I Can't Believe How Low-Skill the Playerbase Is

Has it been the same guy every time for months?

That’s very debatable. A lof of players random merc camps, or don’t show up for the objective. There’S no way they are equally skilled as someone who does, but they are matched anyway. Also when a player is on their first few ranked games, they are not matched only with players who are also on their first game.

Also, the game cannot match based on game knowledge. (If the game had a proper tutorial, I’D love to at least get matched with other players who completed it, and players who don,t know anything can play each other and fight mid lane)

No one forces you to do anything. And I don’t see the relation between tilting and being a good player.

1 Like

Yes, sometimes i get the same guy several times in a row.

And then you don’t see that guy again, because he’s suspended.

2 Likes

Sounds to me like the weak minded played themselves.

1 Like

No, they just get leaver queue so they can ruin QM as well. Afkers never get banned, the report system is a failure, the game didn’t just die due to how awesome it is.

nothing, because the biggest things that cause the problem are ‘features’ that make the game what it is. if they changed things then hots would be a LoL or DotA clone basically.

also here is something:

2 Likes

My advice, just make it a point to carry every game (Yea ik, easier said than done). Pick a hero that you can so totally overwhelm the other team with that you don’t have to worry about the fact that your team’s butcher has died 17 times in 16 minutes.

And if you think you considerably better than the others on your team, then make it a point to NOT play support; be the one to initiate/make the plays.

Potatoes everywhere (in my team, just right now)!

Nice example from today.
Me: “wait until I depush and come, dont engage”.
3 seconds later, 3 allies dead.

It looks like they simplified the inputs. I played GG X2 and some of the inputs were nightmares… I got good with I-NO, but it was hell. Then I moved on to Baiken and it was really fun to player her, then I found that Eddie was pretty crazy too.

I want to get good with fighting games but I will need an arcade stick for me to take it seriously.

I-No pretty much needed a stick to be used to full potential (Unless you didn’t mind blistering your thumbs lol)

But they did change some inputs when the motion was just stupid.

1 Like

I have the PS2 disc and played with a controller. But yeah, she needed an arcade stick.

That’s good to know. I have been hearing that fighting games in general are trying to make inputs way simpler, removing half circles and 360 circles, or any other complicated motion with the directionals. I feel that’s good. I prefer being complex with what you can do not how it is done with the controller. If that makes sense.

EDIT: Just saw some vids on Guilty Gear Xrd -REV2 and it seems they went from a deep-voiced male to a cutesy j-pop voice for the announcers. The game is metal AF, but it looks like the voice actress for Kinomoto Sakura (love her btw) got on the wrong set…

The main problem is the noob cycle. Since the playerbase is about 98% low skill all they got to practice against and observe are other noobs. It doesn’t matter what mode or what mmr it is, people don’t know how to play the game yet win, because opponent doesn’t know either.

It’s single-player game for most people, the others are there just to legitimize their ego boost. People aren’t bad at single-player games, they are all ‘good’ in their own way. You can’t fight that mentality.

Now some less important problems that both contribute to cycle and set the tone:

1. Blizzard is either incompetent or doesn’t care. It takes them ages to fix problems, innovate or provide extra content. Not to mention they still don’t understand how dire the skill situation is. If you need a proof just look at updates since 2016 or so, extremely slowly making the game easier.
  2. The game is Blizzard game played by Blizzard players. Sheltered single-player experience with friends set in multiplayer background. Blizzard gamers are loyal and frequent casuals, coming for the ride rather than to compete. It’s the same problem overwatch has but without any of the redeeming factors of ow.
  3. Any confrontation is considered bad. I don’t know why that’s the case but there is 0 communication and absolute disregard for other’s opinion. I suspect Blizzard must’ve set it up that way somehow because it’s so unnatural but I have no evidence for that beyond non-existent cross-team chat.

Now I think it’s fair to provide some solutions to balance the criticism:

1. Reduce map count (let people vote which maps they like most) and make minor adjustments to them. It’s nice novelty but it complicates things too much (+ isn’t it better if people play the more popular maps more?).
  2. Reduce number of modes to streamline the game and allow for better matchmaking without impacting queues. Unranked and pve difficulties need to go. Hopefully removal of unranked will cause qm (the most important mode) to be slightly better as well.
  3. Loosen the report system. Silence -> start muted by everyone. Swearing -> ignore, use mature filter. Afk -> increase the kick countdown. For it’s state hots is doing really well on the offense side compared to other multiplayer games, no need to be harsh.
  4. Focus players on soaking xp, not dying and getting mercenaries. Together with playing tank/healer, these should either be rewarded or their lack of punished.
  5. Introduce ‘team leader’ concept to promote strategy and communication and reduce reliance on premades. Team leader’s mmr/rating is affacted more to force responsibility.

The last two points are unrealistic and too direct, I just think they would be neat.

This whole section is pretty pointless as hots is dead game to Blizzard and gaming community. We all know Blizzard doesn’t plan for future too much these days, prefering to gain passive revenue rather than invest money in the game. They are very much content with the state of the game, happy to provide ‘fun and wholesome’ content for self-centered casuals.

I know this topic is specifically about aram but it’s the same issue hots as a whole has. I don’t expect anyone to read this, I just needed to vent somewhere as all I encounter in game and from mainstream is indifference or constant positivism.

2 Likes

I wish you luck. Most hardcore fanboys will veto most of your changes. Less maps? No chance of that happening. “This isn’t LoL” or “we love variety. Different maps give different heroes strengths and weaknesses and the game was already balanced around that”

1 Like

So many threads that suddenly gets necroed in one day. Does that mean Xul soon got an army of necromancers ?

2 Likes

It’s only from July 2019! I’m sure the average skill of the playerbase has dropped even further, but not the skill of the forum necromancers!

2 Likes

Well I play Deathwing and LiLi, so if I don’t get either of those in ARAM I have no idea what I’m doing. So you get matched with a guy that’s basically facerolling on his keyboard. Sorry.