I Can't Believe How Low-Skill the Playerbase Is

If you truly believe HotS’s “tutorial” is actually a good learning tool. I don’t think there’s any way we can have a discussion.

T’ill next time.

(Oh, I should however mention that the devs have mentioned in AMA’s that they are looking for a better way to educate their players)

I think we have different ideas what should be taught by a tutorial.
Which buttons to press, what the target to win the game is, etc. That for me is “how to play the game”.
“How to be successful at the game” is not something I demand from a tutorial.

Also, please address my other point(s). At least I am not aware of any games that teach you how to be successful on the highest level.

1 Like

So much this. I would limit it to “basic level” at best.

1. Tutorials teach you basic rules and controls. “Xp is important”, not calculations how much xp minions or hero kills give and at what time.
  2. Dont tell me you never skipped tutorial lol

Even in M you can find people who dont know how exactly xp works. People still dont know how basic mechanics/interactions work. I would rather blame human lazyness and arrogance rather that “the game”. Every game out there got wiki and somehow, people are capable of using them.

2 Likes

Skill and ARAM in the same sentence, lol.

1 Like

If you’re tryharding in brawl, you’re just doing it wrong. Ppl only play it to fool around and have fun, not win by any means necessary. Well, some also do it for the box reward, in which case losing fast is as good as winning fast.

If you want “serious” ARAM games, you’ll have to do custom games.

Some games don’t have a need for a tutorial as much as HotS does (Even when they have one) because they simply are less complex. There are many games where I got really good. But for most of them I didn’t need to put as much time as I did in HotS to reach an acceptable level.

For example, Guilty gear has a training and a combo tutorial (Fighting game) While doing it won’t make me a pro, it does teach me everything I need to know to play the game beyond the basics of attacking and blocking. Most of the combos showed are combos that actually work, and that you can see pro players use. Some of them may be hard for some players, but after going through the actual tutorial, you no longer have any bad habits that your opponents could exploit, because the tutorial tells you why you should do what it shows you.

Furthermore, HotS is a team game. If you only know which buttons to press to use your abilities, and that objectives are important. You are going to drag your team down. Your knowledge, or lack of, does not only affect you. The players who make the effort to learn are still punished by the lack of knowledge of those who don’t.

So it’s very different from a one on one or free for all game.

I will also add that, in most competitive games like fighting games. Within the same genre, the basics are more or less the same. What you learn in King of Fighters for example is mostly transferable to Street fighter. It isn’t the case between HotS and other MoBAs. Even the concept of experience is different.

So player need to be taught that, for example, early game, a kill is worth less than a minion wave. So they’d stop wasting time chasing the lowest value while ignoring the highest.

It doesn’t matter that some people can skip the tutorial. If there isn’t one, no one at all can benefit from it. If you made a cure for cancer, some people would flat out refuse to use it. Does that make it not worth making one?

I have yet to play an ARAM game where most of my team doesn’t want to win. When they think someone is causing them to lose, they get just as salty as anywhere else.

1 Like

Sounds like a fantastic tutorial to me. I play Smash (I know, not the typical fighting game) since its first iteration and they never show anything besides what the buttons do. I consider myself solid in the series, but I wouldn’t be where I am without outside lectures.
Sounds like guilty gear’s tutorial could also use the title “game guide” to me. As I mentioned already, a tutorial in my vocabulary is really nothing more than a “press x to shoot”.
Explaining the “why” is some next level stuff.

Valid point. I am not sure though if the aforementioned “bads” care at all :smiley:

But hey, thanks for coming back to me. I see we got vastly different definitions of tutorials, which is how we arrived where we are.
Maybe I just never played a game with a really good tutorial… Well, Mario Maker 2 has a nice section where they explain the do’s and don’ts, that could be something.

For a long time Nintendo didn’t want to encourage Smash Bros being competitive (Remember the trip mechanic?)

While they embraced it a bit more now, and balanced things so competitive players wouldn’t be flat out ignored. I’m not sure they’re interested in teaching players the ins and out of competitive. I’m pretty sure they just want it to be a party brawler.

I think at this point they basically said “Not our problem”. They just want us to 4 player brawl and leave them alone.

2 Likes

Oh, in case you’d like to actually see it. (It’s harder than it looks)

1 Like

Exactly.

All they have done so far has been too little, too late and hardly had any effect on the ladder.

Not yet, but they will probably not try for much longer.
Too bad the music rocks.

It’s because most of the good people have been banned away on account of a highly abused reporting system. Not everyone is as patient as I am to make new accounts.

Wait why would better players be banned more often than bad ones?

I’m pretty sure horrible players who constantly tilt and AFK get banned.

2 Likes

Level: potatoes everywhere!

Yep. My friendlist was full. Today I barely see anyone playing. And the majority of the people were Diamond+.

This game is over. The devs had their chances over and over again but focused on lootboxes.

1 Like

There is tutorial and it doesnt teach you less than for example Dota’s (not sure about LoL).

Why Dota players dont have problem with it, despite having equally if not more complicated mechanic like items and same tutorial? Well I’ll tell you why:
because its not CaSuAl gAem.

People who think game should be balanced around QM got no right to complain about dumb teammates or tutorials. People need to have WILL to improve themself first and foremost. People WANT to improve themself in LoL and Dota because they are later on rewarded for it, by having great games against great players.
Here people are looking for excuses. Qm CoMpS ArE ImbA. They are not mirrored in drafts either lol. But hey, its casual game, QM is most popular, thats what people want right?

Anyway, keep killing ranked, telling yourself QM is important, lazyness is not to blame and rewarding people with ez masters where you can be complete garbage but still “achieve” something is good.

1 Like

This game has always been low skilled. After all, it’s where all the people who found actual MOBAs too challenging ended up.

2 Likes

Given that almost 50% of my games have an afker, im sure they don’t get banned.

There is not and has never been a reason to be good. You don’t get good and win games, you pray to the RNG gods that the worst player ends up on the other team and he (or she) throws the game for them.

1 Like

You are matched with players of similar skill, so sorry to break it to you my friend but that says more about you then it does your teammates.

2 Likes

Current playerbase lack skills because the previous support team decided to perma ban many good players. Noobs eventually drove them mad and forced proper players to use abusive language and then BOM. All we have right now are few real, good players and many noobs. Maybe a massive unban could be useful but i doubt it. I doubt they will ever return.

2 Likes