Lootbox system in this game is a gacha mechanic

To those of you addicted to lootboxes - DO NOT BUY THEM! Below is why.

This account is a fresh new one. As soon as went out of the tutorial mode, I got gifted TWICE stimpacks thru lootboxes! I was gifted those stimpacks, and free 2k gold heroes, for the first 5-10 lootboxes. And then it all went to normal - 95+% chance to get banners, emojis, and sprays. I never ever again got a single hero/stimpack dropping ever again.

On the old account, I forgot to open my lootboxes. They accumulated up to a 70. Did NOT drop a single stimpack, or hero.

The lootboxes are a CONTROLLED DROPS! Do NOT spend your precious gold on them! Not even for a re-roll! The lootbox system is a forged SCAM!

2 Likes

Imagine talking about SCAM in Heroes of the Storm, the only MOBA game where you can have EVERYTHING just by playing the game (and it’s a bad decision Blizz made)

9 Likes

IKR, they even give you their in game currency “gems” I think every 25 player levels? Anyway, it’s much too generous and I can’t see they make much money outside of Boosts and I hardly see people running them like they did stims.

This is normal, you didn’t get lucky, it just gives new players those stims.

7 Likes

They changed the drop rates a lot. There was a time when stim packs indeed dropped regularly. Now you only get them with new accounts and then you never see them again.

Also all the filler crap you get out of loot boxes is so bad, that I would rather get nothing out of a box if there is no good reward. Like in a lottery. Either you win or lose. All those voice lines, stickers and emojis… completely useless. I don’t even check them anymore. And just imagine, that 1-2 employees at Blizzard work on producing this stuff that people just click away without even looking. It’s just a waste of time and work

HOTS players are one of the most hard headed people I ever spoken to. They always know everything about anything!

I am glad someone who actually understands what is going on, is around in this forums. They used to drop heroes more commonly too. They made hero drops almost inexistant! 2000 gold drops heroes are legit ultra rare drop, and I might as well debate THE ONLY POSSIBLE DROP from a lootbox! I dont think I ever seen a hero drop of over 2000 gold quality.

Stims do drop from lootboxes for veteran accounts, they are just more rare. I had one drop a month or two ago for a 1 week stim.

But yeah, why buy lootboxes when you just buy what you want directly? In game currency just sort of happens as you play the game, so there is no need to spend real money on it.

7 Likes

For those unaware - LoL drops heroes way more commonly. In fact, they FLOOD YOU with them, to a point where you wonder which one to sell.

I’m all for a discussion about making it easier for new players to fill out their hero roster, but that’s a different discussion to loot boxes. The point with loot boxes and progression is you can get everything, including the in game currency.

2 Likes

The in-game currency does NOT buy you new heroes. LoL does allow it. Everything in this game is forged as intended, my little friend.

This game has way more impact from drafting, than playing it. A game which prides itself on draft too much, and denying gameplay choices to players behind hard restricted paywall. One of the reasons why the matches in your moba are a complete disaster.

Yes, gems do buy you new heroes, would you like me to do you a screen shot right now?

I already wrote that making the roster more easily obtainable for new players is a valid discussion. It’s just not related directly to loot boxes.

6 Likes

I dont think you ever played, or investigated how the monetization in LoL works. You are one of those “know it all” hots players. I will just ignore any message you make from now on.

It’s not “know it all” when you literally can use gems to buy heroes, it’s just knowledge of how the system works.

5 Likes

I have no words… The “know it all” does not comprehend a single word I say.

You earn gold and gems from playing the game and leveling heroes that you already own, are on free to play rotation, or can be selected from the shuffle picks in ARAMs. These currencies can then be used to purchase any hero, with nothing more invested than the time you already spend playing the game. Shards are only used for cosmetic items. Nothing in this regard has anything to do with any other video game.

You play the game, you get free stuff. Yay!

Edit: You also get gold for winning games, and doing daily quests.

2 Likes

Well, yes, I have demonstrated that I do know more about this game than many people. If you have specific questions on the best way to farm gold to purchase heroes more efficiently, let me know!

5 Likes

I provided him a link for that as I know, I don’t know it all. I do know enough to treat other people with civility though.

*Honestly, what’s up with the forums lately? So much unnecessary drama and hostility, it’s become the YouTube beauty community. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Eh, it’s no better nor worse than it has ever been. Some people are just better at accepting corrections than others. But in an effort to offset this, I may go Google some Hanzo fan art for your art thread. Slow night at work. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could OP perhaps tell me how I can get scammed by spending money on lootboxes? At least here in EU you haven’t been able to do it in over a year.

But seriously, OP is a troll. Just flag and carry on.

1 Like

Tell that to my wallet and the nearly $4k I’ve spent on this game.

Either way, the OP’s point is moot as there is no possible way to buy loot chests anymore. There is no path to spending money that will allow you to buy them without playing the game.

All content can just be purchased directly now anyway.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s a troll. I think he just got the wrong idea about how the system worked. It didn’t mesh with his preconceived notions, so he came here to tell us all the system was broken.

As with most what-I’ll-call-“confusion”, the issue is a false premise. The game designers deliberately help new players access the game by dropping many of the easier heroes in lootboxes and giving them stims/boosts to help make the leveling easier. It’s a reaction to criticism about getting new players to play ranked, and it’s intended to give enough options for a new player to try it out relatively quickly. That’s fair enough and on the surface would seem to help get players to enjoy playing.

Of course when you have a 5 year old account like mine, you already have all the heroes. You have most of the skins, so 99% of your drops are stuff you already have or a handful of the piddly stuff no one really cares about. Why? Because you already have everything. You don’t need the charity heroes. You’ll have plenty of gold to buy what you want if you play. Sure the rare stuff, the epics and legendaries, are still rare drops. They have to be, otherwise, you’d already have everything and you’d feel like you got no reward at all and no reward to even look for while playing.

Could stims/boosts be more common? Sure. It’s been a very long time since I’ve seen one and I open many lootboxes.

But the issue here is that the OP doesn’t understand why the algorithm is more generous up front, and why numerically, it must be less generous to established accounts.

2 Likes