No more matchmaking by roles and perfect comps in QM! We need MM by MMR NOW!

Likely this was during the period when the MM was temporarily broken, as I mentioned already:

That could indeed be because Orphea broke it (too many people queuing as Orphea), at least during that topic. So it desperately just matched parties together to get games going.

Probably similar things happened during DW release, all MM rules out of the window briefly.

They do tend to loosen the rules by making mirror matches more possible when a new hero is released, making it possible they may have loosened the rules too much in the process.

Either way I don’t believe that the matchmaker puts multiple healers on teams intentionally. It’s either a bug or premades.

Yeah yeah, that’s what I meant. I thought they were together, but after the match ended I checked and they were not.

It still does. The MM still tries to match tank + healer + ranged + flex + flex. You can find the confirmation here:

The MM is still trying to force comps, but the rules are not that rigid anymore, so the MM won’t keep trying to find those comps for 15-20 minutes.

They did remove it, but that’s not even the problem. I’m speaking more about pure MMR. It is really clear when someone is not as skilled as you or is way more skilled. Or even teams. You can tell quite easily what team has more skilled players. The difference is actually big.

Even if the system is trying to average the MMR of both teams, this is still quite bad. Imagine one team having a really good tank player and good healer, and the other team just have good assassins players. This is already a really inbalanced match. One could make a case and say the match was fair if both teams had the weak players on the same roles, but still… I really fail to see what improvement it is to match people from any mmr range just for the sake of finding comps instead of matching them by mmr first, if you find a comp good, if you don’t just give them a match and let them have fun in an equal skill level match.

Yeah I know levels don’t matter. My main point here is that there is clearly a big difference in mmr when it comes to those 10 players in a QM match.

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/7mx3m0/enough_with_the_double_supports_in_qm/

At least this player said they frequently get another heal on their team when they play heal (or support), but that is from 2018.
And also

I’ve had triple healers in a lot of my games lately. Not even 3 supports, but 3 straight healers.

I was playing Auriel and was matched with Li Li, Tassadar, Malfurion and Artanis. We somehow won, but that match went on for more than 30 minutes…

It’s hard to find later complaints.

I don’t even think you read the thread just like that other guy…

I don’t think they change anything when a new hero is released, I think the MM just puts the new hero on both teams because there’s too many queueing that hero. I still get mirror matches every week. About a month ago I even had 2 mirrored heroes LOL. I don’t mind mirrored heroes though.

I think it’s probably bugged. As I said before, it might be due to the MM still trying to find those comps. But even those matches don’t bother me that much. What bothers me is seeing that we have 0 to 1 milion mmr in the same team (exagerating on purpose just to show how different the mmr among the players is).

1 Like

I would love more mmr balance in QM. Every game is a stomp or get stomped no matter what the comp is and honestly is getting really tiring that I just go to unranked more than QM. Just all the people who dont know how to play in QM is outstanding. There is no balance. I am diamond in ranked. Plat mmr in QM. But 75 percent of my games I go look at players profiles and they are silver. Even bronze players. What’s the point.

1 Like

Can we at least have similar style of comps
You know don’t ask a d’va and Qhira to frotnline against a mal’ganis and a stitches for example

1 Like

One thing QM does it match your comp with the other teams comp. So if your team doesnt have a tank. They wont have a tank either. Same with healer and so on. That’s about it really. Unless it literally cant find the players or people 4 or 5 man a weird strange comp than it wont match it.

They stopped doing that over a year ago mate.
Too many people didn’t want to wait for the matches.

Bull
You know how I know this
Qhira and D’va
Vs Mal’ganis and Stitches
Frontline stomp of the ages.

Not an exageration I was the god damn Qhira in that scenario

Like I said. It tries. Should have at least one tank if the other team has one, but QM I guess couldnt find a player. But I have also had games like that. The curse of the expanded search. Mostly for me it’s the other way, we will have two tanks or two bruisers and the other team will have a normal comp.

Clearly it could the enemy had TWO
We had a bruiser and a melee assassin

Seriously tell me in what universe it would be less balanced to have Qhira with mal’ganis and stitches and the D’va on the other side

Dont know if those two were in a party and queued together. Idk.
I mean. I agree with you, QM cheesed you. It happens. I’m just saying most of my games it tries to matches the comps. Sometimes it doesnt or cant. Like 9/10 game it matches the comps.

As I already shared it here, they still do this:

System is still running but just not that rigid.

I edited the first post so people can see it.

This was also during the time Whitemane came out and it was trying to make games without Whitemane on BOTH sides. I couldn’t imagine having a new hero would complicate the MM like this /sarcasm

Instead they threw the switch the other way

(edit for more content)

Also doesn’t help that extended MM kicks in 24-26 seconds in, even before 30 seconds. There are plenty of exceptions to the rule as well, full groups waiting around so long it just tosses them into a game, regardless of what the que times are for their opponents

1 Like

https://imgur.com/a/CZVtCS0

https://imgur.com/mhLcK2j

Like… This was a 30 sec queue. It literally found the match right when the expanded queue happened. This was a really frustating match, especially for me. We lost of course because no one knew what to do except me. Seriously, these guys don’t have nowhere near my mmr, why does the MM put them with me? “oh but it probably average the mmr if you look at the other team”. Well, average mmr is also incredibly frustrating. This needs to stop, seriously.

Edited:

https://imgur.com/WgLRcCS

https://imgur.com/qWcIyOz

Another match with really weird comps and people who were clearly nowhere near my MMR as well, extremely frustrating.

And these were just 2 of the games I played today. I had games where we just stomped the enemy team really hard and it was clear that a couple players had no idea what they were doing while our team was just good overall. More examples of the difference in MMR in the match…

Seriously Devs, we need matches by MMR so at least the games are balanced in skill :confused:

1 Like

I have not either. And I play primarily during weekdays at off peak hours for NA…

I don’t have an issue with prioritizing MMR more-so than mirroring certain roles. But I consistently play during off-peak times. where Matchmaker has the lowest amount of people, and don’t see these things.

Not a bug, i don’t recall the exact wording, but this is intended behavior.

Which pisses me off.

I don’t care how wonky the match is, or even if it has to make everyone wait another 5 seconds to start.

<30 seconds shouldn’t ever start without at least Tank+healer+Ranged AA on either team. Excluding groups of 3-5 people, given they can pick all ranged assassin/bruiser/etc.

1 Like

yeah I know it isn’t a bug and I actually think it is worse because it is an intended feature. The “extended” MM already has your questionable game ready soon as the timer hits 30 which means it actually was working before hand. Those are resources that could have been spent looking for a better match as far as I’m concerned.

I get the purpose of the Extended MM, but the fact that it kicks in so quickly is ridiculous. Add in other ways to manipulate the MM and it really makes things a chaotic mess.

1 Like