"I can't fill" - Storm League

Just wondering what peoples opinons are on players during draft who are unable to fill. Usually a DD unable to tank or heal.

Personally it annoys me and I feel every player who wants to play ranked should aim to have a couple of heroes in each role to fill if the situation requires it.

1 Like

ā€˜ā€˜I can reportā€™ā€™ is my answer :octopus:

Itā€™s antisocial behavior but what can you do about itā€¦

Fortunately some onetricks/OTPs are actually good at their hero (or role) but most people who say they canā€™t fill are pretty bad. :frowning:

Personally, I believe anyone who ques for SL should be ready to play any role at a moments notice.

If they canā€™t, they donā€™t have enough overall HotS experience for Ranked games.

4 Likes

I always disliked it. I drafted around others way too often, which can feel unfair.

2 Likes

Tbh. it depends on the league, but for bronze - gold I can say draft is meaningless, the only thing that matters is that you know your hero you are playing. And personally I would rather play with players, who say ā€œI canā€™t fillā€ than with someone who is forcing others to roles they donā€™t enjoy. Good players can win with any formation and bad players will cry for tank and heal, who should babysit them 24/7.

2 Likes

Damage ā€œmainsā€ who say this are often unable to deal damage either, and like to blame this on the tank/healer when it becomes painfully apparent in game.

6 Likes

I donā€™t really play draft but it seems like something I would say if I had been pigeonholed into service roles for the last several games and wanted to have some fun instead.

2 Likes

in the times I have to play draft (friends forcing me into it) I practically have to one trick because my winrates on other heroes are so abysmal it tends to look like Iā€™m throwing when I play them, I feel like if someone is unable to fill due to knowing the alternative is plainly worse for the team it is reasonable, if they are just doing it to hate on their tanks or healers that obviously is a jerk move.

1 Like

I will fill healer if I have to, but I donā€™t own a lot so Iā€™m pretty limited in choice. So generally, I prefer not to.

Besides, Iā€™ll do way way better on tank/my mains than any role, even assassins, so thereā€™s that.

Cant and wont are the same thing. If they say they cant, it means they dont want to. They can but they are there to troll

The problem with games like Hots is there is always more assassin players than healers or tanks. I understand why some people are saying ā€œdonā€™t play ranked if you canā€™t fill all rolesā€ but honestly, some people really canā€™t play melee heroes and/or healers.

Iā€™d rather a player be honest and say they are a terrible tank player, or an assassin OTP so as a team we can work around it, rather than that player feel forced to play a role they have no aptitude for. Draft and communication is part of the teamwork that is required for Hots.

I will concede that as a former tank/healer main when I played ranked, always being expected to fill when I wanted to take a perfect niche pick did get tiresome.

4 Likes

I mean in my mind if you have the ability to fill, it means you already somewhat enjoy playing healers or tanks or whatever role youā€™re complaining about people not filling.

So wouldnā€™t you want to do whatā€™s best for your team to win? Its not like you dislike the other roles or you wouldnā€™t have gotten to the point where you can fill using them.

I agree, people should be able to fill but Iā€™d much rather them speak up than play something really bad.
When I was playing ranked and was the lowest I used to always offer to heal so I could get carried back then :stuck_out_tongue: I have a pretty big hero pool so can play most counters but man Iā€™ve seen some one tricks that can play their heroes well.

Still I think itā€™s good to say something unless you get a situation like mine where I think we had no hope anywayā€¦:
I had where a person said ā€œI canā€™t fillā€ so I said Iā€™ll fill but tanks are not my best, so everyone else snap picks assassins and then I say play whatever Iā€™ll do the other spot. They hover a tank then with 10 secs to go they say they can tank so I say Ill do it change to a tank they change to rag and proceed to be the worst rag iā€™ve ever seen. They then proceeded to say they cant tank or bruise and had never actually played rag beforeā€¦

1 Like

I actually get a little stressed out on tank when playing with lower ranks cause Iā€™m kind of having to micro them as well as myself on top of making calls.

Iā€™d prefer not to tank but I always end up doing it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I donā€™t really like healing but I have a few healers I can use and generally dont mind for a couple of games. There are a number of times where I have been left having to pick healer or leave the team without one though.

I like pretty much every other role and do enjoy tanking. However there are times ive had a few frustrating games in a row on tank, with DDs that donā€™t know what they are doing and I want a break from it.

Also I donā€™t see how you can lie about not being able to play a role if you donā€™t feel like playing it though. People can and do look at your profile, I do it myself and have a quick scan of what iā€™ve been teamed up with.

Fairly often iā€™ll get asked ā€œcan you tankā€ near the start of a draft because someone has looked at my profile and seen I have a few tanks with a decent winrate.

These are the ones who canā€™t fill. They canā€™t main, either.

^^^ So it largely doesnā€™t matter anyway.

1 Like

Iā€™m really good at Vikings and Abathur
Iā€™m decent enough at most main tanks.
Iā€™m okay at brusiers.

Iā€™m not great at healers.
Iā€™m really garbage at mages.

Yet, I almost always get shoved into those roles. We get some trigger happy Arthas on the mana-sucking juice of waveclearing with Remorseless Winter, while Iā€™m stuck on like, Uther trying to actually heal, or trying (miserably) to carry teamfights on Gulā€™Dan/Tassadar.

1 Like

You can play 2 roles like healer and dps. But then dont pick super late

1 Like

Exactly. I won more games with totally odd drafts and lost games where we had good drafts. For exactly that reason that people know/donā€™t know their heroes.

Why not? I usually prefer to pick late because I want to see enemys picks.

Depends on how itā€™s expressed.

Is it a ā€˜I wonā€™t play anything elseā€™ or a ā€˜I can/will play it if necessary, but I wonā€™t be able to do it wellā€™ kind of thing? The former is rather rude, but the latter is reasonable. Not everyone is a perfect flex that will have mastered all roles equally well, so warning your team of a possible weakness does make sense. (Provided itā€™s done in time for the team to potentially adapt to it.)

3 Likes