[Main thread] Preparing game data / 137mb Download on HOTS

File folder… Whichever hard drive has hots installed on it… Program filesx86 - Heroes of the storm… Support(x86) - Hots_switcher(x86) double click to run… BE WARNED there is a first time download for some people just let it go then sign in… PS… if you don’t see a sign in (Username and password) Don’t worry this is a glitch The password and username bar are still there they are just invisible… Navigate your cursor over the middle of the screen and you will see the cursor change as if you where typing… From here go up and down untill you find the bottom bar (password) type in your password KEEP IN MIND YOU CANT SEE THE BAR OR THE PASSWORD… Press enter and there u go

I got the fix please spread

that s not a fix. it s a work around.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to confirm that this issue has been escalated up to the Heroes of the Storm team so they are aware of it. Hopefully we will have some good news on a fix soon.

Any updates will be provided in this thread.

3 Likes

Wow, it just took a billion dollar company over 2 months to realise a bug that 100% of gamers have 100% of logins? Did anyone write that down? Is that a record in how not to care about their own customers?

Not to fix the bug, just to realise there is one LOL

1 Like

Hey folks!

I myself do not have these 137mb updates.
from reddit and the german technical support forum i got the feedback that the following steps help to solve the problem:

Go to your Documents folder:
C:\Users[YOUR USERNAME]\Documents.

Now right-click on the Heroes of the Storm folder and click on “Properties”.

In the newly opened window you have to click on the tab “Security”.
Now you have to click on “Advanced” at the bottom of the window.

A new window will open.

In this window you have to change the owner first.

To do this, click on “Change” at the top next to “Owner”.
In the text field enter your username and click on “Verify name”.Now click on “OK”.

You should now be able to set full access rights for the administrator group and your user account under “Edit”.

Once this is done, close all windows and the update / installation should work normally again.

3 Likes

They don’t care about you. You’re only a gamer. LOL

1 Like

While probably true its still incredibly dumb for a gaming company to not care about gamers. Who thought about making a product and not caring about the people buying it. no wonder they will probably go broke.

1 Like

Bro! This way works !! :star_struck: :clap:
I set my account (username) as the owner, as written in the instructions, applied.
Reopened the properties (the explorer prompted to do so)
Then I added my account to the list below the owner (for some reason it was not there), and made full rights, applied.
I closed and started the launcher again, loaded the game … and it started without this preparation!
I decided to check if it works “cleanly” … rebooted the computer, and checked again … it started without checking !!!
Thanks a lot!!! This is really cool !! :love_you_gesture: :metal: :muscle:

In short, this instruction is working!
P.S. sorry for bad english))
Thank you !!!

This did not work for me, the launcher still has me update everytime and I get the 137mb popup update when I launch the game.

3 Likes

no… post must be at la

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let you guys know this is still being investigated by development to see what is causing the install at launch every time. A workaround has helped a few players if you want to give it a try. However, we do want to thank you for your continued patience in handling this.

Windows

Navigate to your Documents Folder
Right click on Heroes of the Storm and go to the Security tab
Click Edit
Ensure that “Full Control” is checked for your user account and the Administrators group
Click OK to save any permission changes

Mac

Open finder, or go to folder option in menu (or Shift+command+G)
type: ~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/
Look for the “Heroes of the Storm” folder
Choose File > Get Info >
) Expand the Sharing and Permissions section by clicking the arrow
If the lock at the bottom right is locked, click it to unlock the Get Info options, then enter an administrator name and password.
Click on each user or group in the Name column, then choose the Read & Write setting from the pop-up menu.
Use small circle with dots to apply that permissions to all enclosed items: https://support.apple.com/en-euro/guide/mac-help/mchlp1203/mac
1 Like

Sadly, this workaround hasn’t worked for me, so all I can do is just bypass the bnet launcher completely when I want to play Blizzard games. I may miss out on announcements, but at least I can play!

1 Like

Workaround doesn’t help. Issue brought up in November, only elevated a couple of weeks ago, but still happening.

1 Like

Hey guys,

it seems to be a permissions problem for the Heroes of the Storm documents folder.

I just had the same problem and reset the rights again.

To do this, right-click on the folder “Heroes of the Storm” and click on “Properties”.

In the new opened window click on the tab “Security” and in the new opened window click on “Advanced”.

Now you have to remove all allowed groups and user accounts under “Permission entries”.
Once this is done, click on “Enable inheritance” and then on “Apply”.

The following groups and users should now be under “Permission entries”:

Principal Access Inherited from
System Full access C:\User\YOUR USERNAME\
Administrators Group Full Access C:\User\YOUR USERNAME\
YOUR USERNAME Full access C:\User\YOUR USERNAME\

Now the problem does not occur for the moment.

But if you restart your PC and take a look at the permissions of the Heroes of the Storm documents folder again, you will see the following:

Principal Access Inherited from
Administrators Group Full access none
YOUR USERNAME Full access none
INTERACTIVE Full access none

The user “System” has been kicked out and inheritance has been disabled again for all users and groups.

This happens exclusively only for the documents folder of Heroes of the Storm!

I can also confirm this issue is still happening…

This issue is still not fixed. I uninstalled and deleted the HOTS folder and the launcher is still downloading 137 MB of data every time I launch.

I’m having the same problem and this is not a fix. Why even have a launcher if we are gonna launch the game this way. This is a stupid answer to the problem. The problem is Blizzard’s launcher and they need to fix it.

I reinstalled heroes of the storm and its only worth of 14 gb size(updated and fully playable) unlike the previous one its around 20-25 gb i THINK that 137 mb of download is not “GHOST UPDATE” it may or may not be a virus or bug, but still. over storage and internet data consumption on developer’s error should not make the consumer/player suffer. what if a player’s internet has a limited download threshold? the company should hold ACCOUNTABLE for this endless download

1 Like

I thank you each time I log in. The workaround provided here hasn’t worked for me either, yours has.

1 Like