Put HOTS on Steam!

Just saw that D4 is going to Steam soon…

This got me thinking that maybe adding HOTS to steam would help revitalize the game. Maybe even dedicate a small team to support the game and relaunch it on Steam as HOTS 3.0! Putting the game on Steam would surely add a huge influx of players, especially if its paired with a big content update.

Might be HOTS only chance to revive tbh…

21 Likes

I’m genuinely curious as to what the steam reviews would look like.
I can see them going either way.

6 Likes

I don’t see how adding Hots to Steam would hurt it any more than it already is, I would be worth a shot.

I find it sad that on the B.net launcher and the official website, Hots is tucked away last in the menus (hidden in some resolutions), as if someone in charge is ashamed Hots exists.

9 Likes

Would definitely bring more players. I can’t believe I still play this game. It is the only game I truly never get tired of.

6 Likes

Would be the same you seen on this forum the past 5 years.

Everyone has a different, often very extreme opinion here and they all like to just fight with each other on the forums.
the one and done nature of steam reviews will be a breath of fresh air lol

I don’t know if it would work but at this point, it couldn’t hurt

2 Likes

Until the problems with matchmaking and reporting system are not fixed, Steam will not save the game, except perhaps temporarily.

2 Likes

It would help, I think.

The big problem is not steam but blizz itself though. The game is hidden. They could easily put “Heroes” as the link’s name at the top of the website but instead they hide it being ellipses. If you go on blizzard.com every game made in the last decade (including older ones) is there as a featured game…except for this one.

Blizz wants to forget heroes of the storm exists.

4 Likes

Blizzard is still butt hurt from losing Dota that they dont want to invest in this genre amymore.

2 Likes

Adding HotS to steam would require significant effort. That is fine for games like Overwatch 2 or Diablo IV which have massive on going development. HotS is sadly lacking that currently…

2 Likes

I don’t know. It’s just the platform used to access the game. How much would it really require?

3 Likes

Get HOTS on steam!

#HYPE #LESSGO #HeroesoftheStorm

7 Likes

Backend support to allow steam accounts to log into HotS by accepting steam tokens and retrieving the correct BattleNet account and data. Support for steam APIs for correct steam integration. Setup of a steam page so people can download/install the game. Debugging to make sure the steam APIs are being used correctly and no regressions were accidently made in the process. Opening steam community pages and assigning moderation resources to them.

Not an insane amount of work, but still a significant amount of work that might even require some artists to handle making assets for the steam page. Also a significant amount of QA work needed to make sure the release would be smooth and as bug free as possible. On going work required to maintain the steam community.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t this be routed through B.Net using the same method as existing Blizz games currently on Steam?

Have you met Bethesda? lol.

For the assets for the page though, I’m pretty sure theyd do what they’ve been doing from the start and just recycle old ones.

Steam dont even support Guild Wars 2 accounts so why should they do it with Blizzard accounts ?

The text is part of an article from a well-known gamer magazine (I’m not going to name it).
According to this, I think that hots entry into Steam can be difficult.

…Additionally, Valve has announced that it is developing a new content policy for Steam. The goal is to allow everything except illegal content or “trolling.” Of course, defining these concepts will be complicated, especially the second one.

Now Valve says the text will be vague enough to remove unwanted content from the platform if necessary. They do not want to give a platform to those developers who are not interested in selling games in good faith. Will it be of any use?..

Newsflash: this game is still fun. Friends and I play a round or two almost every day.
Bring this on steam and make it easily accessible pls ty.

3 Likes

Yes it would. But it still needs to be implemented into everything HotS related. HotS would also need to feed back to steam appropriately based on what is happening for correct social features.

They are doing it with BattleNet accounts via account linking. Even when you play Diablo IV on consoles the progress you make will be tracked on your BattleNet account which you can then log into on PC and if you also own the PC version then play and continue with the exact same progress.

HotS will not have issues with the policies. It is a well developed game and should still have some level of moderation, even if seemingly relaxed a bit from its prime days.

3 Likes

YES! Put hots on steam!!

7 Likes