I have played SL on 2 different accounts and... uhhh

That wasn’t okay overall.
I have 40%+ winrate on my main account (master) and I can clearly see people became… worse. I was playing healers mostly and tanks sometimes, didn’t use TLV.
People do too much mistakes what cause enemy team to snowball us and that continues until we lose.

Here comes my Sadius account.
I have climbed with Shadowere from middle Gold to middle Plat but after that we were getting :poop: games with :poop: teammates.

Let me explain what I mean.

• dude acts very unusual, nobody can undesrtand what he tries to say in English, goes Anubarak last pick when we have Mei and lack damage, dies the most from our team.
  • Imperius, what acts like top 1 GM in Za Warudo, trashtalks everyone, goes 1v5, chases enemies for nothing and wastes his time/dies.
  • D.Va, who ignores everyone, doesn’t communicate, doesn’t join her team for 5v5 fights at all, doesn’t come to objective, doesn’t defend it. And only at the end of the game, when we lost, she wrote “Uninstall” :roll_eyes:
  • KT, who goes Convection vs dive team and dies 24/7, takes the most terrible build, goes Fenix at 20 instead Q range to stay safer. Had same damage as out Mei…
  • Muradin. He was playing ok at the start. But ad the mid-late game, he was soaking with my TLV, afking and dying 1v5. At the end he wrote “Report TLV” ?!

My question - what the heck is happening across SL?!

Edit: Added Muradin example.
Edit 2: added replays.
Edit 3: re-posted replays

3 Likes

This doesn’t make sense. If everyone else in SL is getting worse, and your skill is the same, you should be winning more than you lose.

6 Likes

Well, since I’ve already done my bit of asking around, I’ve come prepared with a conclusion:

1. There’s a lot of server migration happening to NA at the moment, and as a result, there may be some imbalance happening over there, but that’ll just fix itself.
  2. A good amount of people are coming back to the game amid Hogger’s release and recent updates it’s going through. And once you play a game you havent played in a year or two, particularly one so demanding of skill like a moba, you end up playing higher in rank than you actually are. But again, that’ll also fix itself.
4 Likes

How do I suppose to climb if my teammates pull down by their stupidity?
I am not Fan to carry the bronzies no matter what. If me+Shadow (+Harb) can’t win even with 1 horrible person, how do you expect me (us) to win with 2+ such people?

Each game - one idiot. In this game it’s enough to lose hard. Every game was hoping for comeback but it was a waste of time.

It’s not Dota 2 where one person can carry entire team.
I am playing 2 different mobas right now and I can clearly see the difference where you can carry even with some bad players and where you will lose no matter what.

Because the stupid is more likely to be on the other team, provided your skill hasn’t changed. If there is only one potato in the game, there is a 4 in 9 chance they will be on your team, and a 5 in 9 chance they will be on the enemy team.

9 Likes

At around plat you have tryharders who hate you for picking a talent twitcher nr 76 doesn’t recommend and they will stand and lector you about it.

You also have people who diehard defending their friends or party members

Or you have people who only care about stats, your tank has the highest dmg because your muradin who went in all of the time and forgot about the teammates. So the team dies and you are to flame because you didnt do much

It just sucks best thing you can do on your smurf is enjoying yourself and try to practice heroes you never take on master

2 Likes

Over a great amount of games, you’ll win an equal amount of games because the enemy team will have the same.

:roll_eyes:

The simple fact is it takes hundreds or thousands of games to smooth out variance.

Having a 20 game losing streak for example, is generally simply variance

5 Likes

Im almost lvl 200 on maeive because I avoid this stuff xD im not good at low ranks

1 Like

I agree with Hoku and Planar.
It is illogical to assume one losing more because their surroundings became less skilled.
And on the long run luck will be mitigated.

Sorry Hoku, but this is just wrong, because this game is a team-dependent game and it should be natural that in higher leagues it’s even more one-sided, if one of the team had more bad players than the other.

Sure Sadius examples might be exaggerated and he might be tilted, because lose-streaks exists, but still.

It is simple math that if you are good, the enemy team has a better chance of getting more bad players, so the one-sided matches should be in your favor more often than not.

I believe it was NotParadox that said 30% of your matches will be a loss due to a bad player on your team, 30% of your matches will be a win because of a bad player on the enemy team, so that leaves 40% of the games that will be decided on skill. If your skill is above the average of your rank, you will climb. The bigger the difference between your skill and the rank average, the faster you will climb.

7 Likes

In a long run within a lot of games, maybe. But it doesn’t change the fact that 10+ lose streaks can still happen and I guess that’s kinda OP’s point since his sample size is small.

Well sure, but it is a failure of logic to then assume that with such a small sample size, that this is any sort of evidence that the player base has collectively gotten worse. If everyone but DrLogan was bad at the game, he would be GM.

5 Likes

Sure there might be an issue with this statement at first glance, because it’s exaggerated (he sounds tilted), but one thing is interesting. This small sample size shows that higher rank =! skillful player, when in high ranks you have players who fail at basics?

Sure it does, just the timing is bad and way too late. Blizzard messed up ranked long time ago and you could see many people getting their highest ranks ever shortly after.
Both massive decrease in skill and people winning more happened already.

I remember that well, but that was a case of screwing up placements, putting people randomly at the wrong rank. This isn’t the case currently, as new accounts can’t place higher than G5, so wouldn’t be affecting Diamond+. In addition, rank decay means if you aren’t an active player at high ranks, you are no longer in high ranks.

If anything, the current system would mean that a good player surrounded by idiots would see the idiots falling out of their rank faster.

We are seeing kind of the opposite on NA right now, as a ton of high ranked players from EU, and a number from KR, are playing SL there now, mostly due to CCL providing an opportunity for pro players to actually make a little money playing. The GM ladder is currently populated by a lot of non-NA players, which has shifted the ladder fairly noticeably.

If it were merely a case of potatoes holding people back, rather than skill proving to hold true, the NA ladder would not have changed as much as it has.

1 Like

Im talking about “the announcement”, mostly. The number of competetive players dropped massively. For example:
In order for GM from previous season to get on GM list again (assuming he had enough rank points) he had to play 10 games. Well they didnt even play that and people who never get GM before got one in 24h. Just because someone didnt play at all. GM list got full of nonames very fast.
Combine that with Blizzard increasing M from 1% to 2% of playerbase, semi-forced rank division and you get what is happening.
So Logan is right, you are right, but this discussion is long overdue. People reached M or what not shortly after for the first time ever, and while I dont want to diminish the value of this achievement, claiming that personal skill improvent is completely responsible for it is lying to yourself.

And that is exactly the opposite of what DrLogan is claiming in his OP. You are right, when the player base did noticeably and quantifiably dropp in quality, the more decent players of those who were left climbed to ranks they probably didn’t deserve. DrLogan is claiming that he, whose skill probably didn’t change, is losing rank because the player base is getting worse.

1 Like

And that doesn’t make sense ^^ Players get placed on the ladder relative to the other players. If everyone gets worse then he should come out on top of them, eventually. One can be unlucky and loose a few games in a row tho but why stop there?^^

Ive been thinking alot about this bc harb and i had similar difficulties in na. Where we should have had easy games but were not.

1 ping really hurts cross server . Especially when im fairly close to my main rank. I lose about 1/3 of my roster because i just cannot land skillshots.

2 neither of us play damage. I rewatched that infernal shrines game and you and i were doing pretty much everything right. When dva ignored objective we backed off and defended. There was a time when you got 3 in sleep and i followed up after with a blessed shield. Problem was damage completely ignored it and they all survived. Same with my entombs as leoric.

3 since we duo we get put against teams so we’re not facing uncoordinated plat players we’re facing coordinated ones. We still have 3 potatoes who will do the opposite of what we ask.

2 Likes