No audio in HOTS unless connected to specific bluetooth speakers

Audio issue. In the sound options, only ‘Default’ shows up as an option for Output Device. Whether I have my computer playing music through the built-in speakers or bluetooth speakers, no sound plays. The only way I can get the list of Output Devices to populate is to connect my computer to one specific pair of bluetooth headphones. Then, the list of Output Devices populates and I can select any of my speakers to be the game’s output. Once I disconnect the headphones or select a different computer-wide output device, the list of output devices in HOTS returns to default and will not play sound.

I am playing on a 2018 Mac Mini with MacOS Catalina 10.15.6.

I’ve already tried all of the sound troubleshooting suggested here: Troubleshooting Sound Issues - Blizzard Support

I would suggest the technical sub section instead. Similar issues have been mentioned before and it’s possible that a solution to your problem exists. Use the search forums function.

You can also edit your post and move it to a different forum through the drop down menu right next to the topic title field. You are much more likely to receive some help over there.

1 Like

Hey, brofroanomo! I moved you over to the Mac support forums. The behavior is a bit interesting with the bluetooth headphones working and it helps with populating the list. It sounds like something very specific is going on here and we’ll want more information.

Could you provide us with the SPX files over to techinfo@blizzard.com with the subject: ATTN:Caterpepi - No Sound in Heroes [42095]?

This inbox is not monitored and will not send responses. It’s used to collect information for Technical Support to assist in troubleshooting.

Will do - thanks for providing input.

I noticed that the Output Device list will also populate if I plug headphones into my mac in the 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Hey, brofroanomo! Sorry for the delay in response here, I was away for a few days. I’ve got the system files you sent over to us, thank you :slight_smile:

Is the headset typically a USB port? Does it have a separate converter/mixer for the 3.5mm to USB jack?

Checking over the system files, there were a few errors with the multiplexer (MUX) devices disconnecting. If this might be tied to the audio devices as well (usually is for multiplexer devices), I would guess that this could be a signal issue with the multiple different devices and the 3.5mm and the bluetooth is communicating on a different signal than the other audio devices you have currently connected which is why it works and populates the list.

This might be a bit tricky to diagnose what exactly could be causing the issue since it could be settings related that need adjustments. I’d recommend to start off with an SMC reset and a NVRAM/PRAM reset.

I couldn’t find much else in the system files, but I can take another look for any additional suggestions if neither of those resets do not resolve the issue :slight_smile: