Lag spikes in games HotS!

for the last 2 weeks i have lags in game 0.5-2seconds many times in one game
i tough was the CPU temp (70-80C) and i changed thermal paste also added 1 more fan now is 50-70C but still the same
i tested internet when it happen (running game in windowed ) the connection strong no problem (at least is on LAN) but same lags
my system is:
CPU i5 3470 with 4 cores 3,2GHz up to 3,6 GHz
onboard video card Intel HD 2500 with 1GB
2x 4GB RAM (8GB total)
HDD SATA 512GB (i think is not relevant)
LAN connection
Windows 10 (updated)
where is the problem?

I have been having terrible lag spikes also. Will play a few games just fine, then lag so much that i quit playing.

Hey there,

Does the lag happen in Try Mode? If you try a hero you don’t own for example? Try mode is offline so if it doesn’t happen there then the issue is likely network related.

I’d recommend running a WinMTR so we can look for packet loss or latency delays along the connection path.

1. Download WinMTR
  2. Right-click on the downloaded .zip folder and select “Extract All”, to extract the files to a new folder.
  3. Open the new WinMTR-v092 folder that was created, then open the WinMTR_x64 folder.
  4. Right-click on the WinMTR application and select “Run as administrator”.
  5. Type the server IP 185.60.112.157 in the “Host” field. Click “Start” to begin the test.
  6. Launch the game and join a match. Allow the test to run for the full duration of the match, then click on “Stop” when you’re done playing.
  7. Click on “Copy Text to Clipboard”, paste the results here, then highlight everything and hit the </> button in the posting section so it will allow links.

i’ve been having this same exact issue for the same amount of time. I don’t know if this will help but in Task Manager I looked at the waitchain and it was showing a list and it said that the program was in deadlock. Also, Valorant made by Riot is doing the exact same thing. I already uninstalled Hots and didn’t screenshot it.

A process showing deadlock in waitchain doesn’t mean much in this case unfortunately. If it was truly deadlocked the program would be frozen or hung, so that can be safely ignored here.

Lag spikes can be caused by a bunch of different things though. Driver issues, background programs, overheating, connection instability, those are all common causes for lag spikes.

WinMTR can help determine if there’s a connection instability.

solved! the issue was from settings in game, my system is at limit on low line and i had textures- middle and sound quality-high…but this didn’t solve all of the spikes, i still had some but wasn’t that frequently and i had to go in the BIOS, i set the fan speed to increase rpm when cpu reach 60C (i don’t think here was the problem but now my cpu is 45-60C) and i “overclock” the RAM (and i think here was the big problem) by default was 1333MHz and i set to 1600MHz (typical DDR3 ) and timing the RAM 9-9-9-24-2 (you have to know what your RAM supports) also i moved game files from C to D,i downloaded CrystalDisc and i’ve seen that D drive it’s faster than C drive (i’ve seen on youtube what causes spikes on HotS)…and now is working well

A post was split to a new topic: Drow3D lag spikes