Should this kind of strategy really be in the game?

Hi everyone. I just wanted to make this post to see how people feel about this team strategy I encountered while playing Quick Match solo. Here’s the breakdown and some screenshots:

Imgur screenshot location: 3PfPnjW

Enemy team starts game by sending all 5 people into the bottom fort, they get it down to about 15% health and all die for it.

After this, they kinda chill out and let Azmo destroy it with meatballs while they contest the objectives and do some camps. We ended up heavily winning the objective fights, getting the majority of the laser shots for our team, and got some camps of our own too.

Once the bottom fort was destroyed and the first round of objectives were over, they had access to Heroic abilities and sacked every single member of their team into our bottom Keep using Morale’s Medivac. They destroyed the keep on their first attempt without dying, we couldn’t retreat to them in time.

After this they went straight to the core and did the same thing, just sending everyone into it without caring if they die. They ended up wiping once after getting the core down to 20%, it healed itself back up to 45% by the time they respawned and sent another wave of 5 heroes into it, easily winning the game. We were 2 levels ahead and obviously had far more hero kills than them. At least two of my teammates were quite upset about the situation as well.

This was a Quick Match game against a group of 5 heavily coordinated players, and my team was just randoms. Obviously, the group players are probably going to win the game every single time in this kind of situation. I just wish they used a strategy that was actually even a little enjoyable to play against, even if we got destroyed. Letting players attack the core with only 2 of the 6 main buildings destroyed is either really depressing for the other team when they abuse it, or irrelevant because they don’t try it anyway.

I’m sure other people have probably encountered something like this in the past, maybe they’ve even made other forum posts about it. I just hope this sparks some interest in talking about changes to prevent some of these strategies that are horribly unfun to play against (Gazlowes that rush bot/top lane at the start of the game and immediately destroy the health fountain before people rotate there, you’re meanies) I get that these are probably fun things to do for the people doing them, but I don’t really know if that’s worth how it makes others feel.

I’m interested to hear how people deal with this kind of strategy in the competitive modes. A change to improve the quality of Quick Match gameplay doesn’t need to make things less fun in competitive, so I hope some kind of compromise can occur if people think it will cause issues there.

Oh! Juice Pirates!
Lemme guess? They had a Tyrael with sanctification too?

As that point, what you do is whenever you get the medivac alert, go back and defend immediately. All of you. Send one person to get obj if up. It is super frustrating, and the only way to beat it is to coordinate and hit them back hard after they push. Wipe them, push hard. Repeat until someone’s core dies.

If in draft, I would reccomend zeratul if you know they are going juice pirates. He can vp the buildings so they doing die, and vp also gets past sanc to give your team time to set up a proper combo and response. Another thing to keep in mind is that the whole strat is dependent on Morales and medi-vac, so if you can kill her to stagger deaths, you can stagger rest of team so they can’t do the all in rush.

Yes I agree the strat is the cheesiest of cheese and I am sorry you have to play against it. It is possible to beat but requires a lot of coordination.

2 Likes

How though? If you watch the mini map, you should easily be able to get there in time and wipe them out with a 2lvl lead as you say.

Honestly, you guys weren’t paying attention and you just let them backdoor you to death.

In draft, when you realize they are doing that strategy, try to grab Zarya and some other heroes that can push hard and just try to push more than they can. If you keep trying to defend you will basically slowly lose the game.

We were simply trying to do the rest of the actual game (there was the second objective active) and the only warning we get is “The enemy team is calling in a Medivac” before they all appear on our fort. Even if we did go back and get them, they’d just do it again when they respawned.

I mean, if they did it once, they’ll do it again. Just have 4 people hearth and one person push. Look at your mini map and rez timers.

I’d never think someone would use this kind of strategy. Their team comp looks like a normal, albeit weak team comp for normal play. Maybe people who play draft a lot can see these things coming.

Nah i dont think morales cheese can be countered. We just need some kind of nerf against it

It’s not unheard of, there’s plenty of videos on youtube of people doing exactly what you’ve described. This strat is years old.

Sure, that’s why every morales cheese group is GM. Not!

Yeah, the primary difference for me is that people were doing this in Quick Match, where you basically get to draft your own team and the enemy gets whatever random people feel like playing. I don’t see this strategy as uncounterable or impossible to beat, but I see it as extremely unfun to at least half of the people playing the match (the victim team) and I don’t really think it should be in the game.

1 Like

Yeah, you usually try to start normal and then you pull the trigger on the last 2-3 picks so the enemy can’t react to it with picks.

When we had open division for HGC, the last game between 2 teams that were fighting for the last spot to go to crucible happened to have this strategy. The team started normal, with Tyrael and Greymane on cursed hollow. Both heroes are really good picks on that map and were even the team’s pick for the map on other matches. Then at 3 and 4 pick they got vikings and morales iirc, so the other team only had the 4 and 5 pick to counter. They won that game and got into crucible.

3 Likes

That… exactly. They act normal, make us pick randoms then picka morales tyrael sylvanas and stuff.

1 Like

Because of the nature of QM, some strategies will be way better than others. Not much we can do here honestly. We can even talk about heroes instead of strategies, some heroes will be way better for QM than in draft, while others will shine in draft but will be bad in QM. This is just the nature of QM, random things you can’t really predict.

It’s best to just forget about the match and move on. It will be pretty rare to find someone doing this again, I asure you that. I am level 1000 and something and I’ve never seen it happen in any of my games. You just had some back luck. GL on the next games though.

Yeah, I’m not particularly upset about it. I don’t blame them for doing something that strong. I just posted this to see how other people felt and have a discussion about what actually should be possible, at any level of play. Thanks for the polite conversation.

1 Like

No problem! If you’re really salty though, you can use the salt mines thread that I made:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Juice Pirates is nerfed massively since the XP rework. This has been more of a headache when Forts and Keeps gave XP. Now it actively hurts their level to do this. I say this works only when they are coordinated and you are not. They basically have to give up control in all 3 lanes. If you try hard to counter this you are just playing into their hands. The core is more resilient than you’d think. Just keep soaking, B when they go for Core, capture all mercs and enjoy as they receive even higher structure damage than they could inflict.

2 Likes

Also had this happen and you cannot HS fast enough by the time you get back they are dead and so is the fort /core

This type of cheese really doesn’t seem like something we should encourage. I wouldn’t shed any tears if they tweaked Morales’ Medivac to shut down this strategy for good.

1 Like