Need an explanation

Hello,
I am a new player trying to get into HOTS. I used to play a ton of Overwatch but the game has gotten stale for me. I need explanations of 2 things. In my games tonight, I had 2 games where we were getting mopped and players gave up and went afk at spawn. Is this a common thing in this game? My second thing is why is Stitches such an annoyance. His hook doesn’t seem to touch me and yet it registers as a hook. And then that ability that he keeps you in his stomach seems kind of broken. I could sound like a noob but is stitches really that powerful as a tank?

1 i dont find afk to be very common but it does happen. The more you play the better your matches and the less it happens.

1. Dont go by visuals but by the tiny circle under your hero. The hook doesn’t need to hit your body just that tiny circle. It is not overpowered. Stitches is quite strong though. Overtime you will learn that you need to be with your team so that they can help you. Normally in my games my team will leap into stitches team when he hooks something.
8 Likes

Unfortunately some people do just give up like that but it becomes less and less common as you climb in skill.

As for stitches, “hook” like skills are always scarry for newer players but as you become more and more aware of exactly how hooks are used you’ll get better at anticipating and avoiding them.
For now tho, avoid taking tight corners and dont stand near walls. Those are generally when the hooks come out. Also dont walk in straight lines as much.

5 Likes

AFK players are there, and many times you just have to deal with it. What I recommend is when you are in a match with someone who seems good and friendly, ask them if they would like to group for more games. If that goes well, add them as a bnet friend. Eventually you will have enough people available to play and avoid the trolls and AFKers.

Regarding Stitches, he is quite strong now, and good Stitches will hide out of sight so you do not see the hook coming. Some things that can help is to play a hero with some sort of escape, so if you are hooked/eaten, you may be able to get away. I was playing Kharazim last night, and I could Dash away, or use my heroic ability to turn the tables on Stitches. In addition, try not to stand still and move unpredictably. His hook is a narrow skill shot, so a lot of times you can make him miss by just keeping moving.

Welcome to HotS, good luck and have fun!

4 Likes

See that’s a bad mechanic, the hook should have to actually touch you for it to count. Roadhog was the same way in Overwatch where the hook would get you even if it wasn’t even close. So far I’ve been disappointed, I ran into the 3rd quitter of the day and to now discover a hook character makes me very questionable about my future with this game.

I think another approach they can take to making extremely popular/useful talents baseline is to apply the effect to all talents at the particular level or at the level itself. Is this how it’s done already in some instances?

That’s how everything in HotS works, regardless of the graphics and models, it is a 2D game in concept. This means that your body doesn’t actually exist on the map, just the circle around your feet, known as a “hitbox”. As long as a skill shot or AoE connects with that hitbox, it counts. This works for friendly abilities as well, so if you play a hero like Ana, you have to get used to shooting people in the feet, not in the head.

It is something you do get used to with practice, and since it is consistent, it really isn’t a bad design, just different.

5 Likes

Well thanks for telling me that, I will uninstall and find a new game. I do not have time for games that make no sense to me. I dealt with this constantly in Overwatch, and I’m not dealing with hook character in HOTS. So thanks for giving me the warning to quit, and hopefully someone new comes to play HOTS.

It’s one character out of 90…

Yeah with a mechanic I do not like and think it’s pretty dumb. And having to deal with a stitches every match I’ve played makes me concern this will be Overwatch 2.0 for me. I left Overwatch for a reason and I’m not going to deal with the same stuff in a new game.

Lol, you left Overwatch because of Roadhog? Did you just wake up from a coma?

1 Like

Eh, if you don’t enjoy it, you don’t enjoy it. Hopefully you find something you like better.

1 Like

No, I decided to play Overwatch on a competitive team and regretted every second of it. On top of the frustration with dealing with a team that didn’t care one bit about winning, overplayed heroes like Hog and McCree made the game very unfun. And before you ask no, I will not play LoL because Riot is the reason why my team stopped caring about Overwatch (Valorant).

Well if you look at it this way, everyone has a hitbox, this applies for every MOBA, and every MMO, meaning that skillshots will hit the box, this is to balance the game out better.
So that you got 3 Hit box types to deal with instead of a 100 different hitboxes.
Now it’s like Small - Medium - Large.

To me it seems more like you are trying to step into new ground both in HOTS and Overwatch which did punish you in the end, because your lack of skill tok you by surprise.
If you wanna enjoy a game, you have to play it for a while and learn the basic mechanics.

For the hook thing, spells/skills in this game are designed to look broken at first, this is one of the things that makes HOTS fun.
You got a goblin that can litteraly capture a whole team inside a massive dome stunning everyone, and on top of that resetting the CD on that skill at the same time.
You got a massive firegod (Ragnaros) that can send a lava wave across a lane killing every minion there, AND on top of that it is global, also if players get in contact with it, it deals a heavy amount of dmg.

Looking at it everything in HOTS Seems broken til you learn the basic mechanics.

I mean the more I think about it, I just need to stop playing video games all together. I just don’t care enough to improve nor do I like the modern style of games. I get this game isn’t really new but it has elements seen in modern game. I wanted a game to play as a backup to WoW but since this is a heavy mechanic based game I don’t want to play it due to the time commit with WoW and the lack of people I know personally playing any blizzard games. I know I sound like a crybaby or a whiner but I’m just tired of these “legendary” games like Fortnite and Valorant stealing everyone away from anything I play, and then having games like this and Overwatch having the constant buffing and nerfing of characters with the added mechanics. And even on top of that which is more why I’m disappointed with HOTS is that this game is giving OW a run for it’s money on community. If people are such wussies they can’t handle getting mashed then why bother trying learn a game when 6/8 times you get someone who will quit after one team fight loss.

1 Like

Overall i guess this is abit of a thing between MOBAs, it is mechanicly heavy and unfortunatly causes alot of people at lower ranks to AFK and be realtivly toxic.

Sounds abit like you want something casual now instead of competitive games.
Hope you find what your looking for mate.
Also i wouldn’t think HOTS makes OW a run for it’s money as HOTS lacks quite a player base nowadays.
There is an ok amount of people playing but tons left around 2018 or so, because of an announcement that the developers of HOTS would be transfered to another game, so we got less developers now meaning less heroes everyyear.
Stil we who love the game stick by.

1 Like

Damn bro, it’s a simple concept. At least HotS have a hit box, many games don’t even show you the character’s actual hit box (cough Aurelion Sol)

Yikes, if Stitches’s hook is all it takes…

Leaving the game because you don’t enjoy it is one thing, but leaving because of one mechanic from one hero in a game you’re still new at? That’s a bit sad.

If it’s not stitches hook, it’d just be something else that made you quit so easily.

5 Likes

Well it’s a combination of dealing with a mechanic I grew to hate thanks to a game I regret even playing (Overwatch), having no one to play with due to the “hot” games, quitters in a majority of the games I lost, and the realization that I will never become a pro gamer in any game. I tried with Overwatch didn’t work for many reasons such as my team disbanding and me not really want to improve without a team. The only game I now play is WoW and it’s more because I dont completely suck at it, and is the only thing left my childhood that is still active. If I were to ever lose my skill at WoW, which could anytime, I probably am done gaming since it seems like nothing is unique and majority of people that game aren’t the nicest people. And yes I admit I’m not a nice person.

That’s plenty of reasons, I suppose. Most of your points have nothing to do with hots itself, though.

That’s how it is for most people :smiley: You didn’t expect to jump into a game genre that’s new to you and become a pro soon, did you?

Honestly, majority of people aren’t the nicest people. That just comes out more easily on the internet because people are more true to themselves because of anonymity.
In a different sense, a person that you’ve met online in a game like Hots who seems like a nice guy is much more likely to actually be a nice guy compared to a person you meet IRL who seems like a nice guy.

To me it seems the problem is more about how you desire to be “someone capable” at what you’re doing and you’re looking for a game where you can be that, instead of looking for a game that is fun, without worrying about how good you are.

Like 80-90% or something of the population sits in Bronze 5, the lowest rank of all, and within bronze 5, there are those called Wood League, because they are just so much worse than regular bronze 5’sies.

Seriously, those bronze 5 and wood league people play as if they only have one arm and they’re blind on one eye and there’s a huge chicken sitting on his remaining hand. They are absolutely bad, clueless.

But they still play and enjoy the game nonetheless, right?

In the end it’s your choice. If you don’t like the game, then that’s fine.

Games like these are the kind where a single mistake can make you get blown up in an instant in a bad situation, like getting hooked by Stitches into a 5man team all ready you. And some people can’t handle that, and that’s fine. And many other frustrating things can happen, just gotta deal with it.

I mean, this is kinda ironic if part of the reason you’re leaving is because you can’t stand getting mashed by Stitches.

But for the record, it’s not like that for me. For me it’s more around 1 afker every 10-15 matches. Depends on when I play though, playing ARAM latenight/early morning on weekends is the worst when it comes to stuff like that.