HoTS Launches in an Undisplayable, Unchangeable Resolution

Heroes of the Storm launches in a resolution that my monitor can not display, leaving me unable to play the game and also unable to change the resolution of the game to one that my monitor could display. It is only Heroes of the Storm that has this problem. How can I change the resolution outside of the game?

As a side question, I attempted to go through support but it seems they have completely removed the ability to send in tickets or contact them in any shape or fashion. Is this something that they did and I just didn’t hear about it or is there a way to do that still? Wherever I looked through both Blizzard’s support pages and “Contact Us” page, it never prompted or otherwise showed an option to send in a ticket or ask for help anywhere other than posting on this forum.

What OS? Since this should not be possible in Windows 10 and 11. Windows 10 and 11 use fullscreen optimisation which should output at your desktop resolution, even if “fullscreen” is selected. This is why modern games like Diablo IV only support borderless windowed display mode, with DX12 having no support for exclusive full screen. DX11 and older games that support exclusive fullscreen run those modes as borderless windowed via the fullscreen optimisation compatibility layer.

If you are using Windows 10 and 11 then are you sure it is not your graphic driver or graphic card crashing? The black screen with unsupported resolution might be because it is failing catastrophically so cannot output an image.

If you are using Windows 7, then consider updating to Windows 10.

If you are using Linux and a compatibility layer to play HotS, then this must be a bug with the compatibility layer. It must not implement an equivalent of fullscreen optimisation and must be reporting to HotS an unsupported resolution.

A work around for Windows 7 or Linux should be to manually set the resolution, refresh rate or display mode by modifying the Variables.txt file in Documents\Heroes of the Storm\ to one that is supported by your display. The fields to modify would be refreshrate=..., height=..., and width=... where ... is replaced with appropriate values for your display.