Karabot comic #169: The Storm stands for Sylvanas

<-Prev Comic | Next comic->

My Comic AMA:

9 Likes

I like the little Skull on the arrow :skull:
whats written
on the Wanted Paper:
undead or deadead
March, 2013: added to HS (latter banned later)

this refers to her going to the HoF

March, 2015: unleashed in HOTS (rip Haunted Mines)

idk the specifics but Haunted Mines has probably more bugs than Tomb of the Spiderqueen has Spiders

August, 2018: Destroying WoW lore (BfA)

i don’t play WoW but think this has something to do with her burning “the World Tree”

September, 2023: Broken HotS Homescreen (signed)

Sylvanas brings trouble wherever she is.

In Hearthstone (HS), she was a really strong and unfun card which was so good, that it was an auto-include and latter the devs banned it, banshing it to the “Hall of Fames”.

Haunted Mines (and a few other maps’ objectives) were reworked due to her originally. The Bugs for HM mostly came from it being not developed when it was banished to be reworked once again.
Since HM’s objective (be it the push with the Golem or push while the enemy gathers the skulls in the mine) heavily favoured a Sylvanas bruteforce, she caused the most trouble there.

In WoW, she messed up a lot of things, because ppl forced her into roles her character didn’t fit into. A part of it was the Burning of Teldrassil and the whole of Shadowlands.

And now all you can see in the Homescreen of HotS is her tiny name in the left top corner, lol.

I knew that Sylvanas has no time for games, but ruining them is something else :smiley:

4 Likes

and here I thought my computer f-ed up somewhere

That is just bad writing where they ruined her along with a bunch of other characters as well as the lore in general. They made her into an idiot in becoming just a minion for a being who created Frostmourne, the Helm of Domination, and the Scourge. Then she is surprised when the Jailer “betrays” her, and then goes on to create the lamest reason why he did what he did. Sylvanas’ bad character arc is just one rotting apple in the landfill that is the game’s lore.

WoW has been steadily mulching up the lore since the game was first released, they just really ramped it up in the last 2-3 expansion packs. They then decided to go back and smack the snot out of Warcraft 3 while they were at it with the Reforged “upgrade”, which while I had not played, I had heard they tinkered with the lore to fit in with what happened in the MMO.

The most recent dumpstering of lore is one that has me mildly interested in going back to WoW: They are allowing everyone, including the draenei (with eredar skins) to become warlocks. I just want to make a “draenei” warlock and name them Lolwatslore if possible.

Yeah, sure, let’s just invite the one race that has been running roughshod over the universe for the last twenty thou–excuse me, I forgot they retconned–thirteen thousand years. Let’s invite the Nathrezim and Faceless Ones over while we are at it, because everyone deserves a second…thousandth chance.

I bet they’ll make Sargeras into a misunderstood villian…oh wait, they kinda did.

3 Likes

I mean, he kind of was even from the beginning.

Essentially, Sargeras was a titan and titans fought against the void. Denizens of the void, when destroyed, would return to the void and reform once again.

Sargeras felt like the way the titans were going about things was an act in futility so he adopted the fel and began destroying planets to reduce the places the old gods could fester.

Now, there’s nothing wrong with that but when Sargeras wants to destroy your world, then we have a problem with that. Ultimately, there doesn’t seem to be a final solution for the void and I think the best the titans have done was imprison the old gods within the planet to prevent them from rejoining the void and beginning their cycle anew.

4 Likes

It has been a while but if I remember correctly the demons originally just corrupted Sargeras over time with him just taking up the mantle of Fallen Titan due to simply falling to darkness and not because he witnessed the void in the process of corrupting a titan planet.

I could be wrong though.

My jab at the end is towards the writers who are prone to writing the bad guys as misunderstood. Which there is nothing wrong with that so long as it is not overused and reasoning is genuinely understandable with the player thinking “Yeah, I can see why you would do that, still messed up as all get out.” or even as far as “…why can’t I join this guy/gal? They make sense!” but unfortunately that is lost on them as of Shadowlands.

That’s my reasoning anyways.

1 Like

Not sure about pre-Chronicles, but post-, it was always about Old Gods corrupting World Souls which led Sargeras to decide on universe-level genocide.

2 Likes

I have nothing to add other than a thanks to Kara for putting a huge smile on my face, love this one.

3 Likes

Glad you enjoy it! Let’s hope that Tom can fix at least the newest HotS-related crime Sylvanas did against all of the living!

4 Likes

I recall way back before they changed it, it was hinted that the Old Gods wanted Sargeras to step through the Well of Eternity, and were said to be so powerful that even Sargeras would be begging for mercy. However, that was a long time ago back before they made the titans as large and as powerful as they are now.

That was back when Broxigar the Red YOLO jumped into a portal to start stacking demon bodies to then actually come face to face with Sargeras on a planet, even giving him a papercut with that magical wooden axe before getting smooshed.

Man, I wanted the chadest orc way more than Grommash or someone else. I hoped at least for a Garrosh Grommash and Broxigar skin…

1 Like

Personally either him or Varok Saurfang, although I can see Varok being a legendary skin for Varian as he was a master of all paths of the warrior, he just preferred using a two-handed weapon most of the time.

Broxigar came long after the feud between Sargeras and the old gods.

Sargeras needed an army so he came across the planet of Draenor where he corrupted the orcs and created the first Eredar. Then enlisted Gul’dan to create a portal to Azeroth to continue his war but that story was rooted long before retcons and such.

That was the premise for turning Draenor into the Outlands in Warcraft 2. Sargeras destroyed many more planets before he came across Draenor.

I am confused here, and gonna have to debate some things. Keep in mind this all off the top of my head and not double checking.

1. The eredar were corrupted by Sargeras on Argus with the draenei, led by Velen, fleeing Argus 13,000 years ago in current canon (I think originally it was 20,000 years ago before retcon) with them crashing on Draenor about 300 years before the Legion discovered them being there.

2. Sargeras was possessing Medivh before the First War broke out. It was Kil’jaeden who orchestrated the corruption of the orcs, but he had them murdering draenei before they took even a single sip of demon blood by pretending to be the spirits/ancestors and convincing the orcs as a whole that the draenei needed to be exterminated. It wasn’t until Ner’zhul realized that it was a demon talking to him instead of his mate (he eventually met his real mate’s spirit) that Kil’jaeden had him replaced with Gul’dan who had been working in the shadows with the demon blood drank not long afterwards.

3. Originally the draenei were wiped out in the Warcraft games with only the Broken alive by the time Illidan (possibly even earlier before Draenor went kaboom) arrived in Outland. It was only when Burning Crusade was released did they retcon that some of the draenei survived. In both cases a large amount of draenei were corrupted by a demonic gas cloud that turned them into Broken and some devolving further into Lost Ones.

4. The Legion did not destroy Draenor. That was all Ner’zhul’s fault due to his lust for power and conquest (he had become corrupted by the Skull of Gul’dan if I remember correctly) in opening more portals than the planet could handle. After he jumped through a portal, he got snatched by Kil’jaeden who tortured him to then stuff his spirit into the Helm of Domination, the suit of armor, and Frostmourne to create the first Lich King. Ner’zhul sending agents through the portal to Azeroth is what kicked off the Second War if I remember correctly.

5. I cannot recall much of the Old Gods other than they were at the time written as being powerful enough to bring Sargeras to his knees. This was before they made Titans far larger than a planet such as Azeroth and at least with Sargeras he was just a hulking brute about as big as one of his avatars. That was written before the Titan constructs were expanded as being created to fight the Old God and their armies after one of the Titans yoinked an Old God off the surface of Azeroth as if it were a simple hair but left a bleeding wound (Well of Eternity) in its place.

1 Like

Correct. I made a mistake but yes, you’re right. They were on Argus when the Eredar were created. The draenei who sided with Sargeras became the Eredar.

KJ is one of the first Eredar but Sargeras did need an army and so it wasn’t KJ’s idea to enslave the orcs. KJ did handle that directly though.

The main draenei who became lost ones were the ones who survived the slaughter in Shattrath City and then were poisoned as you said. I forgot where but there were BC stories or animated cinematics that spoke on how draenei on the outskirts of the city who fled when they saw the seige. They were still Draenei.

The outlands are what is left of Draenor. Personally, I see that as destroyed but when I said destroyed, I didn’t mean vaporized. In WoD, you go back to Draenor and see it as it was originally.

The time of Nerz’hul’s involvement of the legion was after the corruption of orcs and draenor. Draenor was already a wasteland by the time Ner’zhul obtained the skull of Gul’dan.

I’m not sure about the well of eternity or anything. I just remember that Sargeras was desperate in trying to eradicate the Old Gods and that time was running out for Sargeras because the Old Gods were killing off the titans slowly and steadily.

1 Like

Yes I remember that part of sylvanas on hearstone, feels like a lot of time since I played the card a long time ago. Poor sylvanas being trouble wherever she goes.