Nova brings nothing to the fight that isn't replaceable

Personally; I think Nova is bar none, the WORST hero in HotS.

She offers literally one thing to the team; ranged burst dps - and she doesn’t even do it well.

And in return she loses all utility and role versatility. The best she can do is snipe low health heroes and bribe camps.

I think she needs a little love, like make losing stacks work differently…say if you miss a shot you lose 1 stack, not all of them. And maybe lower her mana costs for everything but Decoy by 15%?

Maybe that will be enough, maybe not…but something has got to change. Nova is a trashy hero that throws games and brings nothing that isn’t done better by other heroes to a fight.

2 Likes

I’d argue nova brings something that is hardly replaceable.
The shame of being killed by such an handicapped hero.
Only getting killed by AA probius or slapathur is more humiliating than that.

14 Likes

Nova is super oppresive if you lack any hero in your team with the tools to deal with her.

5 Likes

Yeah but you have to really have a bad comp for that to happen. Almost everyone has AoE to reveal her with - and after that she’s just dead unless someone peels the chasee off of her.

1 Like

The demoralization factor lol

5 Likes

Like other stealth heroes and dive assassins she has great gank potential leading to a fear factor. She also has bribe which can help steal enemy camps, or keep your own team in lane longer while you quickly take a camp. I have seen great nova players bursting the enemy back line early in fights which lead to a team fight win. I have also seen great nova players with sustain damage in team fights (something I am not personally good with).
I do think she needs tweeking like a ton of other heroes. She is too niche for today’s meta.

2 Likes

That isnt much diffirent to butcher, and the butcher gets that situation a lot more often.

If a hero exists purely to punish a bad draft, and cant feature anything else, then its not good. The butcher even with some counters to him, can still be a danger to face. Nova with a few counters is almost useless.

2 Likes

this. it’s her secret weapon

1 Like

No.

Nova is a mid-late game assassin, what can bring good poke damage by Q build or burst dmg by W/Anti-Armor Shells build.

All she needs is level, just like Zeratul. With 7, 13 and 16 levels she gets all necessary tools to be very effective. You just need to know - what exactly do you need from Nova? Do you need her to deal a lot of damage over time or you need to deal damage to one target as fast as possible to finish it or drop its HP from 100-0?

Yes, Nova doesn’t have good waveclear, but she has good target-hero damage. She’s pretty annoying and dangerous if you don’t have some mobility or dive to reach her and kill.

With Q build she becomes like Chromie or Li Ming or Hanzo - long-range poke, with AA/W - ranged Butcher (with Anti Armor Shells, what hit like a track + minus 15 AA armour) or Colous Smash Varian (she can use -20 armour debuff on someone by W up to 2-4 times, what is useful when your team follows you and focus rebuffed target).

This is an example of Q build.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/595355327507988521/750813078672638002/unknown_6.png?width=839&height=472
If my team wasn’t so bad as you can see on picture, it could be easy to win. I literally was carrying my team by Nova.

1 Like

No, Nova brings nothing to the fight that isn’t replaceable by a better hero.

Want high damage at range? Pick almost any mage character.
Want to play a Stealth hero? Play Zeratul.
etc, etc

Everything Nova does, someone else does better.

So you tell me that dealing 2x more damage than enemy main dmg dealer isn’t enough?
Here’s another game, where I dealt same and more damage as Li Ming, who is one of the best damage heroes.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/568927108278124544/721417069119143936/unknown.png?width=839&height=472
In this game I used W/AAS build. With Deckard’s and ETC’s CCs it was very easy to land our damage. When Genji tried to go into our backline, he was losing 1/3 or half of his HP from me before other heroes killed him.

Nova can deal tons of damage like other heroes. And I explained why, how and showed you proofs.

2 Likes

there isn’t a single hero in the game that doesn’t bring something ‘replaceable’ by another hero. That is to say, what any hero does, another hero can do as well.

If you’re pressed on it, then you’ll probably just move the goal post more and more cuz the point isn’t the particulars of what is ‘replaceable’ but rather, that you think she is the worst.

Part of the issue for Nova is that the sort of tasks she could fill have been power-creeped elsewhere. Scouting tools don’t do much because other heroes don’t have enough mana tension to be punished for scouting bushes and corners with their own abilities, so utility for ‘scouting’ effects is lost.

Similarly, sudden damage bursts from “out of nowhere” are “anti fun” so the metrics of how she deals damage has to be staggered and delayed such that other heroes tend to get their stride earlier.

If she had other utility then it offsets the point of an invis hero (to be invis) but even then, of the effects that nova has, she does get debuffs earlier than other ranged heroes, so as a utility deeps, she actually is a bit better that other picks – which tend to come from healers instead – so part of the issue of the game picks is that players expect nova to be lead dps, and in that area, yea, other heroes have better opportunity to deal damage from further away, with lower mana costs, and more waveclear.

But as a damage-enabler? Yea, there aren’t very many options that suit that role (tyrande being the most notable) but at the end of the game, boosting the stats of other heroes doesn’t reflect well on the utility hero, so it’s no small wonder people overlook that in favor of padded stats they can admire instead.

Does something need to change for nova to make her ‘better’? Arguably yes; she could have a better fit for utility options, reference more ghost stuff, or get a ‘tassadar’-like rework to shift some of her ability set in a way to make room for other heroes (eg spectre pants mcvoodoo) or to have a unique tool-rotation kit that references the Nova spec-ops expansion.

Part of the issue for Nova is that she’s a poster-child that didn’t have her poster-product actually see the light of day, so what ‘fantasy’ that would be particular to her is spread out over a bunch of partial iterations. The same thing happens for Valeera where she doesn’t have a personal fantasy to represent, and is a generic reference to a span larger than she should have.

That especially doesn’t help that both are ‘stealth’ heroes, so they have this section of their power pie that doesn’t suit as well their role as slotting another hero that just doesn’t have stealth, or rather, could just be granted stealth from another hero instead.

10 Likes

Damage isn’t everything, orb liming can get high numbers and contribute next to nothing if she just pokes targets all game.

All Nova does is target half dead squishes. That’s it. The team loses a body, loses additional wave clear, loses rubust CC, etc.

She’s just not a good hero and even if you can make her work, you could have won the game for your team much more convincingly playing just about any other hero.

That’s the issue, she’s just dead weight because she only does one thing and that comes at a massive cost to the team.

I think she just needs a total rework, give her multiple weapons like in her campaign that she can switch between.

A sniper and a shotgun would do the trick, Keep stealth as her disengage tool by giving her unstoppable for X seconds when she enters stealth without receiving or dealing damage - and give her a long cooldown to switch modes so if you pick the wrong toolset, you’re stuck with it for a while.

1 Like

Are you kidding me? You can’t replace those Deathranger skins.

2 Likes

There’s a reason you take Nova over other assassins and that’s to gank enemies. She can go from lane to lane undetected and her burst is enough to kill many heroes. She wont take down targets by herself but with a little help she’s easily one of the top gank heroes.

She gets bribe and not just bribe from minions but hero kills too. She also brings a ranged point and click slow to her team. I guess vision from a stealth hero doesn’t count as utility now?

Look, I think Nova could use some light changes too. You can’t over buff her though or she immediately becomes broken.

1 Like

I miss her old version, you just spec armor piercing shells, buff your images to do more damage, used to be able to blow up squishes before they even knew what was going on.

If that happened to me I wouldn’t even mind tbh

You’ll still get contrarians on the forum saying let players play what they’re best at, nova is just niche, she just had to land her skillshots, she’s late game

What do you think of Nova reworked to resemble that of her Nova Covert Ops counterpart? Maybe she focuses more on ambushing?