Strongest hero lore-wised?

This isn’t a super important question but why are all of the “first” gods in lore called Anu?

Anu is used in The Elder Scrolls also.

1 Like

Anu is basically the first version of Zeus/Ouranos, Odin, Ra, etc. He was the Mesopotamian god of the sky, the most powerful god in their pantheon (and therefore ruler of it), and was likely a major source of inspiration and foundation for much of Greek, Egyptian, and Hebrew Mythos.

In other words, he was basically the first “God,” with a capital G, in recorded human history, which means his name gets borrowed a lot for other supreme gods.

3 Likes

we are talking about regular diablo though, not prime evil. because its also how he appears in game. if skins are included then beach tychus is also a thing, which is not true. if it were prime evil diablo then yes i agree, he is on par, maybe even stronger than DW. but im saying that the abilities in Diablo and the general “you’re facing death! lets drink a healing potion” does not make sense because these abilities are WoW player abilities too in terms of visual. imperius as seen in the cinematic, can call his weapon from the sky, and teleport a bit. and he was the best warrior in all of creation. yet that is all he can do? im saying that imperius teleporting is like a random mage teleporting. a dozen angels cannot kill deathwing, because they are just flying creatures with swords. just cause they are descendants of a powerful being does not make them some demigods or whatever. i just explained that titles mean nothing and even primevil does not convey cosmic powers. by your definition of “tathamet” primevil is as strong as sargeras. but irl is like bacteria to him.

if so, then they should’ve won easily. remember: all of sanctuary is a bit smaller than azeroth according to the maps. ( correct me if im mistaken ) so they should’ve won against the angels if so. the cataclysm affected some realities and was just a REALLY big thing.

tldr: the diablo universe just does not convey the crazy abilities their titles should mean. tell me ONE thing the fighter angels can do beside be angel-y and swing their swords.

keyword “probably”. I did not play HOTS before so i don’t have all the info. but if so then im sorry :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair enough, but that still wouldn’t make Diablo as weak as you may think. In the short cinematic DIII: Wrath, Diablo single handedly dispatches several dozen Angels, and likely would have done the same to Imperius if the rest of the Angiris Council didn’t show up in time.

Fly and move at extreme speeds, strike with enough force to cleave through solid metal and rock, and summon projectiles and blasts of magic/ether to bombard their foes.

And that’s not even the named Angels, who are significantly more powerful and often wield concept-based powers, such as Auriel’s Hope (which could be used to heal and empower allies or bind foes in ethereal chains), Ithereal’s Fate (which allowed him to mess with time and space), Malthael’s Death (which allowed him to rip out and control souls), and Imperius’ Wrath and Valor (which allowed him to summon ethereal fire and telekinetically control weaponry).

When you start dealing with concept-based powers, things can get absurdly OP extremely quickly.

1 Like

then what about the aspects, who when all combined, weaker than deathwing despite having near-equal size advantage to him? Malygos had the power to disable all mages forever if he was not stopped. nozdormu was literally named “the timeless” and was quite massive and had sand magic. alexstrasza was the queen of dragons and, while she did not have as much damage as the other aspects, she was still extremely massive and powerful. Ysera literally raised an actual demi-god , cenarius, as her child and was the queen of a titan-made reality. if she is extremely angered she goes berserk.

all of them, with their dragonflights, were in less than a couple seconds running from deathwing in the war of the ancients. malygos tried attacking him but in a second deathwing killed 95% of his flight of hundreds of dragons and hurled sindragosa, his prime consort, half the world away to northrend. and that is BEFORE his buff in cata where he was said by a reliable source (honestly forgot which) to be 10X more powerful. his armor, which is made of elementium, is one of the most powerful materials in WoW which also makes sulfuras and its “indestructible” ( it is not but no other material in WoW has that description )

dragons do that too

the late-game ingots that players craft their gear from could come from old gods , titans, etc… so you’d have to do better. the gear in cata was FAR beyond steel and rocks too.

fair, but again, a single blue dragon could nullify most magic and is considered a high-tier magic caster in WoW (players are stronger ofc hence we can kill dozens of em) . and there are many of them too. we had TONS of powers in WoW but we needed to go back in time to get the golden disc of destiny to blast Deathwing with it.

in the “wrath” cinematic, there were about hundreds of angels. hundreds. if the angiris council is there, that means this is no small force or little attack especially since diablo was inside. meaning that i cannot imagine heaven having more than
5k angels. and that’s a stretch too. anything that touches deathwing just explodes because he’s radiating fire and energy. and the angel in the “wrath” cinematic who died was casually impaled. no massive resistance or crazy armor.

basically, there is no way 12 angels can kill deathwing. there is armor advantage, power advantage, and several similar instances where deathwing won. it would take all heaven to likely get him down. and i MEAN, all heaven. just as prime evil is nearly equal to DW, 12 angels are definitely NOT.

Malfurion
Guldan
Medivh

1 Like

Deathwing.

Lets get the basics out of the way. Deathwing is stronger than Netharion was. That should be self-evident.

Netharion, the Proto-dragon, was raised to the Aspect of the Black Dragonflight by the Titans, beings whose power eclipses that of Anu (before his split with Tathamet) or the entire Xel’naga raise combined each.

Such was the power of the Titans, they could not, at their height, strike down threats like the Old Gods, or the Sporemounds of Draenor directly, for they could, by pure accident shatter the worlds they were fighting on.

By accident. And it’s no shock either, Sargeras could cleave entire worlds in twain with his sword.

And what power, did the Titans give Netharion? Khaz’goroth, the Forger of Worlds, gave unto Netharion power over the Earth and the deep places. With this power, Netharion could raise mountains, carve rivers, he could command the entirety of Azeroth’s physical being as if it were his own body.

And this was before he became Deathwing. Before the Dragon Soul. A creation with the imbued powers of the Burning Legion and each of the other four dragonflights, with it’s power, Netharion, overpowered the other aspects, nearly eliminated the Blue Dragonflight from existence.

It was the power of the dragon soul, that turned Netharion from the dragon he was, to Deathwing. A being so powerful his body could not contain his power, which is why he used Elementium plates to bolt himself together. This is why he’s got that big gaping hole in his chest that’s leaking magma and everything.

And this is before we mention that the Old Gods were also further empowering him.

By the time he dies, Deathwing was so powerful, it would take a new earth-warder, channeling the power of the Dragon Soul, which had to be aimed at a point on Deathwing that the plates that held him together were removed, to strike him down. And as his body tore itself apart, it took the combined efforts of the Dragon Aspects, Thrall, and the small army of heroes (that’s you, the players), who had before fought and bested the likes of Algalon the Observer without such aid, to finally kill him before he could tear Azeroth apart and release the Old Gods.

Literally nobody else in the game besides maybe Medivh is on his level.

It literally goes Deathwing -> Medivh -> Ragnaros -> basically everyone else is irrelevant. Diablo might survive an encounter but only because Deathwing literally wouldn’t consider Diablo to be worth his time or care about that silly joker plot device rock of his.

1 Like

oh jeez, you never played many blizzard games… maximus please tell him

Again, this is concept-based magic, and even calling it “magic” falsely implies they are the same basic thing. As you mentioned before, these are different universes, and the magics of the Diablo and Warcraft universes work in fundamentally different ways. The rules are completely different, so the only thing we can compare are results.

There are far more than that. We don’t have an exact count, but they’ve been successfully waging a war against the nearly infinite forces of Hell for eons. We know there are a finite number of them that can exist at any given time (because they are born from and carry a fraction of Anu’s power), but an exact count is impossible. However, considering that Anu’s immense power manifests itself in the form of these Angels, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more Angels than humans in the Diablo universe.

Since the Xel’naga were basically just hyper-advanced aliens, technologically, biologically, and psionically, I could easily believe the Titans outmatching them.

But if you think Titans, the literal embodiment of planets and who are basically minor gods, matches up to the Diablo universe’s capital-G God, then you are sorely underestimating Anu or overestimating the Titans.

Anu and Tathamet’s fight was so powerful, it literally created the universe as they finally struck each other down. Since Anu and Tathamet are basically two halves of the same former whole, that means that pre-split Anu had the power to create entire universes.

There is literally nothing a bunch of planet spirits and effectively minor gods have than comes anywhere close to that.

2 Likes

Them dying created a “Universe” from their corpses. Said Universe consists of a single “true” planet and a bunch of minor planes surrounding it. Calling it a Universe is a bit much.

Meanwhile, singular titans could, by accident destroy a planet, or in Diablo parlance, a “Universe” by hitting it too hard while trying to scrape off a bunch of giant super-jungles.

I’m pretty sure Deathwing (this is the DW from Cata and not the one in W2) would incinerate the entire hots roster by himself, only exception would be Kerrigan with the power of holy intergalactic whamen but that’s not the Kerrigan in hots.

In the lore? Probably Arthas, Ragnaros, Medivh for WoW, Nephalem in Diablo and Kerrigan in SC.

Although I hate the way blizz make the Nephalem, making them god-like. I liked the way D2 was made with lore compared to D3.

So in conclusion the winners are Kerrigan, Diablo and Mephisto? Because they are basically gods or semi-gods or at least immortal?

Wait Arthas? I know his power is incredible, but how he is god-like? Does it mean that the players in the games like WoW are gods too, because they beat god-like enemys?

Hmm, I think you meant this as an answer to the thread although it’s posted as a repply to my comment.

Anyway, Ragnaros is DW’s majordomo, the Lords of Hell are powerful but none of them can literally crack an entire planet, Arthas is a weakling below Lei Shen.

I’ve kinda played all games and w/o a doubt Deathwing alone can probably kill almost all the entire Hots roster instantly. Medivh is up there as well, as mentioned by some1 else Diablo might escape if he’s allowed to.

I’m still waiting for Baal though, personal favorite.

Your knowledge of Diablo lore is clearly sorely lacking.

Anu’s Spine created only one realm of the realms in the universe, while Tathamet’s corpse created another.

However, their final blow unleashed so much power that it literally caused the Diablo universe’s Big Bang, releasing an outpouring of energy that birthed the cosmos, in which the realms formed.

There are more than just the High Heavens and the Burning Hells in the universe. Pandemonium is a vast realm that acts as the gateway between all of the others, and exists basically in the “center” of the universe.

A tiny fraction of the power leftover from Anu and Tathamet’s fight formed the Worldstone in the heart of Pandemonium, an artifact so powerful that anyone who possessed it could literally warp reality and create new realms and worlds on a whim. If you let a puny unawakened human control it they could play god on a level the Titans can only dream of.

And yet all of them combined would not be able to create a new universe the way Anu’s power did when clashing with Tathamet’s (aka, itself). Anu’s power was enough to create the universe literally by colliding with itself, no direction, purpose, or design required. The Titans could never manage a feat like that even if they all worked together and planned every step out.

You’re comparing an ant colony to a Type 1 Kardashev civilization here. The scale is just so vastly different, planets versus an entire universe.

how many times must i explain, that the diablo universe IN AND OF ITSELF is weak? the main heroes and villains simply do not convey THAT much strength to say “hes a God” . technically a titan can make two realms, make life there that can somehow make a small planet called “senctuawee” and boom that’s diwabwo.

prime evil cannot make planets. and the strongest angels and demons can just compare with aspects from wow at best. the realms of Diablo are small, and while technically anu and tathamet are multiversal, the creation from their death is absolutely NOT as strong, or even close, to them. the power of the soulstone came from when they were likely alive. you will NEVER, EVER convince me that the seven demons the size of a truck each have the power of a multiversal being. i will have to assume tathemet and anu’s death SEVERELY, SE-VEEEEEEEEERELY lowered their power. because in all of their creation there is not even enough power to compare with the Gods of diablo. technically, the titans COULD make a pocket dimension for something similar to diablo since the power of the diablo universe is extremely lacking. by your definition, prime evil diablo SHOULD be stronger than several soulstones. but he really isn’t. therefore i think the definition of “gods” and such is really messed up in Diablo because the creation of the gods cannot make realms, and their power in cinematics and in game is specks of dust to their creators. anu was likely a lot weaker than you think because their creation HAS to address heaven/hell/sanctuary as “universe” because they cannot make any new realm and don’t know anything else beyond that. if the universe is so big why is the story centered around only three realms?

Please, The Worldstone is more keystone than reality gem. Because the planes of “Pandemonium” are keyed to it, it can manipulate them. It can no more affect anything beyond that than Deathwing can control Argus. And the realms of Pandemonium are more a crossroads than the Twisting Nether.

You simply can’t understand that universes are not all the same size.

You say creating new realms is beyond the power of the Titans, ever heard of the Emerald Dream? The Titans could actually hold domain over space and time themselves and could do so on a scale as to delegate that power unto others at no cost. The Worldstone could be broken by a single angel throwing a sword at it.

A bit presumptuous to compare a podunk bunch of minor planes including lasgagna hell, to the infinite cosmos themselves.

1 Like

Weird question. It is because the storyteller want that to be? How you can answer that…

2 Likes

exactly! maximus says that there are many realms of diablo. but how is it when the ENTIRE story revolves around 3, and there isn’t decisive proof that there are more than 3.

to answer your questions, the greater evils ( diablo and mephisto ) are not actually strong alone. the Prime evil however is a different story.

kerrigan is top 5 winners.

arthas is terribly weak and overrated.

overall, i’d say:
5) ragnaros
4) medivh
3) deathwing
2) kerrigan

1. malthael

ps: alot of ppl are confused, but no, ragnaros isnt DW’s servant or watever. they work together cause they have similar goals. and ragnaros specifically has a massive chance ( 7/10 ) of winning against deathwing 1v1, unlike any other elemental lord, due to rag’s massive fire advantage over DW, whose power IS fire.

Tbf and honest, canonically WoW and Diablo (but especially WoW) bosses are handled by groups and not individuals.
And not sure if you’re familiar with WoW lore and gameplay but Arthas actually killed everyone and got owned by the Light, wielded by Tirion who held the Ashbringer.

Arthas having control over thousands of undead, and having a helm that shattered shatters the existence itself sounds pretty strong and demigodlike.

But on topic: I thought this’ll be about who’s lore is the strongest, I mean based on how good the writing is and how rich is their backstory and more importantly their character development.

I’d say Malthael and Tyrael have the deepest, most crystalized lore.