Incitement to Suicide in-Game

Note: I’ve been trying to find a way to share a replay here. Title says share a link, but then tells me the link is an unclear title (would go to a google doc.). And we’re not allowed links in the text… So this post is worthless for the most part.

Anyway. I don’t usually bother with stuff like this, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen another player literally tell someone to kill themselves, AND how to do it. I can’t seem to find any other place to put this; customer support links just take me to the same junk about reporting in-game. No one needs to watch the whole replay. If one could skip to 3:00 and watch Kel’Thuzad’s chat til about 5:00, it would be perfectly clear. He keeps on this for the whole game after the first obj.

Most of the time I’ll report it and move on, but I don’t think that would achieve the proper effect in this case. There is no way this person should stay in the game. Cursing is fine. Insults are fine. I don’t even put much stock in any kind of slurs (even against me), but you can’t be allowed to incite someone to kill themselves. There’s no laughing and shaking off a corpse on your hands.

3 Likes

Isnt ‘get cancer and die’ the same thing? Ive seen that countless times and nobody seems to get banned for it because its still a popular phrase to use.

1 Like

Blizzard wants you to use the in-game reporting function (unless it’s a brawl), then wait 3-4 months until they are maybe/probably silenced for one week for abusive chat.

Thank you for your concern. Your report is very important to us. We take this kind of crap really, really, really seriously. Really seriously. We mean it – seriously is how we take this. We apologize for the inconvenience. Have a nice day. Thank you, come again. Your call is important to us.

1 Like

There are options in game to report such people. I suggest using those in future. And yes they do capture a chat log around the time.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with this post. Telling someone to commit suicide is inhuman. And sad thing is Blizzard gives 0 care about this. I’ve made posts in the past about this as well, contacted the company, actually got to chat with an online representative, and they essentially had 0 reasonable nor caring response.

This toxicity and lack of care for the game by the company is why I’ve just left the game and moved on to better, more fun games.

1 Like

They do care and might punish the person if they were reported in game around the time it happened. People get punished for saying bad stuff all the time, with punishments ranging from temporary mutes to even bans.

Inciting violence is not protected under the first amendment, so if they go far enough you could call the cops. If any self harm comes from it the person could face jail time.

The fact that you say that they “might” punish the person is sad. They should absolutely punish that person but like I said before, Blizzard doesn’t care.

How does someone ‘get’ cancer? Should I go buy it or what?
The OP describes something like: “go buy some rope and hang yourself by it in the basement”, which is wrong and should be reported.

1 Like

Sounds like a pretty extreme case. I think reports are your only route. Blizzard could do with “threat levels” and permaban or even IP ban such hopelessly malignant/disturbed people. Does anyone ever get permabanned in this game? This might be an instance where hearing about the action resulting from a report, as some have requested, would be extra fulfilling.

If someone tries to do what Kel’Thuzad “says”… Shouldn’t he/she be locked/watched/whatever and not the Kel’Thuzad’s player?

Basically if the person goes around doing that a lot, and they play alot they will get silenced and eventually banned. If they only do it once in a blue moon they wont compile the amount of reports needed to get silenced. But if they are doing it frequently enough I would expect some action to happen but you just will never know about it.
On the other hand feeders, griefers, troll picks etc… seem to all have carte blanche from Blizzard to do w/e the heck they want as I don’t think those types of reports ever seem to cause any action. Abusive text reports are easy automated actionable offenses the others require someone to look into it a bit and that’s definitely not happening.

1 Like

While I agree that this is a horrible thing to say to someone. The person in question was most likely anywhere from 10-15 and made a mistake, the mob mentality of “No one cares enough, we aren’t doing the right thing!” is a bit much. Granted if the person he said it to was already suicidal this is even more unfortunate. You can’t control all of your interactions with other humans. Luckily in game you can report him, mute him and move on. Hopefully you encouraged the other person that that persons comments were totally unwarranted and that they are being an insensitive jerk. If everyone on your team reported the guy he will be silenced fairly soon, and with enough silences be banned.

Get cancer and die isn’t wrong? Just because he describes a way to kill yourself does the ultimate message of the insult, to die change?

If you’ll read my post you’ll see that I did not write it is not wrong.
On another note, are you really so sensitive that something a player writes into a chat in an online game affects you so much? You will need a much thicker skin to survive in the real world.
People have been writing nasty things to each other for a very long time now and while there is a definite line that should not be crossed, insults and terms like these should be ignored because if you don’t react to someone writing childish nonsense then they will fail at their goal to make you feel bad.

as a person who had all these bans for vulgar words: minutes, into hours that become weeks then months… they gave ban for half a year and my last penalty was for whole year.

Guys, all of this for calling others ‘carrots’ or ‘animals’ or just ‘noob’. I get it. every time i got tilted too much so I typed too much salt.

But then I come back from ban to see ppl still asking others to suicide or die from cancer. I can see feeders or afkers on stormleague.

Then Im like… Im gold 1 why nobody cares here? I ask them about the game, I ask them in lobby. PPl usually dont talk strategys but crying about picks or talents ppl pick.

You ping on somebody, you ask somebody about going on lane(cuz for example you are only tank) they ignore you and type like 10 mins later that its fault of the others that we 2 levels behind.

Reporting system doesnt work from simple cauze. It’s easy to verify if someone was offensive with words but its hard to verify if he LEFT, FED intentionally or anything that needs to see actual gameplay.

Only good solution would be to stop banning for words so there are less reports so you can actually look into games and verify if ANY harmful action was done.

We already know you guys just automatically ban ppl for reports. How about stop banning for offensive language and start verifyin auto bans for intentionally feeding or afking or just tradewinning.

SDDS, thats my word.

edit: or stop banning in the case when person is attacked verbally by the team.

The other issue with the automated silencing / banning from “abusive text” reports is that it allows 4man squads to hold their 5th random hostage if they know about the automated silencing. I know it’s happened to me a few times before where I’ll get matched with a 4 man in draft and they will demand I play a certain hero. Then they will say “we are 4 man you will get 4 reports, enjoy the silence” if you don’t do exactly what they say. I think the system treats it differently if you get 4 reports in one game and they can actually use the fact that they are a 4 man to dictate exactly how they want you to play, how they want you to draft and then they can flame you all kinds of awful stuff for the slightest mistake and you just have to take it or turn off team chat. But you are probably getting 4 reports regardless. Which god forbid if that Jaina you asked to get camp earlier decided that you even typing to her was toxic / worthy of reporting, you are probably going to get silenced as a result.

After your first silence, you will get the habit to mute all before de match starts…

Just had a game with an Anduin that spent the whole match telling everyone to kill themselves.
I reported him but I also have the replay? Does anyone @blizzcs want it?

Should be an instant lifetime ban imo.