Periodic "Stutters"

Hello Everyone,
After scouring the Forums and trying almost anything im gonna ask you.

I get weird periodic stutters while plaing the game. I have some footage of it here:

I have tried a lot of things here is my progress:

1. System requirements are definetely reached -> 1080 Ti 32 gb RAM AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight Core + HD where the game is on is about half full.

2. My Graphics card is not being overclocked (manually) and the boost 3.0 of Nvidia cannot be changed. I checked with MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z

3. Its not Network related -> i have a glassfiber Connection directly from the wall and i am connected to the proper EU Server. Internet Speedtest: http
    s://gyazo.com/cbde150bcf3982ec86237357f6553b36

4. Other Things i tried -> Reinstalling the game, Swapping monitors, changing almost every Graphic Setting that i can change, Changing Priority and the Cores used in Taskmanager.

I am really at a loss here. My freinds want to play hots again but playing like this just makes me Salty and Tilt. Help would be apreciated

2 Likes

I think stutter problems are related more to internet malfuncion than config problems, at least was in my case. Does this happens everytime you play or just at random?

looks like connection dropping to me. i could be wrong but thats how it appears.

i suggestion starting off with a WinMTR to at the very least get that tested so i can be seen whether there is something going on there or not.

run WinMTR while you are playing and experience the stuttering. then paste the results here and surround it with the ``` tag.

Forum Syntax Help Thread

1 Like

It is all the time when im playing sadly.

This has the symptoms of an unreliable connection with the HotS servers. As Morogoth described run the recommended WinMTR tests.

Just because your internet connection is fast and reliable does not mean the connection between you and Blizzard is. The packet will traverse many internet nodes between your router and the Blizzard server centre and all it takes is 1 of those nodes to be over capacity for your play experience to be ruined.

The WinMTR tests can be useful to prove that the problem stems from a node outside your network. If this is the case you can potentially raise the issue with your ISP, although it is unlikely this will solve the issue. Hopefully if enough customers raise the issue then the ISP might raise it with the owner of the problematic node, or divert traffic via another node instead.

Hello, i tried it out. Turns out there is an issue somewhere along the connection path but im afraid that this is outside of my expertise. Atleast i know whats wrong now! :slight_smile:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| internetbox.home - 1 | 489 | 487 | 0 | 1 | 15 | 5 |
|1.134.203.62.dynamic.wline.res.cust.swisscom.ch - 0 | 497 | 497 | 2 | 4 | 31 | 2 |
| 193.134.95.65 - 0 | 497 | 497 | 2 | 3 | 29 | 2 |
| i69lss-005-ae11x0.bb.ip-plus. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 2 | 4 | 40 | 3 |
| No response from host - 100 | 99 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| ae-2-7.bear1.Milan2.Level3. net - 38 | 197 | 123 | 15 | 15 | 30 | 15 |
| BLIZZARD-EN.bear1.Milan2.Level3. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 16 | 19 | 85 | 16 |
| ae1-br01-eqml2.as57976. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 30 | 32 | 110 | 30 |
| xe-0-0-1-1-br01-eqpa4.as57976. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 30 | 33 | 125 | 30 |
| et-0-0-29-br02-eqpa4.as57976. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 30 | 33 | 115 | 30 |
| et-0-0-3-br02-eqam1.as57976. net - 2 | 470 | 464 | 30 | 56 | 3223 | 30 |
| et-0-0-67-pe01-eqam1.as57976. net - 0 | 497 | 497 | 30 | 33 | 91 | 30 |
| 185.60.112.157 - 0 | 497 | 497 | 30 | 30 | 36 | 30 |
|____________|||||||
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

i hope somebody finds this. i cant figure out how to open a ticket or ask a question on forum

seems like you may be on wireless? you have a high latency on your first hop (15ms).
| internetbox.home - 1 | 489 | 487 | 0 | 1 | 15 | 5 |

try these:

• restarting router to see if this helps
  • connecting through wired connection

Yeh we can see the problem is entirely connection related. 3.2 seconds means stutter as you were unable to communicate with the Blizzard servers for 3.2 seconds.

You are losing packets on your first hop to your router.

If you are using a wireless local network connection then this is your problem. Wireless is not reliable as it is very prone to packet loss due to electromagnetic interference. This is why it is not recommended to game with a wireless connection.

If you are using a wired connection like Ethernet then either the cable is too long or there is a problem with the router. Try restarting the router/box to see if that helps.

It could also be caused by excessive network traffic. One wants to make sure that the local network is not overloaded as when buffers fill up latency increases and can eventually cause packet loss. One can try selectively disconnecting devices and making sure that the current system is not generating excessive network traffic and rerun the tests. Ideally you want network utilization to be under 30% when gamming for optimal latency.

1 Like

I am using a wired connection.
Ill try to fiddle with the Router, ill be back.

on this note here blizz has said that these servers deprioritize ICMP. so since it wasnt consistently high i figured thats all that was happening there.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/high-latency-ping/24098/3

If they are forced to drop ICMP traffic due to “prioritization” it means that the node is overloaded and prone to dropping TCP or UDP packets as well.

Some nodes might limit the frequency of ICMP responses. This is for flood control.

I am experiencing the exact same thing and also made a post here in the forum about it (though I realize now that this is US-forum and I’m EU). However, I’ve seen quite a few posts on this matter and one thing many of these posts have in common is that it worked without problems before the latest big patch and then the problems started occuring.
It is a very annoying problem, wich ofc makes me and probably alot more people tilt during these frustrating games.
(I’ve also dont the WinMTR tests and they showed the same thing, somewhere along the line something make the ping skyrocket).

I had this issue going on a long time ago and it drove me crazy, tried everything hardware, software, and internet changes even had gotten a new computer and ran into the same problem eventually. It actually ended up being a problem with one of the windows 10 updates i had installed.

I reverted back to older updates. and turn off the auto updater and never had the issue again. Don’t know how concerned you are about your windows updates and such however it is something to consider trying. hope this helps good luck.

Also take a look at your windows event log and check under system.
some people have errors that look like this
“”
application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-
**}
“”"

You’ll be able to google the error numbers you have and see how to grant the proper permissions to them these config / service files… could be spamming your pc as you’re playing causing stutters and / or complete comp crashes & restarts.

I, too, have had this problem in the past and most recently right after a Windows 10 update. Have run around trying to figure out what the problem is just like the ones listed above. Made sure I didn’t have crazy things running in the background etc. This almost always coincides with a windows update. :frowning:

And it is the Windows 10 updates that cause more problems than just the lag spike type game play. I have found that a simple reboot is often the only thing I have to do. Or an overnight shutdown of my computer. I come back and things are good again. At least with my games.

So remember “update Tuesday and reboot Wednesday”. Shouldn’t have too many issues as long as you reboot after an update. Good luck and I hope this is all you need to do too. :wink: