Now i know how bronze elo hell can exist

You just have to grind out 20 times more matches but i guess once you got higher you also win/lose more points per match…
In that sense it just takes longer until something changes with your rank but longer doesn’t mean harder :smiley:

1 Like

It’s not real in the sense that people think escape is impossible. It entirely is possible.

It just drags out so long that you usually improve just as fast as you climb, making it seem like hell.

The illusion of it seeming impossible, and the part that compared to other tiers it requires an excessive number of games to do so is exactly why its called hell.

And if you are slightly above that rank, you simply wont rise at all (which is essentialy what is needed in order to start to rise faster). Sure, you are close to your actual rank, but you are suffering from those that are significantly worse.

That these issues exist make it real, as its just a name for a certain situation in which a lot of people get stuck.

And its amplified because people usualy consider themselve higher in skill than others. But even masters have tested this issue before and they did notice that getting out of bronze was harder than getting out of silver (note that for them it was still easy to do, as the skill diffirence is simply just too large in this), but that is just a clear indication of it existing though. It might have become less as the lower ranks have spreaded out more over time though.

Yes, but you’re never truly stuck.

I agree the climb sucks and it takes forever sometimes and can feel like a lottery.

But if you can’t get out of Bronze after a few seasons, you likely belong there. Ranking up is a slow and painful process. It just takes a few seasons to see movement, but you will move with enough time.

2 Likes

The diffirence between bronze 5 and silver 1 isnt that big though, and near bronze 5 you are often going to face those in bronze 5 which truly make it a lottery. But this small diffirence makes it very hard.

It is easy once you know how you get out, but when stuck, there is no player to look for to improve, you dont see a lot of good players around after all. And in the end, to get better, you generaly need to be able to copy behaviour from them and try that out (something that you generaly would do in normal games anyway).

But yes, that shows it can be done, but the effort required is often a bit much.

If i just look at the skill diffirences i used to face in tf2, it just showed the same issue, bad players copy behaviour of bad players and remain bad because of that. Just because they dont see a good player of which they can copy the behaviour. And once they do, they will just see a 1 sided stomp happening and still have no idea why because they cant even follow that player as he responds too fast to actions and has very good map awareness.

It exist if you think just hard enough, it’s all in your head.

You can climb very much by just abusing low tier cheese tactics that normally don’t work in high play or just you know, practice basic tactics?

1 Like

Nope. Can’t carry high bronze

A good analogy only in that that man’s ego was far too inflated for his skill level.

He brushed off a 15 year old fan who just wanted a card autographed, and not even in person. I had the defensive coach bring it in for it (mid-90’s after the Cowboys won two superbowls) because my family knew his family from church. Dude just refused to sign it entirely because he was too good to ‘pander to a little girl who didn’t understand football anyway’

Whatever, I got an autographed Troy Aikman jersey, AND I was allowed to hold and wear a real Superbowl ring, for about 15 minutes before I had to give the ring back.

You’re taking this a bit too seriously.

Eh?

I was just relating an anecdote. EXCUSE ME FOR PARTICIPATING IN A CONVERSATION.

Yes you can. Just play a global map hero like Falstad or Azmodan and just push the entire match.

People in Bronze play like they have zero map awareness, so if you just push a lane all match you’ll easily win.

Or, pick gank heroes like The Butcher, Valeera, or Nova and just punish solo pushers.

Those strats won’t work at a higher level, but they’ll get you out of Bronze very quickly.

If I remember right, at the top of Bronze 5 the point gain is around 50-80 per win (this is once you surpass ~750 points). So it does get a bit easier, but only when you are already very close to promoting to B4.

Can’t say for sure how much the point gain is, this is only based on forum and Reddit accounts of people describing or screenshotting their experiences.

It’s hell in the lowest leagues for someone whose skill level is, say, silver or gold. At a rate of 17 points per win and loss they wont get out of there in a year of casual playing.

It could be worse though, at the very bottom (players with 0-99 points in Bronze 5) they may gain as little as 3-5 points per win and loss. Now that is torturous.

If they wanted to make it more immersive, just go the LoL route and make a real league under it (their game calls it Iron). It’s more fun to get 200 points for a win at Iron 5 than it is to get 17 points for a win at Bronze 5. It gives the player some sense of progression.

1 Like

No. Unless the player is in a group, Elo Hell applies to everyone in this game to some degree, regardless of skill. It’s a fundamental (and widely known) flaw in the matchmaking system, albeit less prevalent in high ranks due to less variance in player skill.

Still, you are correct that it is technically escapable… just a real pain in the hindparts.

1 Like

Yes, because of the slow climb, you can improve faster than your rank does, making it APPEAR as though you’re not improving. That’s the “hell” part of it.

You’re going to climb, just probably only at a 55% winrate which is slow.

Bronze is super easy to get out of, though. just push lanes and 99% of the time the enemy won’t do anything about it.

1 Like

Okay, if this is what you were trying to say initially, this would be somewhat correct; your skill does improve faster than your rank.

Yes, that’s what I said / was trying to say. I apologize that the general intent wasn’t clear enough lol.

When people talk about ELO hell they usually say it’s an inability to climb which is not true. The only way you won’t be able to climb is if you truly belong at the rank you’re at.

Most people who make the “I’m stuck in Bronze” threads usually sit on the “I know everything” or “peak of mount stupid” point of the Dunning Kruger curve.

Usually Master players are on the “slope of enlightenment” or for this graph the “trust me, it’s complicated” pool of players. The first step to improvement is to look at yourself and ask “what am I doing wrong here?”

It’s exactly what I did to get out of Bronze all those years ago.

Weird that people are saying ELO hell doesn’t exist. It absolutely does!

The reason why it exists is 2-fold.

1st off, when you’re low rank and have low ranked players on your team, regardless of your plays…you can’t stop that Butcher from not cancelling their charge and derping out on a gate as the targets runs behind towers. Or you get that 15 death in 11 minute Leoric…good play can’t make up for that nonsense…never mind that few players make no mistakes all game…so the compounding mistakes just pile up really fast.

2nd…smurfs cause issues at lower ranks because they make the 1st issue even worse as smurfs generally make less mistakes than a new/bad player and know how to capitalize off of those mistakes.

Combined, you get a feedback loop of “ELO hell” where it becomes really difficult to get out of a lower rank.

This is why consecutive wins should yield bonus MMR, to promote smurfs into their proper leagues quickly (and if they start throwing games to prevent this, then they can be banned) and why losses vs consecutive win players should net less lost MMR, that way if someone who’s on a 10 game winning streak wrecks you, you don’t lose MMR and they gain some.

Although the Dunning-Kruger effect is a bit overused in gaming (and doesn’t fully apply to HotS)… this is definitely a charming graph!

It has become a meme at this point, but it is still very applicable. I know a lot of people that sit on the peak of mount stupid. Me included.

For instance, I didn’t know how much I didn’t know about Computer Science until I got a degree in it. That graph is very much my experience earning my degree.

There’s no lack of stupid, that much is true. If only we could figure out how to fuel our cars with the stuff…

…anyway, Dunning Kruger is a meme, but it’s also applied to situations which don’t fit the model. DK assumes that an individual is self-evaluating without any information regarding the performance of their peers. This isn’t the case in HotS; not only do you have the scoreboard, you can see who is doing what, and how well.

While i suspect that the same force that the leads to the Dunning Kruger effect also leads to much of the angst in HotS, one thing isn’t the other.

Yes, I know I’m nitpicking… but this is a nit that needs to be picked.