No 32-bit client, could this be why I cant play?

I made a bug report over 3 weeks ago unable to connect to any games in A.I., QM or ranked. I can get into HOTS, get into the game load screen, but it never finishes the connection. That bug report received ZERO responses.

I got to looking at the Battle.net app and noticed that if you go to Blizzard in the upper left corner and go into Settings > Game Settings that there is NO “change to 32-bit client (Instead of 64-bit client)” option. Could this be why I’m unable to connect to any games? For Diablo & SC2 I’m given the 32-bit client option. In Diablo I use the 32-bit setting, and in SC2 I don’t. I have no problems with either of those games.

I’ve been reading other peoples Technical support blogs to find an answer. I’ve done an uninstall reinstall, I’ve cleared the Blizzard cache suggested by one tech report, but nothing helps.

I’ve come to the conclusion it has to be something Blizzard did in its last update, and not me or my computer. I Hope you can find a solution this problem. I want to play HOTS, and will revisit when there’s a new update or I read a solution in Technical reports Thank you.

No it is not related. Since Heroes of the Storm starts your system supports 64bit applications and as such the lack of a 32bit build is inconsequential. If you were using a 32bit OS then trying to run Heroes of the Storm will crash immediately on start-up, likely with some notification saying that execution of 64bit applications is not possible.

A few years ago Blizzard announced that they were dropping 32bit support. As far as I am aware Diablo III, Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, StarCraft II and Warcraft III should only be available as 64 bit builds.

Outside a small performance regression with 64bit builds due to larger pointers causing more memory bandwidth contention and reduced cache performance, everything else about them should run faster and better, especially on modern CPUs.

Some people have mentioned that clearing the various caches used by Heroes of the Storm can help with connecting to server problems. Some people mentioned that after restarting their computer (not shutdown, it must be restart so the drivers reload) and also power cycling their local network hardware caused similar issues to go away.

You can also try the network connectivity tests to verify that your computer can speak with the HotS servers. These could be different from the servers used by the BattleNet application and other Blizzard games.

1 Like