Not a Starcraft Hero

First Gnoll Hero. It was quite understandable imo and this seems like unnecessary nitpicking tbh.

3 Likes

Protoss are vastly different from each other and almost like a complete different race to WC standards. Terrans use mech suits that are very unique unlike the generic fantasy races from WC wich can basically be reduced to magic and medieval weapons.

There are amazing WC heroes like Medivh that is one of the best designed heroes but the vast majority are kinda the same.

5 Likes

That’s not how it works. The hard part of making a hero is the programming and modeling. You can make a hundred concepts, and concepts will often change during the design process.

Also, I’m sure the team would prefer making their own concept over taking someone else’s. They make the heroes that they want to make, not the heroes that fans hound them over the most (although those things can overlap).

1 Like

First GNOLL in the game, not gnoll hero.

You know, I guess that destructoid quote does sound like they’re working on it when I reread the article. Fair enough.

I have no problem with this to some extent. But it’s difficult to not feel ignored when SC goes 3 years(including the time until next release) without anything.
Especially when one of those years saw 7 other heroes released.

2 Likes

Drop it, dude. You’re salty and nitpicking. You know exactly what I meant.

2 Likes

Knowing the people I see here sometimes…it’s hard to say what you meant exactly.

i don’t know why they didn’t choose a wc hero that would correspond with the release of shadowlands, like bolvar or maybe even the jailor

I don’t really have a better response to this, other than “no”.

Keep in mind, that:

• the main focus is not franchise but kits (and a bit popularity/name)
  • we get like 3(?) Heroes/year with 6 franchises existing, so hard to not create year long gaps
  • Covid hit
  • Big Heroes usually revealed at Blizzcon(line) and both Mengsk and the Overmind look like Blizzcon material
3 Likes

What a shame. I guess got you a generic unit swinging a waeapon is more complex than hi-tech.

A protoss can be a small machine, an spell caster or a heavy armored robot. A terran can be all sorts of vehicles and mechas. Diablo units are amazing unique despite being part of fantasy genre and overwats units are made to be as unique as possible unlike WC units that are way to similar to each other in order to create fake diversity. That’s why the units that aren’t playavle in WoW are the most unique units in Hots. The dragons, the murloc and the older units are amazing, but the later ones are meh. The characters are good, but not the designs.

4 Likes

He could have some bribes for sure

The sad news (for non-warcraft fans) is that Warcraft has the largest amount of characters in the game, which means it has the highest chance to have new heroes often.
But I really wanted Hydralisk or Overmind to be the next hero ;-;

Do they use fan made concepts as inspirations?

1 Like

Do you want a giant robot? Warcraft has those.
Do you want an airplane? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a spaceship? Warcraft has those.
Do you want anachronistic modern tech? Warcraft has those.
Do you want space aliens made of energy? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a mech suit? Warcraft has those.
Do you want an immortal wiseman? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a crazy carny? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a dinosaur? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a suicide bomber? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a physical god? Warcraft has those.
Do you want demons from the depths of hell? Warcraft has those.
Do you want a bread vendor? Warcraft has those.
Do you want an ancient undead Viking? Warcraft has those.

StarCraft has sci-fi. Diablo has gothic horror. Warcraft has LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Point being, there is a limit to the scope of things that can have another franchise’s tag. There is no such limit to Warcraft. It’s wild. It’s been expanding for twenty-five years.

10 Likes

If WC has everything, why can’t you use limited SC ideas before using WC?
If you use something from WC, what SC has too, it will be bad. Why? Because SC won’t be able to offer something else, while WC has more options.

4 Likes

I’m not saying that Warcraft is stepping on StarCraft’s toes, nor should it. I’m saying that two Warcraft releases can be so far removed from each other, that they may as well not be the same franchise. StarCraft just doesn’t have that luxury.

That is true, and also disappointing. I accepted early on that WC was going to get more releases. I know the devs enjoy what they do so maybe it doesn’t matter as much, but some people are here for one franchise or another. I like WC, but it just doesn’t draw my interest SC does in heroes.

Yeah, but since Deckard we had a solid 8 months before the infamous announcement happened. If 2018 was similar to 2019 or 2020 I’d be more understanding. But the first year of the SC gap saw 7 new heroes added. There’s currently been 11 releases since Fenix. there’s no excuse for not freeing up a slot for SC sometime between Deckard and now, even if things slowed down this and last year.

Fair enough

Fair enough, but there are other possible SC heroes.

I don’t agree with Gishki’s assessment of WC, but I don’t think it’s fair to just group SC by species like that. That’s only a significant thing with Warcraft. There’s a lot of potential diversity to be had in gameplay/appearance with SC.

Would you be fine with them rushing out every SC idea and then SC not getting anything forever?
Or it’s better to pace them out?
I think it’s better to keep potential Heroes for every franchise to ppl to look after them, instead of hitting a line when it’s only WC and OW.

1 Like

OMG You’re right! It always blows my mind when I think about WoW being in the high fantasy category but also having aliens… It’s like J. R. R. Tolkien meets Star Trek meets H. P. Lovecraft! LOL

1 Like

WC have it in concept but what we have in game is as boring in design at possible.

Let’s look at a positive example, Arthas. The lich king has an sword but he only uses it for animations and his basic attack, but he also has a gigant dragon, an army, ice powers and undead powers. Now that is a good and unique design. Now let’s look at bad designs like Garrosh amd Zul’jin. They are only A X E, that’s all.

Another good one, Medivh. He has al sorts of magic, can turn in to a bird, has portals, stops time and can turn people in lambs, one of the best designs in game. Now invthe other hand qe have Anduin which is just magic in the most generic way. I mean, we have Gul’dan and Kael’thas that are slightly better but they are not as unique as Medivh.

I like those characters but their designs are boring considering how unique the lore is unlike WC gameplay.