Report system - A letter to Blizzard

I’ll just go straight to the point.

Blizzard, we know you have said several times that we need to keep reporting people who are breaking the rules, that you guys also report in your games, that you believe in the reporting system and all those things.

Well, I’m pretty sure no player trusts that your report system actually works, and I am one of them. Yes, I keep reporting them whenever I see them breaking the rules like you told us to do. No, I don’t think they will ever get banned. You wanna know why?

I just had a game with someone who kept insulting me with all kinds of extremely bad and racists words. He even said things about my mom and my family. Do I care? Not at all. Like I said, I just reported him at the end of the match. What’s the problem then? I don’t think this guy will ever get silenced, banned or whatever you do in these cases. In any other multiplayer game I’ve played in my life, this person would get insta banned after 1 single report. And it wouldn’t even take a day. Sometimes I would get an ingame message 15 minutes after the report saying actions were taken against someone I reported.

I know I can keep checking him ingame for the next month and he won’t get punished at all. I’ve done that before with other extremely toxic players. They never get punished. It is just really frustrating.

Again, we do not care about the things those players say, but we do care when actions are not taken against them, especially when those most of the time the same players who troll/afk in our matches.

You guys keep saying we need to trust the report system and keep reporting, but how can we do that if we never see any results?

13 Likes

There’s a guy on the forum who just said he got banned

1 Like

Damn. Now THIS is too far

1 Like

I got an email once in March that action was taken against an afk (Leoric who just intentionally wraith walked into enemy territory then died over & over to structures). They wouldn’t specify what report it was, but I’m pretty sure it was them.

But that was just one email. And I can remember when I made that report, in around December.

I think you need a colossal number of reports to ever get action taken against your account for non chat offenses. I have doubts if any humans read them at all. They probably read the non-chat reports if a player rapidly accumulates a hundred (?) or more indicating they’re trolling every game they’re in for weeks.

edit - I’ve made countless similar reports before that in 2018-2019 and not a single one lead to any account action.
And these were obvious game ruiners feeding on purpose.

6 Likes

Yea some slurs/attacks should be autobans.

In the us N word is acceptable slang if you’re black so thats probably why its allowed but it just shouldn’t be allowed in hots.

2 Likes

I responded to Darak’s point on this in Salt Mines, because I experienced something similar yesterday where someone who I was partied with got spammed with ‘kys’ trash for most of the game. I know reports are automated, but there’s a description section, so when I write ‘death threat’ there, you would think maybe once every week or 2, it’d would be easy to search out specific words in reports and act on them. Like I said in the other thread I’d be glad to provide the hard evidence needed to action things like this.

Finally, there seems to be an attitude that this just comes with hyper-competitiveness, but this player afk’ed in base as well. So, in some cases the verbal toxicity goes along with disruptive gameplay. It’s actually easier to insult people while afking and in my experience they go hand in hand. Just consider the replay and screenshot thing, when players can prove it.

4 Likes

I know, I too am tired being told to kill myself.

WORDS HURT.

I wish people understood that.

At least the people in CHAZ Seattle understand my pain.

4 Likes

Funny, you know who absolutely doesn’t want these toxic exchanges happening? Video game companies like Blizzard because it’s their platform and kind of their responsibility. I’m just offering some suggestions on how to improve it, and these comments weren’t even directed at me, the point is they shouldn’t happen.

You know what problem?

The problem is the word TOXIC.

What is toxic is to you, is fine for me. Or what is fine for you is toxic to me.

1 Like

I don’t think toxic is a problem, because I’m only limiting my complaints to the very extreme examples. It’s stuff that almost nobody wants to see in a gaming experience. I don’t know what would be fine for me but toxic for you, I’m tolerating the toxic stuff, but saying there could be more efficient ways to deal with it.

2 Likes

This game should not have an option to report for abusive chat. You have the tools to freely mute other players as you see fit, for any reason or no reason. Offense is taken and not given.

3 Likes

Yea sorry no. If you want to send racist messages to someone find another platform to do so. Just because you feel brave over a keyboard doesnt mean you can do whatever you want without consequences. I dont want to play with trolls and will continue to report for abusive text.

7 Likes

Automated report system simply can’t work in a MOBA game in the long run. Not without a proper failsafe of some sort.

Because the toxic people are the ones most likely to throw fake reports everywhere. To throw a report over the slightest of things, things that don’t make sense, like because somebody picked something they didn’t like or because they missed a skillshot.

Which results in people being punished when they haven’t done anything.

So they whine that they get fake reported and punished.

So Blizzard, who doesn’t want to delegate workforce towards quality control for reports, simply increases the report threshold for having action taken against you, to prevent people being punished as a result of fake reports.

And so the toxic people are much harder to punish.

4 Likes

You could take screenshots of a player being racist, sexist, hurtful, telling people to kill themselves etc, send it to blizzard and they wouldn’t life ban them.

If blizz has a no tolerance policy where even 2 staff members just look at screenshots or video footage sent to the team who bans all day long, then it should be like;
1st phase - 24 hour ban: “we received evidence you have been abusive” blah blah blah
2nd phase - 1 week ban “this is your second warning due to XXX”
3rd phase - life ban “bye felicia”

Damn hire me and I’ll do it.

The auto reporting system sucks.

1 Like

3 strikes is so little bit… I’d rather just get multiple 1 month bans (in between phase 2 and 3 of your idea) and only ban perma if very bad.

1 Like

You would do it, even when 50,000 daily reports roll in and the backlog grows into millions after a few months?

Don’t get me wrong - I hate the automated system - but where are they going to get enough employees to review matches and replays manually from? The developer team can’t even afford cinematic trailers anymore.

There is no other option than an automated silence system when it comes to chat reports, and it’s an awful financial reality. Unless they magically assign hundreds of full time staff just to watch HotS replays all day long. Which will never happen.

1 Like

It used to double, first 1 day, then 2, 4, 8, 16… Ya get the point.

Not really sure why that changed, since after it’s 8 months, your next offense is a 16 month silence which is about the same as a permaban.

Though the problem still remains, you type anything you are vulnerable to fake reports if you play a lot of SL each day (the mode where salties are most likely to report people).

And lets face it they’re not going to dedicate a massive human team to viewing what happened in those matches.

1 Like

Not for or against, but player run tribunal is one option if we had to give an alternative option. If the automated system leads to the tribunal, then it gives an extra layer of safety to a player more than they have now. Nothing to lose

That was suggested a few times on the forum, crowdsourcing (like the Overwatch in Valve games) is probably the only realistic option of ever getting human eyes on replay files. Unpaid labor who do the job out of passion for the game (and maybe some kind of special portrait).

They’d just have to be very knowledgeable players, probably only GM’s or higher Masters. You wouldn’t really want a Gold 5 judging a player as a cheater or vision hacker because he calculated Abathur’s position in the Fog of War by following his locust timer.

4 Likes

It’d be purely for verbal complaints and abusive chat, not actions in the match. Reports for afk or other on the list must go manually to where they go now: an official blizzard person

1 Like