Matchmaking in Quick Match is broken

How one team can get 2 tanks, while there is a lack of tanks in the game?
At the same team an enemy team is getting more ranged assassins.
There is no way to win and after several attempts the team is just stand in the base or close the game.
I never saw more than 1 healer in random teams unless healers are in the same party.
Why this cannot be done the same for tanks?

3 Likes

this game matchfailing algorithms are very simple, they canā€™t be helped it seems

1 Like

I completely understand your frustration. The imbalance in team compositions can indeed make the game challenging and, at times, disheartening. To address this, perhaps a reevaluation and enhancement of the matchmaking system are in order, ensuring a balanced distribution of roles within each team to maintain fair play and competitive integrity. I believe a well-rounded team composition, featuring both tanks and healers, contributes significantly to a more enjoyable and equitable gaming experience. I share your hope that future updates might bring refinements to address these disparities and improve overall gameplay balance.

Stay positive and keep battling in the Nexus!

Best,
Sire Denathrius

5 Likes

The game design does not adhere to the idea that the roles between teams has to be equal. Part of the point of, and incentive for, the game is to try unique combinations.

Not all heroes in a given role are equal, so even if matches were made with equal roles, inexperienced players would complain that itā€™s ā€œnot fairā€ if one team has a hero with better waveclear while the offsetting role is better at team fighting or taking merc camps or contesting the objective.

Similarly, players tend to ā€˜make upā€™ rules for QM without actually knowing what the game is doing. While it is more common to have ā€˜two tanksā€™ what is often the case is that the player is calling a ā€œtankā€ a hero that qm does not consider to be a ā€œtankā€.

If every game had a least one tank, then all of the qm playerbase would need 20% of the players to tank. The figure is closer to half that number (11%) so the game ā€˜fillsā€™ with other heroes and splits healers for bruiser or melee assassin compositions to try to ā€˜balanceā€™ out the lack of tanks players are picking.

Match mirroring only considers a role once. If both sides can get a tank, then there will be at least two tanks in that game and it doesnā€™t consider bruisers, melee assassins, or supports toward a ā€˜tankā€™ role even though some heroes can function on the frontline.

if a match doesnā€™t have tanks, then it will fill with bruisers, but it only ensures each side will have 1, and then fills from that.

Itā€™s a similar case for healers/supports: if both sides can have a healer, then they will, otherwise itā€™ll try to fill with a support hero.

Despite trying to split ā€˜neededā€™ roles for tanking and healing for QM games, functionally, a ā€œtankā€ is optional, so the bigger crux is in trying to split healers across too much demand, with too little supply. (again, at least 20% of healers needed for each qm game, but itā€™s about 15%) A number of heroes can act as a ā€˜tankā€™ without being one, while very few characters can act as a ā€˜main healerā€™.

Tank talents, or bruiser/assassin talents tend allow them to have better variety than healers, so itā€™s more beneficial to stack tank/tank-like characters and still have waveclear, self-sustain, and teamfight power where having more than 1 healer can limit pve and pvp potential.

As an example, ETC can play as a frontline hero, a duelist, or a semi-global bruiser. Morelas, on the other hand, is pretty much only ā€œmedicā€ regardless of what talents she takes. Even Arthas ā€“ considered more a bruiser than a ā€˜tankā€™ ā€“ still has some variety in getting more sustain/mitigation, cc control, or damage talents to shift how he plays on a team.

ā€œNo way to winā€ā€¦ Ppl and their lack of game knowledgeā€¦

In the match that made me to write this we got one more tank, while the opposite team got ranged assassin. So this setup is unfair from the very beginning, Iā€™m not even talking about that we were playing against party of 5.
So all these theories about roles, talents and so on are not suitable for the case.
We were just unable to make any damage to enemy heroes.
Such matches are just killing any desire to continue playing the game.

no, itā€™s applicable. You just donā€™t know how to play to the strengths of the composition.

Many tanks have a build that can kill an assassin 1 v 1 so either the tank runs a flank attack, or both tanks stun lock one target and trade up on ehp. But if people play 1v1v1v2 then it feels ā€œunfairā€ to have less damage than hp.

Tank + bruiser tend to be more successful than the ā€œextraā€ assassin

1 Like

State both side comps and map, then you may find out thereā€™re several ways to beat the match ftom people around here.

You can even upload the replay to Heroes Profile for more detail to be analyzed and receive more point of views and what could have been done to get much more chance in the match and even similar situation in later matches.

1 Like

Wow, what a helpful comment.

But you, of course are correct. All tanks, assassins, etc. are created equal and are S Tier. Sarcasm off.

Man, these Hots white knights are exhausting.

2 Likes

that only works if the opposite of the statement is true. Since all heroes arenā€™t created equal, it takes knowledge/experience to get a feel for strengths and weaknesses.

However, since people do think anything longer than one sentence is ā€˜exhaustingā€™ they rarely consider that thereā€™s more they can do, that their ā€˜bestā€™ would be better, or that the same things apply to other games even if they arenā€™t HotS.

So long as people have something else to fault, they donā€™t improve themselves. That is their ā€˜bestā€™ so the matching is to blame, or the white knights, or the spaghetti monster. Yea, saying ā€œyou lack knowledgeā€ doesnā€™t directly help, but functionally, ā€œweā€ canā€™t ā€œhelpā€ someone if theyā€™re not willing to receive help either.

Thatā€™s why the topic is ā€œthe game is brokenā€ and not ā€œwhat could we do betterā€.

2 Likes

Not knighting anything here, just speaking from experience. If anyone complains about QM teamcomps, they either lack skill or they just wanted to vent.

Also you provided even less value as you just went after me personally.

The tank role isnā€™t very popular compared to other roles, which is why tanks more often have the ā€œCall of the Nexusā€, exp bonus enabled. From my experience, I no longer select the Tank role for QM when the XP bonus is active, because in the past when I did, I often found myself matched to a team that already had a tank.

That is all anecdotal of course, but I think the XP bonus, fewer tank players, fewer number of tanks in compared to other roles (support excluded), might all contribute to one team on occasion, ending up with 2 tanks.

Iā€™m not dismissing your complaint, in an ideal word, one team would only receive one tank, but as Hots is no longer in active development, lower active player populations will make all MM issues worse.

Always the same few knights it seems

Ohh, am I included? I mean, I did say to the OP that double tank shouldnā€™t happen and isnā€™t always fun. Yet I did also say being on a team with double tank isnā€™t an instant loss, so that might promote me to White Knight? IDK

Furthermore, Iā€™ve been here since launch, so both teams being guaranteed a match for tank and healer is still novel, I got very used to playing with weird and wonderful comps in QM prior to the MM changes of 2018.

I agree, though, that mismatched comps arenā€™t always fun!

1 Like

OP just dont want like to be told the truth. He can easy tell his own team comp and opponentā€™s team comp so people can tell him if he is right or wrong.

But from past experince they mostly dont so Iā€™m gonna leak his last lost game.

Enemy team: Jaina,Whitemane,Tyreal,Artanis, Azmodan.

OPā€™s team: Morales, Arthas,Nova,Valla, Sylvanas.

OP is in a 3 man party and enemy team is a 5 stack. Now feel free to judge.

Well said, as its analogous to white knights in real life. The more you do it, the worse your return. Truly funny

1 Like

In my case we had Alarak, Tyrael, Jaina, Auriel, Stiches 2+3 parties vs Maiev, Muradin, Zagara, Kaelā€™thas, Ana 5 ppl party.
So the second team has a double advantage over the first.
A bit unclear why 5 ppl party are not forced to move from Quick Match and continues farming random teams. The same question about the setup, since the second team just blow the first one.

Thats a better QM matchup than it coulda been. Could be winnable for the first team but yeah, usually not against a 5 man group playing together. Try to lane a bunch so it splits their team for most of the game

vs

Tyrael has a nasty Bruiser build, and Stitches can also deal nice dmg since the rework. Tyrael can also focus Ana, negating the enemy heals.

Your team did not lose due to the comps.

I played this game long enough in a wide range of mmr to know this truth.

3 Likes

If these players had been here when we had OG QM, which didnā€™t even match tank for tank, healer for healer, no doubt their minds would explode. I believe if I hadnā€™t played in QM when it was total chaos, I would never have climbed much at all, it did teach me the value and flexibility of the talent system in this game.

3 Likes