Losing connection during game play - But internet is fine!

For the last 7-10 days, about twice an hour, while in game, I drop connection and get the ‘Reconnecting’ message for about 2-3 minutes. Then reload. BUT, the rest of my internet is still working fine while this is happening. I can minimize and run max capcity on speedtest/packetloss while this is happening. I don’t think it is due to anything I have control over…

Summary of the 30-ish things I’ve tried:

• Full format of CPU, reinstalled windows, used ethernet cable.
  • Installed game on an extra CPU, used WiFi. Same issue.
  • Verified ISP hardware functionality/packet loss with ISP (Got super lucky, disconnect occured real-time during my call with 3rd level rep while they were looking at hardware. They said no issues).
  • Unplugged all routers/modem, ran ethernet cable directly from the wall into computer. Same error.

I have no idea what to try next. I’ve eliminated my hardware & ISP hardware as possibilities. ISP is Lumos. 1 gig fiber, internet is fantastic in general. Southwestern Virginia, USA. Any other reported issues with Lumos maybe?

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out with these details. We’ll want to have you run a ‘WinMTR’ network test while the problem occurs in-game to see potential network-related issues between your computer and the game server. Here are the instructions:

1. Download the tool from this page
  2. Enter the game IP into the “host” field. The IP address for our games are listed on the WinMTR instructions page
  3. Start the test and play the game for at least 15 minutes. Make sure that a disconnect occurs while the WinMTR test is running.
  4. After recording data for about 5 minutes, click Stop then click “export text” and save the WinMTR file in an easy to find location.
  5. Once you have that made, open the file. You’ll need to copy and paste the contents of the Text document into the post, and put four Tilde (~) marks above the WinMTR. It’ll look like this:
WinMTR goes here

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

In the context helps – this was a particurly short drop. Maybe 15 seconds? Didn’t even drop me from draft. Most are more like ~2 minutes.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                           Comtrend.Home -    0 |  871 |  871 |    0 |    0 |   14 |    0 |

|                cffr-7750-bng1.lumos.net -    0 |  871 |  871 |    0 |    1 |   14 |    2 |

|                wybo-7750-bng1.lumos.net -    0 |  871 |  871 |    2 |    3 |   14 |    3 |

|    64-203-188-144.unassigned.ntelos.net -    0 |  871 |  871 |    4 |    6 |   15 |    5 |

|                           10.242.112.31 -    0 |  871 |  871 |    8 |    9 |   15 |    9 |

|                   eqix-dc2.blizzard.com -    0 |  871 |  871 |    9 |   13 |  118 |   10 |

|              ae1-br01-eqdc2.as57976.net -    0 |  871 |  871 |   27 |   81 |  386 |   54 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  176 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|         et-0-0-0-pe03-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 |  871 |  871 |   26 |   28 |   63 |   28 |

|                           24.105.62.129 -    3 |  800 |  782 |   30 |   30 |   45 |   30 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

DudeAbides - Thank you for running that test and sharing the context! In your original post you mentioned having reinstalled Windows–this effectively rules out a potential software conflict. If an issue persists through a full Windows reinstall, you can be almost certain the culprit is isolated to the hardware or connection in some way; unless there is a specific program (like an antivirus) that you are re-installing before testing Heroes of the Storm after the Windows reinstall.

Can you temporarily test an alternate network such as a mobile hotspot or VPN? This will help us quickly determine whether the issues are network-related.

If the disconnects do not occur while testing with a different network, then you will need to reach back out to your Internet service provider for further assistance troubleshooting this. They might need to adjust network-level security/firewall settings or temporarily replace the network devices in your home to isolate it.

Hi Skelgarer, thanks for the quick response.

I think we may be on the wrong track here – I already removed the hardware variable during these tests. I tried on: 1) desktop CPU with ethernet, 2) backup laptop through wifi, and 3) desktop with ethernet cord directly to the wall, bypassing the router. Same issue in all three circumstances. So it’s not my computer, and it’s not the router setup, and it’s not a bad cable, Right?

When the issue happens, all other websites still function full speed, so it’s not the ISP connection itself dropping, solely the communication with the US central server.

Were the winMTR results inconclusive? The drop I captured was a little unusual… may not have been the actual issue I am describing… Perhaps I should try again and send you results when I hit another drop?

EDIT: Here is a full game. 3 drops. Two were 5-10 seconds each. Third was a little over 60 seconds.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                           Comtrend.Home -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |    0 |    0 |   12 |    0 |

|                cffr-7750-bng1.lumos.net -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |    0 |    1 |   25 |    2 |

|                wybo-7750-bng1.lumos.net -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |    2 |    4 |   15 |    3 |

|    64-203-188-144.unassigned.ntelos.net -    1 | 1145 | 1144 |    5 |    6 |   20 |    6 |

|                           10.242.112.31 -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |    8 |    9 |   15 |    9 |

|                   eqix-dc2.blizzard.com -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |    9 |   14 |  136 |   10 |

|              ae1-br01-eqdc2.as57976.net -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |   27 |   80 |  582 |  167 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |  232 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

|         et-0-0-0-pe03-eqch2.as57976.net -    0 | 1149 | 1149 |   26 |   29 |   64 |   29 |

|                           24.105.62.129 -    2 | 1070 | 1050 |   30 |   31 |   45 |   31 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

I would like to know the resolution of this problem. I have the same problem and I am from the same area.

Hey DudeAbides and Blinded04,

If you’re both from the same area and are using the same ISP (Lumos) this would point to an issue between the Lumos network and the Blizzard game servers.

The WinMTR results do not show anything conclusive so we can not determine where the problem is happening based on those results.

This will likely need to be a conversation and resolution between Lumos network engineers and Blizzard’s network team. I’d recommend contacting Lumos to update them and ask that they reach out to Blizzard’s network team (they will be able to find the specific email contact for our network team).

In the meantime if you use a VPN or a different ISP, that will change the route and would likely avoid the problem.

I certainly appreciate the detailed reply. But the realsticness of this suggestion is low, at best. What’s a realistic outlook how many hours, calls, and infuriated reps I would have to undertake to convince that conversation to take place?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.