I Can't Believe How Low-Skill the Playerbase Is

Seriously. You can barely even find a decent ARAM these days because the average player skill level is SO. LOW. Is this because all of the players who cared already bailed to other games? If so, what is Blizzard going to do to fix it, or are they just going to let this game bleed a slow death?

4 Likes

ARAM has no MM, if I recall correctly

16 Likes

It’s not even actual aram so I don’t know what you expected.

2 Likes

Like Kryzux said, brawl has no matchmaking. A level 0 new player can be matched with a level 1600 Grand Master (and anything in between).

It’s designed to give you an aram game as soon as possible with no regard to “match quality”, and many people like this mode.

If you want to improve your odds, team up with other people before pressing ready. Creating your own team is always smart in HotS.

5 Likes

You are expecting too much from a mode designed to be RNG.

15 Likes

Blizzard can’t fix human idiocy. As others have pointed out.

3 Likes

Looking for skill in a format like aram omegalul.

8 Likes

well even outside of brawl, the playerbase skill level is lower than people would honestly accept of themselves.

But that also applies to a lot of games largely on the basis that a large (and I’d say growing) percent of players are too distracted these days to think through their decisions, claim themselves good/pro/whatever and not bother to notice the disparity in claim versus reality.

They don’t pay attention in game, default on talent picks, and so long as they have anything else to blame in life, there isn’t much an incentive for them to learn and improve, so the cycle persists.

Its not like its an isolated thing for hots either – I could arguably say its taken 7-10 years for dota’s playerbase to catch on to some ‘basics’ of that game. Granted, some players can be ‘skilled’ but it really can come down to asking “at what?” when scrutinizing certain aspects of one game to another.

If you look at speedrunners and the like, audience can act like its a magical surprise that decade-old games have stuff overlooked on ways a player can be ‘good’ at said game. Hit up old footage of acclaimed sports and marvel at the difference in play from when those games were either ‘new’ or ‘caught on’ and then hit up some other games.

Or just note the big difference in an ‘easy’ mode for a given game, versus later options: people aren’t "good’ at games because it tends to be mindless recreation. Once enough time has passed to give people enough an impression on how to do things ‘right’, then there’s at least something for them to mimic and progress from there.

But otherwise, hots is prob a few years out before a ‘average’ player learns to care more, or just find something else for them to slew in the same shlop.

3 Likes

No, it’s because this game has no tutorial.

So most ppl play it like it was team death match. Then new players join and see what those players do and and do the same thing. And on and on it goes.

3 Likes

Being new to this game or MOBAs can’t be a point of criticism or people will just stop playing altogether and queues will slow to a sludgy halt.
Also, Brawls are not really ARAM, we definitely need a full on ARAM, but I like Brawls too-- I just wish there were things like Aba and Cho’gall, instead of nitpicking who they don’t like as if bad comps will magically stop existing because Hammer left the queue. I’m sorry, but facing two Kael’thas still sucks, and you still need impressive power to push past it in a single lane game, and it’s still very possible to get a comp that can barely, if at all, engage in that with success.

Anyway yeah, don’t bemoan the unskilled players too much. They have to learn somehow, and this isn’t likely to help them. Then again, there are some who don’t seem too interested in learning.

1 Like

ARAM > ALL RANDOM ALL MID (RANDOM) see that word in it? it’s random you get it? it’s just random that’s why. bless RNG

2 Likes

The game have a training mode and ingame tutorial. But no one use it.

The “tutorial” doesn’t teach you anything. Stop Mosh pit, kill heroes. That does nothing to teach you how to play each map. (Plus it’s so well hidden most ppl don’t even know it exists.)

And there is no training mode.

3 Likes

That’s a flawed assumption.

People that want to get better will find ways - even outside the game - to learn more. Those that don’t care will not.

Unless the tutorial brings massive rewards for completion, it will be overlooked. Without incentives, why would anyone look at it? Those that want to git gud will check any resource to improve (regardless of incentive), others will not (again: regardless of incentive).

Bads will be bads.

8 Likes

Well to be blunt, half of the problem is a lack of direction. Not the “you need to do this and that” direction. But the lack of education in developing skills based around self-improvement.

The other issue is social, not the “I know how to talk to people” kind (though that does matter) but the “I surround myself with other players who want to better themselves” kind. Most people actually hate competition, but the people that do enjoy competition and surround themselves with people interested in it will improve.

(This however can lead to a whole other list of social issues concerning matchmaking, gamer classes and feedback loops.)

1 Like

If they’d truly care, they’ll be still here, right?
Also, since you are here… what do you consider youself? Last man standing, or just one of the mentioned low skills? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

People look in-game to know how to play a game. Even people that want to get better often won’t go out of their way to research information that is not contained within the game. Most games teach their players how to play it. HotS does not.

THe current horrible "tutorial awards a starter box for completing it. (Not sure if it gives gold) So we can assume an actual one would reward players.

There is one. You find it below AI mode, then you find a mode called training.

2 Likes

What does it teach you?

And the game provided this bit of information - through the tutorial.

What? The exact opposite is the case.
If you play a zelda game, it tells you how to swing your sword and hold up your shield. If you face a tough enemy, the game does not tell you how to beat it. You only have two options: trial and error or look up online.
Want to optimize your speed run? Check the best strats online.
Want to become GM in Fifa? Check online.

Let’s be real here: Nobody who is extraordinarily good at Fifa, Street Fighter, Smash, Need for Speed, whathaveyou is good because they read or played the in game tutorial. They wanted to get good so they pulled out their resources to achieve that goal.

I could now expand my whole argument to traditional games like chess that don’t even have a tutorial, but that wouldn’t really help the discussion here.

1 Like