Remove Varian from the game

Here’s something controversial - just take Varian out of the game. In theory he’s the best hero for QM, in practice, its a just mess.

Please remove him from the game or at least remove him from the Tank category.

1 Like

They tried that. Didn’t work. The Varian players went Tank, and the enemy didn’t have one.
And players went Y U NO GIVE ME TANK STOOPID BLIZZERD?! (But only when they lost)

So he counts as a tank. (Unless that was changed again in the last patch, haven’t played Varian in months)

2 Likes

Taunt Varian is the most fun, though!

3 Likes

Your impersonation is uncanny.

4 Likes

Then they should just take him out then! Which would suck cuz i love playing him but when you’re matched with one 80% of the time you’re saddled with no tank.

For Quick Match, and Quick Match only, I think a system that might help would be to have Varian players select their level 4 talent before they hit the Ready button. This would then lock that choice (so it’s pre-selected in game) and allow the matchmaker to better match teams together.

Might solve a few issues of Tank/DPS imbalance when the matchmaker sets up the teams.

5 Likes

I don’t think moderating QM is going to work. If anything it’s going to create a slippely slope where people will eventually demand other concessions as well, like not being able to pick Water Dragon. Better not get too comfortable trying to dictate how other people play the game.

A significant portion of QM players seem to have no clue whatsover how to play but somehow Varian taunt is a problem? Tanking is hard. It’s not just picking Taunt. You also need the minimum amount of coordination and basic understanding of roles from the rest of the team. If you can’t have that, and you often can’t, going TB or even Smash is 100% the right call.

People will find ways to throw no matter how hard you try to level the field, or as one the Murphy’s laws state: “If you make something idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot.”

4 Likes

Buddy up! One single “friend” and you can have a Tank and Varian in the same team.

1 Like

I have a better idea - always put a real tank with Varian so he can actually choose between 3 options instead only taunt.

2 Likes

He still count as a tank.

2 Likes

Sounds technically too difficult for the maintenance team to pull off, but it would be the only solution that would enable his classification to be anything else than Tank for QM.

Having him classified as Melee Assassin or Bruiser is just asking for imbalance issues. People will, and have in the past, used this to their advantage by only playing Taunt Varian in QM to constantly get matches where they have a full tank and the enemy has no tank.

I think people are just too easy to blame a loss on not having a tank varian and conveniently forget when they win without one. Varian’s win rate in QM isn’t that much lower compared to his SL win rates. And his other talent options are more or less the same win rates. If you’re losing with a twin blades varian, it’s probably because they’ve got blinders on, charging in without knowing how allies are going to follow up, and refusing to peel more so than their spec. Skill and how you play the hero actually matters more than scapegoating on spec.

Yes in unfun land but not on this planet

I’d argue that he’s pretty viable where he sits in that role with a lot of flexibility in his talent tree especially his level 10 which suffered a lot of powershifts back in the day.

His Tank build is very intimidating because you will be contesting a large HP pool and a charge point and click, in the right hands he can divide kills for his assassins for some early game boost.

His Bruiser build (Colossus Smash) is also ok, good choice for solo lane shenanigans.

His weakest is Twin Blades and hasn’t really kept up with the other two, too easy to counter and struggle with value that Smash is overall a better version of it.

Overall, he’s good at what he does with some very clear weaknesses and dumpster fire talent that works well in the lower leagues but outside this, that’s it, B/A tier.

2 Likes

If all you want to do is run around twin-blading things, play Artanis!

3 Likes

I thought smash was the assassin and twin tickles was bruiser?

The other way around.

2 Likes

Well i agree with you there, the majority of QM players have no clue how to play this game.

Smash deletes people though, it’s almost as scary as taunt vs squishies.

I should have also added to my post that my reasoning stems from Varian being labeled as “Multiclass”, and is the only Hero in the game with this designation.

My idea of selecting his level 4 talent before entering the QM queue would be restricted to only Heroes that are considered “Multiclass”. As of right now, there’s only one Multiclass Hero, so this rule would only apply to Varian.

If, and I’m hoping, this game receives support in the future, and they add more Multiclass Heroes, this rule could be applied to those new Heroes as well. It would make matchmaking a little more clean.