Remember Little League tryouts?

They placed you on a random team for 10 games (at random positions in the field) and decided your skill level based on your win and loss record.

/sarcasm off

Maybe I don’t understand the problem on a computer science level, but the player rating system that "e"sports use currently are a joke.

In “real” sports, like Baseball, first they would find out if you can complete the most basic baseball skills. Then you tell someone what position you’d like to play and they find out if you know the detailed skills required to play.

If you want to play Short Stop on a baseball team, you prove to the coach you know when to cover 2nd base, when you’re the Cutoff man, what to do during a steal, and are your fielding and throwing skills strong and accurate enough to consistently get outs at first base. Can you field a pop up in short left center?

How hard would it be to create some scenarios where you “try out” your skills for specific roles in HOTS? I suspect it would be similar to the “raid” trials in World of Warcraft.

In any case, you don’t tell the best Short Stop in baseball he’s getting worse because his win/loss record is below 50%. Skill isn’t determined by team performance, and I wish some of the nerds in LA would figure that out.

However, just like Baseball, half the players speak only Spanish and in “esports” that’s an instant loss.