and have been having a lot of fun except for frequent lag spikes/stuttering. I’ve been looking through the forums for solutions and there seem to be many different things people have tried with limited success.

I have made sure that Dropbox, OneDrive, and the Blizzard Launcher are closed. I also deactivated Game Mode in Windows.

I’m assuming it’s a network issue since it seems to happen randomly, not necessarily when graphics intensive stuff is happening. I have a pretty powerful machine with a GTX 1070. The game recommends Extreme graphics but I am on Ultra with Vertical Sync off.

I am on Wifi, but I have a good connection and router. I have no problems playing Overwatch. I ran a WinMTR, but it seems fine to my untrained eye. Would appreciate some assistance, especially since I don’t seem to be able to post a link to the pastebin…

2 Likes

Hey, Nurnburger!

You can just post the last segment after the slash in pastepin.com and we will be able to look it up. As for the stutter, do you have the ability to test on a wired Ethernet connection to help rule out the wifi adapter/connection being the problem?

Lastly, can you save your DXDIAG to pastebin, also? This will give us a better idea what may be happening if it isn’t connection related.

Hi Ibaraius,

Two MTR runs here: c3BUTDUm and qazT2ikX
The DXDIAG is here: XmAFT1Br

I tried it out wired and it seemed to fix the issue. Two games no lag at all. Unplugged it for the next game and had multiple instances of ~1 second lag spikes.

1 Like

It looks like the test may not be working properly, the tool isn’t recording any data for these. I tend to see this when an outdated version of the MTR tool is used. We have the most up to date version listed on this page.

Of course if a wired connection resolves the issue there’s not much need for the MTR test since the issue has been identified as related to the wireless network. From here I’d either stick to wired or ask the router/modem provider how to change wifi channels. Sometimes neighbors use the same channel as you and clog things up!!

Unfortunately wired is not really a good long term option as the router is across the house and down a floor. Is there a way to determine what about the WiFi is causing HOTS to have issues? My roommate and I play Overwatch and Fortnite simultaneously on this network with no lag.

That link is where I got the WinMTR tool (v0.8). Is there something that I need to configure to get the test to work correctly?

Hey again, Nurnburger!

Sorry for the wait. The WinMTR link from our site is version 0.92. version 0.80 will not work. You would need to re-download the newest version from that link. The WinMTR tests will show if any node on the path to the server could be causing issues.

I’m using this IP address: 24.105.30.129 and I get “Unable to resolve hostname”

Has this been solved?

I noticed that my router was set up to automatically select a channel, which I thought might contribute to issues. Unfortunately setting it to a static channel didn’t make a noticeable difference.

I was able to get WinMTR to work though. Here is the pastebin: Hsf4WFcU

change sound settings in game to low, that solved the issue for me.
I’m still getting stutters but resetting the router solves the issue.

From my experience only windows players are experiencing stutters.

I know that blizzard will blame network connection to not do anything but at the very end my gf who’s playing on mac doesn’t have them at all (even when I do and we are playing at the same time while connected to the same network)

1 Like

This issue has existed since beta and will likely never be resolved. Sometimes it’s ok, but sometimes after a new patch it’s a problem again. HOTS is the only online game I play that gives me this issue.

1 Like

Thanks, Nurnburger.

|                             dlinkrouter -    0 |  993 |  993 |    0 |    2 |  **402** |    0 |

|                           142.254.237.9 -    0 |  993 |  993 |    8 |   21 | 1339 |    9 |

|          agg56.lsaicaev02h.socal.rr.com -    0 |  993 |  993 |   10 |   23 | 1006 |   22 |

|                            72.129.19.22 -    0 |  992 |  992 |   10 |   26 | 1589 |   12 |

|          agg26.tustcaft01r.socal.rr.com -    0 |  993 |  993 |   10 |   26 | 1093 |   14 |

|bu-ether16.tustca4200w-bcr00.tbone.rr.com -    1 |  989 |  988 |   11 |   26 | 1075 |   17 |

|                            66.109.5.241 -    0 |  993 |  993 |   10 |   25 | 1002 |   14 |

|                            66.109.9.161 -    1 |  989 |  988 |   11 |   27 | 1752 |   16 |

|              ae1-br02-eqla1.as57976.net -    1 |  985 |  983 |   11 |   28 |  983 |   17 |

|              be2-pe01-eqla1.as57976.net -    1 |  989 |  988 |   11 |   24 | 1332 |   14 |

|        lax-eqla1-ia-bons-02.as57976.net -    0 |  992 |  992 |   11 |   26 | 1589 |   13 |

|                           24.105.30.129 -    0 |  992 |  992 |   11 |   26 | 1591 |   12 |

The test is showing major latency spikes starting at your router. 402ms spikes at your router, and going as high as 1752ms further down the test. So it appears very clear that the issue is your wifi adapter. You will need to look into alternatives to your current wifi setup.

Are there any specific issues or settings I should look at in my WiFi configuration to try to ameliorate this kind of behavior?

Hey, Nurnburger! Wireless configuration issues are outside of Blizzard’s Technical Support as only wired ethernet connections are officially supported. If you’re able to try a wired connection, see if this alleviates the stuttering in-game.

If it does, there’s a lot of things that be done or tested to address these concerns with the wireless connection.

• Trying a different frequency may help (Switching from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz, or vice versa, if the devices support it).
  • Moving the router/modem closer or if its encased in a closet, cabinet, box.

If none of this seem to help, but a wired connection does work, it may be an issue with the network adapter settings, drivers, or even the physical network adapter. Please contact the device manufacturer to address these concerns.

I cannot switch to a wired connection and my wireless connection is crappy apparently since I get jittery lag that makes the game horrible and virtually unplayable most of the time. I miss this game, back when I had a wired router at my old house before I lost my house and my car and my bank account. Sigh.

1 Like

Hello ! Yes this game is beautiful but too greedy for a wifi network. I confirm. :confus: