Probably an unpopular opinion

You understand why they did it and all the reasons why it was necessary. So, why do you want to try again something which didn’t work at all? It definitely won’t work at all again.

okay, so you’re clueless.
Hotslogs profile for your account shows a total of one game.

So cannot even attempt to get a reference of skill and experience. ZZZZ

But if you think that doing this would be anything beyond an effective nerf to macro play, you’re wrong.

1 Like

It ‘didn’t work’ because their relative power against the rest of the roster was too much. If the rest of that roster shared that power, it wouldn’t produce the same result.

I’d say the same about you if you think macro level play is mutually exclusive with increased power across the board.

My main account is banned from the forums but nonetheless, it’s irrelevant because I’m simply voicing an opinion and not creating a “I quit the game and here’s why” post.

I knew there’d be backlash, hence the title. I’ll still feel the same regardless of whether we measure our private parts or not.

If my rank against yours results in you not taking me seriously, then that’s fine. I don’t value your respect.

No, I’m not wrong, you’re just narrow minded.

Hey there!

This is certainly an interesting topic, so I thought I’d put in my take on it.

I think it is absolutely a fun idea to bring back the old “greats” as it were - things like Garrosh’s original Groundbreaker, Chain Bomb KT, Battle Momentum Thrall, and Ess of Johan on Li-Ming were certainly fun to play with at the time.

As much as I like the idea of bringing some of that cool stuff back, there were good reasons why many of them were removed from the game, and I’d be worried that we’d be right back where we started in many ways. Most of the time we remove really fun things like this are due to counter-play reasons, and they either caused too much frustration or they didn’t hit the mark for having enough good back-and-forth gameplay to stay in the game. If everyone had something that could 1-shot enemies or put them at a severe disadvantage with high reliability I suppose it could be more fun, but then the game would be even more about who gets first strike and less about properly reacting to changing situations. That’s not totally a bad thing as some games do this and can have tons of fun moments, but it isn’t really the game that we set out to make.

I believe that when creating a game, you create a sort of “contract” with your player base about what is and isn’t acceptable in your game, which is largely based on the underlying philosophies that drove the creation of that game in the first place. These philosophies act as north stars that are important for a game to have at a high level to ensure that they stay “true” to themselves and meet the expectations of their players. If we kept all of those things in the game and then upped the power level of other heroes to match, I think it would be fun for awhile but it would be a different game. I believe the risk that it wouldn’t work out and our loyal players leave due to the game being too different would outweigh the possible reward of bringing in more people to play the new, different game that we would have.

Of course, I hate removing fun stuff too, so we do try to bring back these things when we can. One example of this is the current Ignite on Kael’thas. It’s not old Ignite + Chain Bomb, but it’s something.

38 Likes

Hello, I appreciate the blue response. Entirely unexpected lol.

I wouldn’t even mind if the health of heroes was increased or something. That’s fine. I just really liked the way old tracer felt or the way Garrosh’s pull felt.

Even if it meant that it wasn’t a death sentence, I truly just loved the way it felt. That’s all.

I loved being old stealth, having the suspense of determining whether I was seen or unseen, I loved the antics that depleting tower ammo had on the game, etc.

I just really liked the old renditions.

Nonetheless, this is the only MOBA I play and will play. Last hitting and arguing about last hit mechanics is not really my thing and I dislike being quarantined to a single lane all game just because I picked that spot originally. Team exp was kind of what made me play this game over LoL and still is.

Also, I think objectives also was a breakthrough in unique gameplay because it allows both teams to bring what they’ve reaped through soaking and the like and test it against the enemy team. It’s like a split and then convergence in one game.

Cool stuff.

1 Like

Good morning Ayeziza,

Piggy-backing on what Adam said - I don’t think this is an unpopular opinion, but creating asymmetrical balance between 86 Heroes is very delicate work (and has been finely tuned now for over 5 years).

We do our best to keep the vast majority of Heroe’s win-rates between 45% and 55% (currently 79/86 or ~92% of the Hero roster sits in these bounds). This is data from Diamond+ Storm League players and gets even tighter when we look at the whole population, including Quick Match.

There is a huge amount of risk with shifting the current balance of Heroes upwards, but there is a sweet-spot that we can hit where a Hero can feel OP but actually be well-balanced. We are doing our best to find the current outliers that don’t have those moments and make design or balance changes to help find them =)

24 Likes

I don’t currently mind the stealth we have right now. Think of it as a passive and not a required part of the hero’s kit. Zeratul is the least reliant on stealth because uncloaking him doesn’t ruin a part of his kit unlike Valeera who completely relies on it to shut down enemy Heroes.

I saw this suggestion somewhere but: make stealth behave in a manner that it becomes more obscure the farther they are from you (just within vision range of most heroes), but become fairly visible in close range (4 units or less).

1 Like

My personal opinion on why some heroes can feel “overpowered” without being statistically significant is that players hate the idea of lacking control.

There are heroes that are high risk / high payoff which essentially means that their success entirely depends on a random element. Being on the receiving end of a “success string” can be infuriating, and playing a high-risk hero and failing multiple times can be devastating to your morale.

I’m actually curious what your trend on design philosophy is in this regard. Are you leaning more towards high-risk payouts or more controlled macro strategies?

Release Artanis had the most boring kit imaginable, and I would likely play him far less if they reverted all his changes. Being unkillable only if the enemy team was stupid enough to face tank you isn’t interesting, and godswaps are more than half the reason to play him. If you take his combo away, he is pretty much just a melee minion.

So please, no, let’s not revert all the heroes.

4 Likes

It’s actually funny how one patch changed Artanis from being an incredibly simple hero to having one of the most intricate spell combos in the game.

That said, I still think they need to make some changes. Namely to add an extra charge to Blade Dash, and to move Phase Bulwark to level 20.

1 Like

You will take my level 13 spell armor out of my cold, dead hands. But if you like having frequent Qs. Templar’s Zeal plus Force of Will can be pretty much Q on demand. The CD is incredibly short with that talent pair.

4 Likes

I know you are, thank you.

That’s comforting lol. Seriously though, it really is.

Undoubtedly.

I guess it stems from a curiosity to see the greats collide at their prime. Like, would tracer be a problem if Illidan can smash her up and stick to her or endure with his old lifesteal?

Like a bunch of Muhammad Alis fighting against themselves but the most important note is that their old kits would be what they were. Like I said, I don’t need them to one shot stuff, I just liked the way they worked.

Obviously, I’m not a dev so I’m sure it’d increase your workload having to balance and bring other heroes up to par to a new magnitude.

I’m just spitballing ideas, throwing out my opinion, and not really expecting to be taken seriously for them.

I just like the old ‘hide and seek’ element. You’re hiding in plain sight but you’re not sure if you’re in sight. That was suspenseful to me. I played Nova religiously back then because some games had me ‘biting my nails’.

Assassinating Abathur, using my decoy to tank and then running from his retinue was just the most fun I’ve ever had. I had a friend who played stealth tyrande with me and we just had a blast doing covert stuff.

Genji’s slip and slide didn’t do it for me because it wasn’t about getting the most kills possible, it was the suspense of it all.

Fair enough, I guess my ‘unpopular opinion’ still stands lol.

I’ve used them both, it’s just a matter of preference.

The issue remains that Q is a multi-utility spell tied onto the same cooldown. This wouldn’t be an issue if Q’s utility ended at 2 utilities but Blade Dash has 4 utilities tied into it. Dodging, AoE Damage, AoE Shield CDR, Swaps.

That said, Phase Bulwark’s problem is that it interferes with all the most interesting talent tier. CDR on Phase Prism? CDR on Blade Dash? Triple Strike?

Those are fun talents that I think should represent the tier, in addition, Phase Bulwark’s stat increase is more reminiscent of a level 20 “mega talent” anyways.

1 Like

Move Phase Bulwark to level 4 and get rid of Psionic Synergy. It makes more sense there anyway.

1 Like

I mean, I wouldn’t hate a level 4 phase bulwark, but it would probably get nerfed to 25 armor.

I don’t think it would need to be nerfed, because you are trading that for more reliable shields, or being able to stay in a fight way beyond the point of sanity. It would be a far more situational pick at that level. Right now, you can have your cake and eat it, too, which is why the 50 spell armor is so strong.

Ii mean, not to be blunt, you’d be giving yourself Phase Bulwark much earlier in the game. That’s why it would be nerfed. Maybe not 25 armor, but 30-35 armor range for sure.

But your shields would be less frequent, or easier to burst through, so you wouldn’t have the spell armor up as often as you can now, which would make it much easier for burst or combo mages to delete you. They just watch your shield timer, and kablooey.

But then you’d have to compare that to 50 spell armor that’s up roughly 75% of the time.

Without Shield Battery, it won’t be until very late game.