South American racists

It is the same. The customary system is what American’s (USA) use and the metric system is what every other country uses, just like how only Americans say that Football is American Football, while every other country says Football is Soccer.

My point isn’t comparing the two items under discussion, but rather to explain that you’re not going to be able to change how the rest of the world uses those words.

You can’t force the world to call Football “Soccer” just like you won’t be able to force the rest of the world to use the customary system. That’s my point.

What makes it funnier is the pre-independence United States colonies fought a bloody revolutionary war against the British Empire to get out of the British political sphere of influence in 1775.

Yet the United Kingdom now uses the metric system, and the US insists on using the old British imperial system of measurements.

It’s absurd. Something you’d expect from Monty Python, not real life.

3 Likes

It’s sad when there’s a perfectly good word to prevent confusion (soccer) but everyone else decides lengthening the word football to American football solves the problem

Time to move the customary system to be renamed the American metric system. Too bad other countries use the customary system too, but i guess they could call it the American metric system too

They actually did it because they were being taxed over a bunch of dumb things, while not being represented back in Europe. At least that’s what I learned in school.

That’s what they know it as, its not easy to change that, as simple as it is.

Yes, the colonies were being taxed to death by London. The colonies also had no representation in the Westminster Parliament despite paying lots of tax to Britain.

The least you’d guess is them wanting to sever all ties with Britain once the war was over, but brits went along with the french in advancing Metric, while americans for some unknown reason decided to stay with the British Imperial system.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with HotS, but it isn’t the only unique feature of american culture (including being the only country to call football Soccer).

1 Like

This is just stupid because more people refer to soccer as football. Wouldn’t it make more sense to rename American Football (especially since they aren’t even using their foot nearly as much) something new like ouchies and rename soccer football. That would be much more consistent.

1 Like

But American Football has very little to do with kicking balls with feet while Football does

American Football is just Rugby in a fancy suit

Almost a complete ripoff of it really

Yeah I’ve never been a fan of American Football. I’m a basketball fan.

I like Rocket League too, and that’s close to Soccer.

Rocket League is amazing

I’m so happy it went free to play recently so more can enjoy

I hope it stays free to play, or at least those that got it while its free are able to keep it. I suck at it because I barely started playing but I find it so fun.

It most likely will

Games that become free to play almost always stay free