Is anyone else getting a million HotS updates?

Tech Support already came with the answer for you if you cared to look.

Pls link a source that actually says they do that. If a more trusted company had the same bug in thier games then you would properly say ‘‘its all fine its just a bug guys’’ But when it happens in a Blizzard game you call it hidden crypto mining. I get it you hate Blizzard but at least have some common sense in your posts.

3 Likes

Furthermore, Kotick and Ybarra would be actively bragging about how much money they could make out of it, and they’re not. I imagine they’ll try in the future though (won’t be surprised if Diablo Phone includes some Nasty F’ing ThingS)

Yep, and just like matchmaking nothing will be done to fix it.

h ttps://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/norton-360-now-comes-with-a-cryptominer/

Being it a big company under a thorough scope they had to do it more “legally”, therefore opt in. This does not changes anything for a common user, who uses antivirus to do what antivirus should do - protect the PC, not mine crypto. Even through nothing can be done to them due to legislative the “product” agreement being in ToS. In EU such conduct is illegal due to consumer protection law.

Might not be illegal, I don’t know US law, but this is a shady stuff to say at least.

Being that officialy acknowledged there can be no doubt that it is a common pratcice, only now they took it a step further with intent to do it legally. Just like surveillance and data collection through phones etc.

And Epstein hanged himself. Right. But you were told so so it is true.

https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1478479483585933312?s=19

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/faq-norton-crypto

On the same note, one can use the computer idling time to help scientific research. I personally use World Grid Community or World Community Grid but I guess there are a lot more.

1 Like

And Qanon supporters was waiting 4 hours for JFK Junior to show up together with Trump but never happend. If you are gonna turn this thread into a conspiricy thread then you can do that alone.

Those links does not prove that the continues downloading from the Bnet client is stealing information from your computer. Those links are about Norton not doing its job. Good I dont have that program tho. You still not found found a source that actually tells Blizzard are stealing information from you from that download bug.

Their wording is poor but that’s the source they speak of, to equate a bug of downloading indexes of garbage data to crypto mining is a tin foil hat.

1 Like

This whole “theory” is in part lifted from a more elaborate one posted on the Hots subReddit that was at least more creative.

tfw that same post has hack in its name slapped in and the definition of hack is how to clean that rubbish data that is being dumped into your storage lol

I know, it was a huge groan and eye roller for me and I just moved on. I did expect to see a version of it pop up here, my disappointing prediction is sadly affirmed.

Has anyone found a solution that works?

No its still an issue for me. My game has to download/install the same update every time I launch the game.

Sometimes it downloads it and I still get a version mismatch and have to relaunch the game.

1 Like

That workaround did work for me (I created a desktop shortcut so I wouldn’t need to navigate the folders every time).

Of course, if you processor is 32 bits, then the executable you need to run is probably in “support” and not “support64”.

Also, note that you might still get the “version mismatch” error sometimes, but you can just run it again (still bypassing the launcher). I’ve never had 2 “version mismatch” errors in a row.

Other than that, all we can do is wait for a patch to fix it. Though I think it’s the Battle.net app that needs a fix, not HotS itself.

3 Likes

So after 3 months plus, all they have done is come up with a workaround to this?
They said they were aware of the issue well before the new year, and they can’t be bothered to either undo wth they did, or resolve the issue they created.
What else do we expect from blizz these days?

That wasn’t them. It came from players. And it doesn’t work for everyone.

they broke something with the new client. they will blame users like normal until they find the problem and youll just see it in the patch notes. oh btw we fixed a bug we made so ya btw all the people banned for being salty about it and saying something about. still banned.

doesnt work for me. i try with a lot of possible solution of different posts and pages, no one work.

Ouf, sorry friend. Battle net has just been downright embarrassing.

1 Like