Now that Chen's rework is live, I have some feedback about his kit

I did have some complaints about the updates but playing solo in full-AI games (there were around 14 people online on PTR, tops, at any given point) and not using his 4s shield duration properly had a lot to do with it. Not being able to use Breath of Fire for utility like destealth/bushcheck/dismount is annoying, but the strengths far outweigh the weaknesses.

Playing with/against elite AI is nothing like playing against actual players. They do some weird things

1 Like

The players or the AI do weird things?

1 Like

This whole rework is a very good step in the right direction for chenā€¦appart from 1 thing.

The delay between keg and breath.

For me it ruins what was a fluid ability rotation and you are forced to just slapping autos around. It serves no meaningful balance purpose as far as i can tell and makes the whole combat rotation feel clunky.

6 Likes

The AI does weird things

the new rotation is keg>aa>kick>aa>breath. It feels pretty good once you get used to it.

And yeah, sustained damage is proving to be harder to deal with than burst tbh, like either lots of cc is still annoying or lots of sustained damage is also annoying. Gotta keep trying more games to find out

Oh yeh i figured that rotation out pretty quick but it just doesnt feel right. Especially on an energy style based hero. weaving in autos because a clunky mechanic forces you to do so doesnt change its clunky nature and it kinda forces you into builds that make use of those filler autos.

I would like to get some sort of reason why they would implement it this way.

they wanted the enemy to interact with Chen by doing that. There is a threat somewhere about it, or you can find it in reddit.

Also Chen does actually a lot of damage so the staggering of abilities kind of makes sense. It feels good once you get that breath off

I played 3 games of QM with a friend and got bodied lol. Might just need more time to get used to him but theyā€™ve been a far cry from the draft games from earlier. MORE PRACTICE

granted thereā€™s not much you can do when youā€™re laning and all you hear is the sound of your team dying repeatedly. I looked down once and saw our Ana was actually in front, facing backwards to heal our team with her D activeā€¦ dying a few moments later. Likeā€¦ Idk. Just need some more games lol

hate it so far, plays completly different than before.
give us back old chen and give this hero a new skin & name

Nubkeks ew

chen rework ew

his rework is garbage his even worst then before , he will have the lowest win rate

1 Like

I won 5/6 woehoe!!

But yeah who counters chen. Because he can dive easy on AA heroes.
So I think malthael with reduced healing on 7. Tychus or sonya. On paper AA leoric sounds also like a good counter

1 Like

Itā€™s not easy, is it? You really have to be smart about stagger vs. drinking and the timings and whatnot. Iā€™m not even sure I understand the builds that well and Iā€™ve had some mixed success, being on the giving and receiving ends of titanic destruction.

Interesting, Malthael huh? Historically heā€™s been not much of a problem, but I guess with the AA level 1 the healing begins to matter. Tychus can still do a lot because of grenade + his damage output, he may be an even bigger counter than before (until you get EB at 7).

Man his ability timings though, they definitely have to be on-point. If you miss Stagger at an important point that is often times the fight being lost right there, or if you start drinking with a big Stagger dot in the wrong position, but drinking in the wrong position has always been bad. A good stagger timing though, and good drink positioning, and youā€™re insanely tanky itā€™s ridiculous

Think malthael is a battle of skill and where you fight, think in the minion wave Malth has the upper hand and on point like dragon shire shrine Chen has the upper hand

Btw I was against a thrall who had the upper hand because of ganks and mistakes, then I remembered that you said the varian CS thing and I went Elusive Brawler. He went with the stacking lvl 7 (Maelstorm weapon) And after lvl 7 I got the upper hand. So ty for that!

2 Likes

I had some games where I was an unstoppable panda themed force, and others where I just got shut down hard. Still not sure why, although I think it came down to how much CC the enemy team had.

2 Likes

thatā€™s still a common theme I think. But you have more counterplay for burst against more types of teams, so itā€™s not quite the sameā€¦ itā€™s weird. I notice I hate knockbacks a lot more now because you want to be autoattacking and getting knocked away, especially out of kick range, sucks. And you donā€™t even want to kick back in when your whole team gets knocked back because then youā€™re just free, unless you have stagger up and your team can afford to re-engage. Iā€™ve had some rough times vs. E.T.C. so far but I have a feeling thatā€™s not a given, as Iā€™ve had pretty good times vs. Diablo (then again his cc is more bursty and less frequent where E.T.C. and his goddam W are a constant annoyance)

I feel like everything he does can be interrupted. Stagger > stun, D > stun, split into elementals > stun. Dead. I mean this is certainly a learn to play issue for me, butā€¦ So many channelled abilities!

1 Like

Stagger doesnt get interrupted. Itā€™s just a matter of using it before the cc lands, it will always last full duration

While he was always kind of a threat in the right hands, now he feels like more of a pressing threat with his greatly increased functional sustain/damage, especially earlier in the game, with more build options and play styles. Corollary also being that heā€™s more unpredictable, creating more opportunity for mind games and mixups. Really liking it so far. He feels like a true bruiser now.

Agreed. Even more if youā€™re in a game where Elusive Brawler is good, since youā€™ll have 3 options to mitigate damage in addition to autoattack healing. It feels amazing how much uptime you can achieve between them and the autos.

Though I have yet to play a game where 1-4 isnā€™t EoT and AF. I donā€™t know if I will. Blizzard, please buff SSR and FI at 1. Maybe Iā€™m wrong but in my mindā€™s eye they would be costly to take.

E: Globe talent might actually be good sometimes as-is, itā€™s mostly SSR that seems weak. It used to be carried by Keg spam build, it feels really unimpactful. Youā€™re mostly ever hitting 1-2 people with abilities, if you hit avg of 3x with combo and 1 with kick youā€™re looking at ~200 hp baseline per ~7s rotation during fights with no bonus damage. Idk about it. If it procced off of burn ticks it could be broken good. Maybe Iā€™m not appreciating that kind of sustain on top of Chenā€™s base kit, I want to say I doubt it. Anyone try it in games yet?