Heroes is unplayable on my rtx 2080 ti system and I've tried everything

My system has 32g of ram, a 7900x 10core cpu, and a 2080 ti ftw3, my monitor is an asus rog gsync 2k at 144hz, and for some reason heroes is unplayable for me.

Whenever I start up a game my frames go to nothing basically, were talking 30fps at best.

I’ve tried reinstalling the game on different drives, I tried reinstalling my display driver, I’ve tried changing every setting in both the nvidia control panel and the ingame options, even bought a new monitor with the same specs. Nothing I do changes how the game performs. Is heroes just unplayable on a 2080 ti or what is going on??? Before I bought this new monitor my old one was an acer, but had the same specs 2k at 144hz gsync. For some reason that monitor violently flickers in all heroes loading screens for me and has the horrible frame rate. The new monitor doesn’t flicker but still performs horribly with the 30fps at max.

I might add that I installed heroes on the computer next to me that has a gtx 1080 in it and heroes worked perfect, so it really leads me to believe there is some problem related to my card. All other games perform perfect on my system though so my card isn’t damaged. It’s something involving heroes and the rtx platform.

HELP ME PLEASE IM OUT OF OPTIONS :sob:

1 Like

Hey there,

Heroes of the Storm is compatible with RTX cards, but it sounds like there is a driver issue or something else going on here.

I’d recommend to try wiping the drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and then reinstall the latest drivers again. That will clear up any driver corruption or configuration issues with the drivers themselves.

Here’s a few other things that you can try as well:

• Reset the game settings through the Battle.net app
  • Use a wired connection
  • Try rebooting using Selective Startup to determine if another program is conflicting with the game

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

If you’re still having FPS issues please post your DXDIAG so we can take a look.

DxDiag:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  5. Paste the DxDiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “code” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.

If you are unable to post this, please feel free to use pastebin.com and share the link with us instead.

(provide the code from the pastebin link - the bold portion of this example: https://pastebin.com/ Qk28Ed1P)

If the above display driver reinstall does not help, here are some potential ideas.

You mentioned nothing about your power supply. Assuming all that is running at stock, your system will need at least a 600 W power supply. However 800 W is more reasonable for margins given the cost of the GPU. If any part of it is OCed you would want an 800 W to 1,000 W power supply. The power supply ratting is for a brand new unit under continuous load when at room temperature. Actual ratting in an installed system will be some large fraction of that which will degrade with higher ambient temperature and over time.

I would recommend running benchmarks such as cinebench for CPU. These can be used to validate that your CPU is performing within some error margin of its intended performance (the stock performance others have with it). If either CPU or GPU fall significantly below that then there must be something wrong with its operation.

If any part of the system is overclocked, try reverting back to stock settings. There is a type of overclock stability problem that manifests as degraded performance rather than system instability. This is especially the case for GPU and CPU memory overclocks. This is why one has to verify if an overclock actually increased performance.

@Jambrix with CS
I tried all your fixes and none of them solved my problem :frowning:
here is the pastebin you asked for: Z4mbuPgw

@DrSuperGood
I have a corsair HX1000i with more than enough power for my system. I did mention in my post that I have no problems with any other games, so it’s definitely not a power delivery problem. Plus, you really think I would build a system with those specs and then use a 600w power supply? :rofl:
I ran benchmarks on my cpu and all is fine there, and I already tried reverting both my cpu and video card to stock settings.

Have you tried running Heroes of the Storm in Fullscreen mode rather than Windowed (Fullscreen)? The desktop composition system can limit frame rate. Also various overlays like GeForce experience, steam, discord, and the like can also cause frame rate limits.

@DrSuperGood
Yes I’m aware of the difference between Fullscreen and Windowed(Fullscreen). I only tried Windowed(Fullscreen) to see if it was any better and it’s not changing my problem.

Hey again,

Thanks for posting the link to the DXDIAG for us. :slight_smile:

There’s a few LiveKernelEvent code 141s showing up in the Windows error logs, which may indicate GPU issues. But it’s not clear if that’s the cause for this specific Heroes issue.

Do you happen to use Geforce Experience at all? If you do, try optimizing Heroes of the Storm through the Geforce Experience app and see if that makes a difference.

I would also recommend to try disabling the Geforce Experience overlay and if you are using any other overlays make sure you try disabling those.

Lastly, try setting the Windows power settings to High Performance:

Configuring Power Management Settings

Test the game again and let us know how it goes!

I do use the Geforce experience. I tried both optimizing, which didn’t help my problem and set the settings horribly wrong for my pc, and disabling the geforce overlay.
I also already had my windows power settings on ultra performance.

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions helped me either. :disappointed_relieved:

Hey, @DrSuperGood your profile picture is cool.

A really drastic test would be to try running a clean Windows 10 install just for HotS to see if a bare minimum of OS + Drivers + HotS causes the same issues. This would rule out the cause being software related.

If you have a spare mechanical drive lying around that could be used to hold a temporary Windows 10 install. It may also be possible to install to an existing drive by shoving some partitions around to make space. The Windows 10 does not even need to be activated, since you are only going to test if the same issue is present or not.

After the test is done the temporary OS can be deleted and the space used reclaimed for other purposes. If the issue is still present then there must be some compatibility issue either between hardware or with HotS using some piece of your hardware. If the issue was not present then some driver or other piece of software must be conflicting with HotS.

Heya Spacemonkey.

Would it be possible to unplug the monitors, and test them each individually? For example testing the game with only the ROG PG279Q (59.9Hz) plugged in, or XB270HU A (144Hz). This will help determine if the problem is related to how the game / computer is interfacing with the monitor itself.

Another thing to try is playing in Window mode instead of either version of Full Screen. This can help verify if the problem is related to scaling.

Let us know if this works for you.

@DrSuperGood
That’s definitely a good idea, it would be a lot of work for sure. I’m going to have to back some things up before I try something that drastic.

@Kaldraydis
I tried unplugging the individual monitors and it got me no change. When i first went about trying to fix this problem I only had the acer monitor. Part of the reason I bought the new ROG monitor was to see if it would fix my problem because I speculated that it was related to the gsync in the old one.
No luck fixing this yet again. I plan on getting a new mb processor combo in the near future and maybe that will make a difference.

Hey again Spacemonkey,

Could you grab a hardware monitor from online, and run it while playing the game for about 15 minutes or longer? After that please leave the game open and screenshot the different values contained within the test tool. Make sure to not collapse any nodes as they each contain vital information.

This will help us determine any sort of heating issue, or potential resource bottle-neck.

Thanks!

Just wanted to get back to you guys and give you an update. I upgraded my motherboard to a rog maximus xi and processor to a 9900ks after black friday. Once I got windows installed and loaded up heroes it runs perfect.
So whatever my problem was it was related to my last motherboard or/and processor. Not really sure why it played all other games just fine but not heroes of the storm, but it will forever be a mystery I spose. Thanks for all the help anyway.

1 Like