HOTS may be getting shut down due to FTC

It’s not even just games anymore…the toy industries are doing it (Loot Boxes) too. Hopefully OW is next on the list… at least Hots started out without any Lootboxes

So you’re going to tell me that the reason why dog fighting is illegal is because of crime and not animal cruelty?

Are you being serious right now?

Animal cruelty kinda applies to the hideous crimes stuff you know…

1 Like

Animal cruelty is the crime, not gambling.

That’s the point.

Why is it a crime in the first place? Because we as a society determined that treating animals in a cruel manner was inhumane so we legislated against it.

Laws are created because of a moral implication, not because it was already considered a crime or is associated with crimes. Before it actually became a crime to host dog fights, it wasn’t associated with crime.

A criminal act becomes a criminal act when it becomes legislatively criminal and it becomes legislatively criminal after someone decides it is.

But targeting a sector over something that is not a crime cant be done unless you manage to link it to a crime

Wich is the whole point in the first place… you wanna ban loot boxes? Have to either make gambling a crime and target everything related or else you dont have any legal ground to make it happen

1 Like

Aint this game second best when we compare monetization. I know smite has HORRID lootbox practice and DotA is the king since its only cosmetics.

That leaves only LoL to compete. I know i can get all skins in HotS except first ones(these are usually bad) only by playing.I can get those as well from 150 cristals every 25 lvls.Since i dont play LoL i aint sure if it can be done as well.

Can i get KDA akali skin in lol only by playing. I know i can get janitor leoric.

I honestly find the way LB are implemented in this game as a shining example of LB system.You can even rerol em quite a lot. These other games dont have that.

HotS gives you the most things if you play. Just got leg JK skin a few days ago and i have over 80% of leg skins with 0$ invested.DotA only wins since i believe having all heroes free is quite nice for those who start a game.

If this game is predatory then aint all MOBAS going to burn when this ban goes thru.

People trying to create drama out of nothing. HotS will NOT shut down even if they remove loot boxes, who buys loot boxes anyway, most people get an abundance of them for free by playing the game.

What a stupid, clickbait-y title.

I don’t know why this stuff is being related to Heroes of the Storm when it was Overwatch just opened the floodgates for all companies to try and get in on them.

4 Likes

No, that’s not how things work.

It is illegal to discriminate against certain people during phone calls or in any way hinder telephone traffic based on who is talking to one another.

Was it legislated because it was connected to a crime? No, it was decided it was immoral for a public utility to discriminate network traffic.

In Connecticut, it’s illegal to walk across the street on your hands? Are you telling me there were crimes committed while walking across the street on your hands?

Laws are not created because they link to an existing crime, not now, not ever.

I think loot boxes are a problem if they actually give an edge to the player (as in pay-to-win).

Fortunately we don’t have that in HOTS, otherwise I would’ve stopped playing ages ago

1 Like

No, you CANNOT make a law that targets one sector and leaves the other free when it also profits on the same page

I mean… you CAN, but its 100% garanteed that said sector will come and make a claim that such a law segregates one sector of the society in favor of the other, wich is kinda bad in places outside africa. You cant make something a crime only if a particular sector is doing it, wether is a sector of a industry or a part of the population with a tone of skin. You want to make something a crime, you either make it a crime for everyone or its not a crime for anyone, theres really no middle ground on this

2 Likes

HOTS makes most of its money via gems.

/thread

It does? I thought it made most of its money selling bundles and stim packs which will not be investigated at all and will not be affected by on going investigations because there is no element of randomness involved at all and even have discount mechanics if part of the bundle is already owned…

Buying loot boxes with gems might be blocked in future, like it already is in some countries. The response will be to create new bundles and more cosmetics to offset the loss in loot box sales. These new bundles might offer seldom brought content in bulk far cheaper than currently available to make money via volume.

1 Like

What are you even talking about?

If it was a crime it would affect the entire industry, nobody would be able to sell loot boxes in video games they create.

It’s not “singling out a sector.”

This argument you’re making is literal nonsense.

Honestly, we have no real idea WHERE HotS makes its money. This is all just speculation.

I think the “Singling Out” that he is talking about is how are loot boxes different that TCG packs? and yet there is no one talking about making laws against the TCG industry.

1 Like

TCG packs hold real world value, and are physical contents. They are all simply just paper regardless of the intrinsic value placed on them because they’re paper.

CCG’s such as Hearthstone, however, would also be subject to the same legislation. CCG card packs are pretty much loot boxes and should be regulated in the same way.

Physical TCG cards are not even remotely the same as loot boxes, you always get something of value that you can even trade away.

Except TCG do still have rarities involved, which leads to the same “Gambling Addiction” issues.

For instance, back in the day I used to play the Lord of the Rings TCG, and I would buy a case of cards just on the hope of getting the 1 Ultra-Rare card per case that you got on average… And Yes, there were times I would get 2 of those Ultra Rare cards in one case and there were times I would get 0 URs.

1 Like

Your logic falls apart because if you go that route, you are trying to make “illegal to gamble but just if its a digital media”, its a hell of a long shot considering neither gambling or making purchases of digital goods are crimes, and trying to make it so only in a particular situation when they are put toguether and only in context of entertaimnent is a hell of a strawman type of law, good luck making this one float when a senate start voting it

At some point you will have to… you know… explain why its okay to make such an exceptional chase and if your argument if that on physical goods, you always get something, youll be shot down if someone simply points that digital goods also always have value(even if have to come at the expense of you selling your account) because value is also a virtual property that is not related to wether the thing exist physically or not(damn, technology is among the highest value goods on the world and it’s a completely abstract concept: it dont even have a fixed way to be representated on a paper)

And also completely misses the point of the law: The whole argument behind making gamble illegal is based around the self-sustaining cycle it creates in vulnerable individuals, if thats your point, youll need to justify why its okay to make it specific to digital media and so far you have nothing: Value because its physical? Nonsense, value and physical existence are not related, AND more importantly: value is not even related to the original point!!! Gaming-related gamble adition is almost never related to stacking value: its much more about hoarding and completionist purposes, so even if value and physical existence WERE related, its still not relevant to the question

1 Like

For the exact reason it’s being related to overwatch. The parent company is blizzard.