How to Rexxar (and misha)

Disclaimer: I am not back but I miss writing guides, no pics because no TL3

Rexxar is played both as a solo laner and a main tank
What makes him great is that he controls 2 body’s.
Misha has a AoE stun and a short respawn timer

The general idea is that Misha takes up the damage for you or your team while you use that space to win the fight

They can also be at 2 places at the same time, so that means 1 is on obj the other one is on the lane (Misha does the dangerous stuff)
You need to learn to play both heroes at once, you get this in time. Might need some time to do it. Don’t overthink it

Known counters

Chen + Thrall + Illidan
Wind up / stack heroes (kind off)

Movement speed

Rexxar:
Mounted: 130%
Unmounted: 100%

Misha:
If rexxar is mounted 130%
Unmounted 115%

• Always make sure Rexxar is protected and not getting damaged, you can use Misha or sacrifice her in order to save a teammate. But save rexxar at all cost
  • Position Misha aggressive where she can stun and position Rexxar where he is always safe, can pick up exp or can poke from a distance
  • Misha’s death timer is 20s
  • If you press D on Rexxar she will follow
  • Strongest burst combo is
    AA (both) W by Misha followed by a Q then AA with both
    (then try to bodyblock with misha)
    *Don’t be afraid to spam E with Misha, the healing takes a long time
  • If you have a main tank who can inciate like Muradin Johanna or Diablo, keep Misha near him, if they stun do an extra stun op top of it as Misha, this really helps lowering or killing enemy’s
  • Don’t facecheck bushes with Rexxar especialy after 13, use Q or Misha to enter it first.

I wont talk about all of all of the talents but I want to show you the mindset behind some of them

Lvl 1"

Bird of Prey: For double soaking
Passive: For merc camps / boss at lvl 7
Flare: Only in high situational moments when you know you will be ganked a lot

Lvl 4

I mostly recommend hunter gatherer if you have plenty of regens to finish it early. This is also done with a split push build or on braxis where you have the regen generator

Hungry bear is great if you are bad at mana managment but also when Misha can do a lot of basic attacks uninterupted (so not that great vs Arthas or a Fenix)

The other 2 are also good but very niche

Lvl 7

I generally like aspect of the beast because you can stun a lot more. If you think you need to dominate the solo lane, this is a really great talent because you can W when the enemy solo laner is trying one of his more aggressive or channeling ability’s

The slow on crippling talons is good when you have trouble with an agile enemy

Taking flight is good when you are stuck in a solo lane vs a target that can poke a lot like Lunara Orphea Falstad but don’t pick it vs Fenix

Lvl 10

Unleash the boars is the better one. Don’t be afraid to use it in the solo lane to secure a kill
Bestial wrath is great when your team didn’t draft any damage
(Always check tap before locking one of these ults)

Lvl 13

Wildfire bear works with waveclear or when Misha gets unnoticed
If you can land of a lot of AA’s and you want to go with burst dire beast
Aspect is good when you are a AA hero

Lvl 16

You getting outdamaged > Primal intimidation
You need to do everything yourself > Thrill of the hunt
Your enemy is good > Feign death

Lvl 20

Just use common knowledge, what are doing over the course of the match and what do you need.
Generally Kill command is the best 20

Feel free to drop feedback questions ect.

9 Likes

Alt+D is the keybind to do this to recall Misha, or have her follow you, for those who may not have known what you meant.

1 Like

Chen can trade fairly well. Illidan has evasion and mobility. I’ve never seen Thrall win vs Rexxar. He takes too much damage to efficiently trade even with green thrall and ancestral wrath. For short term you could win if you go block at 4 but you run out of mana quickly and you would need to hit both Misha and Rexxar to win even in that short term so I really wouldn’t recommend Thrall. Samuro and TLV both win the lane if you got micro for it. Qhira does well with AA build which is weaker for late game so probably not worth outside of maybe Braxis.
Please do not pick stacking heroes vs Rex on solo lane. He utterly decimates them. You lose 60-70% of your health in single trade or are forced out of soak range with them. You stack slower than you would in 4 man and most heroes that collect stacks lack wave clear to top it all. This is the “Butcher counters Murky” -kinda thinking where expectation is enemy doesn’t know how to play their hero.

That is the basic premise. However your hp is still a resource. If you can make a good trade by losing hp then take it. You can get a kill for losing 90% of your hp, take it. You can’t play overly safe as Rexxar and hope to win lane unless enemy has picked really poor solo laner.

Should also mention this gives Misha MS boost.

Be careful about your mana. Make use of hunter gatherer when not in immediate danger. If you run out of mana you lose the lane.

Always take this talent even if you are not dual soaking. It saves you mana, helps clear creeps faster so they can attack enemy hero(+ you get globe instantly) and lets you focus on the enemy hero quicker. This is big part of why Rexxar is one of dominant solo laners. For later game it’s instant wave clear that you can throw on your way to objective or wherever you are going.

Practically always aspect at 13. If you cannot get value from this talent you are not getting value out of your hero either. Level 1 Q already means you cannot need more wave clear. In battles Misha dies too easily if you try to get value out of wildfire. Dire beast is terrible unless you have extremely coordinated blow up comp where that little extra damage makes the difference. Base W only does 150 damage so it’s extra 225 at max stacks over 6 seconds it takes to charge it. The DPS increase it provides is really bad compared to Q.

? You just pick rolling thunder on 1 to outheal Misha’s dmg and Q rexxar every chance you got or you focus all of your attacks on Misha and you beat her without breaking a sweat
If you Q rexxar. You wont win by facetanking misha but you win on attrition
Rolling thunder Thrall is a known counter to Rexxar

Wildfire bear is also great vs stealth creep and such so its not a must pick, while it is the better one
Some masters say Q build is the best build but I dont get it (so agree with you on this one)

1 Like

I played an SL match this week with Harbinger where he drafted Thrall into Rexxar on Braxis. He did win top lane, without requiring a gank rotation. I can post a clip or replay if it helps.

Well, I’ve never seen it in master at least in real 1 vs 1. If it’s a high level ranked game by all means post it, I would love to see it. Statistically in high level play it’s worst solo lane match up for Thrall with Rexxar being over 60% favored:

https://postimg.cc/svrWcfGL

You’d think on CCL where money is on the line they would’ve picked Thrall vs Rexxar if he is known counter. Rexxars team didn’t ban Thrall even once in those games either.

Rexxar has wave clear superiority that forces thrall to constantly back off and he wins 2 vs 1 long term. To lose it Rex would have to:

• not wave clear(or Thrall to constantly miss soak)
  • passively forget his bear as punching bag(or otherwise AFK like go for camp)
  • go for short skirmishes in favor of Thrall who would Q,E,W, walk out and Q.
    All of which are misplays by Rexxar if he does. If one of these things did happen he is not a good Rexxar player. Did any of these things happen in your game?

Then why do I see it in master?

Because on the good maps rexxar is banned

This particular match was Plat on NA, but I know Harbinger plays Diamond/Master on EU. I don’t really know how well the Rexxar was playing, as I was tanking the 4 man, and really only paid attention to the top lane via the mini-map in case I needed to send someone up to help Thrall. I will see if I can dig up the replay to post here.

I see him against masters and we are usually winning even if im not myself playing thrall
Just on dragon shire rexxar has the upper hand

Edit:
I upped the player level, there is a huge diffirence, rexxar still wins but 52% I call a even matchup, EU+NA region is 51%
https://gyazo.com/aa894d469cc8e01f90d9ea2a8905ee8e

1 Like

It would appear in master+diamond (last 15 patches), statistically Thrall’s biggest threat by win rate is Rexxar (he loses 57% of the time vs Rex).

Curiously, the only hero at high MMR who has a positive win rate against him is Deathwing. Cho’gall is a close second.

I have never picked DW as a solo laner so I don’t understand why it happens, but I assume Misha has a hard time driving him off the control point on some maps like Braxxis. The same might apply to Cho’Gall.

I still do think Rolling Thunder or Crash Lightning are nice to have vs him, especially the latter if he is positioned in a way to allow him to constantly get a stack off a bounce from Misha to Rexxar.

1 Like

Remove rank 1-10 something you can expect most diamond masters are

It rises slightly to 58,25% by removing lv1 to 10 players on those heroes. So in general (over large samples) it’d appear Rexxar is somewhat of a threat to him.

Chen is in the upper 5th of good counters against Rexxar though.

Edit- curiously, the worst hero against Rexxar at top MMR seems to be Sgt. Hammer, with the filters above she wins only 32.97% of the time vs Rexxar.

Vikings are a pretty decent pick vs Rexxar too, but it takes a lot of micro to outplay a Rexxar to get control of the dragon shrine, braxis beacon and so on. It’s not exactly easy.

As for the stats above with fat heroes winning against him a decent amount, I do usually struggle a bit against a Cho. If they are determined to channel the objective (if it is channeled by sitting there), I probably can’t drive them away.

Gall can also pepper Rexxar with damage from quite a distance, and after 10 he can pull Rexxar with the heroic and bypass Misha.

Deathwing might also be hard to drive off, but I have scant memories of that matchup too in solo lane.

The upside is, I solo with Rexxar about half the time on two lane maps and the times an enemy has picked Cho’gall is probably one in 50 or less, so I don’t get headache from that.

If there’s one talent I really don’t like in Rexxar’s kit it’s Animal Husbandry. I am glad you did not include it in your suggested talents. A single death will set you back so much later game you basically have no talent on that tier. And keeping that bonus can make the player very passive.

For those who do not play Rexxar, it increases the maximum HP by 2 every second Rexxar stays alive after level 4.

Ive read a guide and people are arguing about filters they used in a 3rd party site without context.
Classic hots

It’s pretty obvious from the stats no matter how you look at them that Thrall doesn’t counter Rexxar over thousands of matches even in higher-up games, it’s the opposite. Thrall’s win rate against him is horrible.

Doesn’t mean he’s necessarily bad against Rexxar though. But as someone who plays ~20% of his games as Rexxar (not in very high games, high platinum to low diamond) I can’t say he was ever a threat.

No comment on Illidan as I pretty much never see him, Chen is pretty decent against Rexxar (though Misha can also interrupt drinking).

1 Like

Make TLV guide, I feel bad playing them.

https://gyazo.com/dc0415ac0b1db7261fa57a2233b5569b
Yeah but the meta is everchanging , brightwing also got a lot of attention a few months ago she before never had. So to pick the latest couple of patches it shows that people are doing well with thrall vs rexxar

I don’t know the full stats, but I think Murky is pretty bad against Rexxar (in my experience). So if an enemy ever picks him as solo laner, Rexxar can be a good pick against him.