Lootbox system in this game is a gacha mechanic

Any game would be pay 2 win then. Buy Pokémon with perfect ivs you don’t have yet. Buy runescape items or accounts (against the rules). Members make more money than free to players. Buy all the heroes in hots.

It’s how games make money. If you don’t like it then you don’t have to support those types of games. I don’t mind micro transactions as long as the game can be won as free to play. I have not spent money on hearthstone or heroes yet

I personally quit HS a long time ago, just cause of its obsession of milking players of money. Was it blackrock mountain expo? I heard recently even whales are frustrated in HS of how p2w it is. But that seem to be a thing in any EA games, or Activision games

That’s just a function of how trading card games work and I fail to see how that’s relevant to the discussion on the lootbox situation in HotS.

Were in this game do you find any of that. Ah yea there are none. People have already told you how it works but you are just here to call people that does not agree with you out so your thread has no purpose other then trolling.

We wont miss you.

You dont even need to spend a single dime to get what you want in this game lol.
Everything can be bought by ingame gold you get from hero lvl up and daily quests. Also gold can be converted to shards you can use to buy other stuff.

LOL is more of a money bank game then this game is.

Why you so affraid to spend gold you get for free lol. But i see you only care about getting free heroes from lootboxes and stimpacks so you dont have to spend that gold you get and end up having tons of gold you dont want to spend.

Also believing this game is a scam just tells me that you are not here to have a mature disccusion but just here to down talk everyone that does not agree with you.

4 Likes

I believe in that case the player meant Hearthstone (HS). Which is as close to pay to win as it gets.
(Depending on the patch, there have been low cost aggro decks, murloc decks etc. that allow access to Legend rank, but not always)

HotS, on the other hand, grants you all content for free. People can get to grand master ranks without spending a cent on anything.

I don’t know if HotS manipulates chest content for new players. Possible, but it could just as well have been luck. I’ve gotten two legendary heroes from two consecutive chests, then no single hero for 100+ chests.

1 Like

You can’t deny it does take tons of time to get ALL the heroes in the game. Same with all the cards in hearthstone. Unlike achievements these aspects of their games give you advantages against others

But it is more grindy. If you dont have the full hero roster, you are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to counters. Hots is a drafting game. Streamers ranked GM also have said it themselves. But I am awaiting the “know it all” silvers to start bashing me for saying it.

Also like the nazeebo dude said it - hots is way more grindier than LoL when it comes to obtaining heroes

I acknowledge you get advantages but as a free to player I don’t mind the grind. The game needs money to survive. I can one trick to victory

It does take a hell of a lot of grinding to get a decent roster in HotS, that is for sure.

Though unlike some other games, at least HotS gives the player the opportunity to do it for free.

If this game was doing well financially (which it doesn’t seem to), they could make all heroes free like in Dota 2. With cosmetics and mounts costing money.

That could attract a ton of new players (with little to no side effects, maybe it makes smurfing easier but that’s a side cost)

I don’t think HotS can afford a full free hero roster though, they need all the income they can get.

1 Like

Any game containing microtransactions is doing fine. Trust me, they hide the data for a reason. Innocent until proven guilty. You have no idea what money the whales spend on mobile type games

The whole misunderstanding between you two is pay to play vs pay to win. There are some games like runescape where (pre-bonds) members literally have high level items to beat free to players if member items were allowed in a duel in free to play worlds. Then you have pay to win where you can give money to get a faster advantage but in the end everyone would unlock everything free or paid

Trust me, they hide the data for a reason. Guilty until proven. You have no idea what money the whales spend on mobile type games

They only hide the quarterly earnings for HotS. They don’t mention it with a single word in any of their reports since 2016.

They mention all other earnings and progress from their other games, including those with microtransactions (HS)

https://investor.activision.com/static-files/3ea261b4-e6cc-42de-bff1-28a4092dfa39

It is possible HotS is making an extremely negligible amount of money.
If it was a cash cow, why wouldn’t they mention it to potential investors?

Instead, they’ve wiped it’s entire existence from their corporate notices and quarterly earning reports.

1 Like

They also stopped telling how many subs Wow has since Legion were subs were down to about 2-3 mio.

1 Like

Maybe a tiny bit. I got 2-3 heroes in the US, fairly early. Which is disproportionally too much. Bit sad I got Rexxar, he was significantly OP at the time but Misha would do random things due to latency so I had really poor results. Not that EU is much better (7:8 lifetime).

Although it’s hard to compare because when you are new, you pretty much get a chest every match, sometimes two (stimpack). Well, legit new players probably play AI. The level 5 gold adds up quickly, too. So I’m comparing 75 chests which I normally get in a year now (at 5-8 games per chest). Plus I have all heroes so I kinda don’t care. If anything, that can be a legit point. Still, a no-duplicate system would do wonders, too, instead of magic.

On this account I got flooded with a bunch of fancy stuff with the first 5 lootboxes. The game was like “OMG a new player! Here are a bunch of fancy stuff and 2 stimpacks! Just please play our game BibleThump”

On the previous account I couldnt get anything fancy for almost 150 rolls. The only hero drops I had were 2-3 heroes, and they were all 2k quality. And stimpacks were gone for good!

Lucky you. My newest account is 5 days old, the only heroes I own on it are Jaina and Thrall from the tutorial (I didn’t want Thrall, I dislike that you don’t get a second choice as I would have picked Raynor or Muradin) and Malfurion from a box. One cheap hero out of 50 boxes (so far). One.

I refuse to spend any money on that account.

I am however 100 gold away from purchasing Varian on it. I also only got the first two guaranteed stimpacks, which is fine, but I look at how long it takes just to level a hero to 5 and groan.

This is because it is better to level in vs AI it seems, because as soon as I hit around level 40, it stopped giving me fair and fun quickmatch games and has just thrown loss after loss at me, making me go from 58 percent winrate to 47 percent winrate. If I want to place decently when I start ranked, I can’t QM anymore, or I risk my winrate dropping me lower and seeding me to bronze.

So now I’m stuck earning 25 gold every 20 minutes in vs AI matches that give crap all for exp because half the people aren’t running a boost, finish the game as quick as possible, and you don’t even get an exp bonus for playing against the very cheesy, very cheating elite AI.

LoL != HotS.

If you want LoL rules, play LoL?

I’m not sure what else to tell you. HotS currency isn’t hard to obtain just by playing the game for free. Do the quests for gold. You’ll end up with tons of shards from lootboxes naturally, especially now that they’ve converted to events all the time. Level your characters and you’ll even get the gems currency you otherwise have to buy with real money. HotS is more than generous to free-to-play players. If you want more, open up your wallet and pay the artists and programmers who made the game.

2 Likes

Go play ARAM. They changed brawls since you left, where now they no longer just give you one lootbox per week, but treat it like a normal mode in that any daily quest can be done there, you can level all sorts of weird heroes without having to purchase them or wait for their free week, getting more heroes to level 5 sooner. The XP seems to be about the same as in QM, the matches are more challenging, and there is no MMR, so it has zero effect on anything else in the game. The only drawback is that matches tend to be all over the place due to the lack of MMR, so you could have a 7 minute stomp, or a 45 minute endless back and forth.

It’s worth a try for something different when leveling, though.

4 Likes

New players always get a boost. That’s normal.

But if they give new players more chances of opening heroes in boxes for a while, why is that bad? That makes those boxes more valuable, so if anything, that’s when it would be worth buying more.

Sounds worth trying, thanks for suggestion!

1 Like