Heroes is In a Sad State

Remember at the end of 2019 when Blizzard released a year in review where it talked about how we had 4 new heroes for the whole year? That was sad.
You know how many heroes we have had this year? 1. Yeah this game is in a good state right now. :rofl:

1 Like

What more could you expect from a skeleton crew? The balance patches, despite being roughly monthly now, are much higher quality now as opposed to before HotS developer team got decimated.

How about you become a developer for them and try to pump out more content.

15 Likes

yeah well. ur mom is a poopy head. so there :expressionless:

1 Like

This. Compared to a pure maintenance mode game like Diablo 2 (which only gets the bare necessities and hotfixes), HotS is still alive and kicking.

1 new hero per year, balance patches, new skins, is very good for a game no longer their financial priority.

6 Likes

You got upvoted but the forum fails to realize blizzard doesn’t hire volunteer recruits who have no coding experience. I already suggested the “no experience volunteer” route but no bites

In seriousness, this game could use more attention from Blizzard.

You don’t need to know how to code to be a designer. In fact, a lot of the designers you see around Blizzard don’t actually write a line of code. They’re given utilities and something like an editor so to speak.

Art isn’t going to be what holds a hero back in development, it’s usually the iterative design process. Testing the hero, tuning their numbers, that sort of thing.

I don’t care if my posts get upvoted or not, it’s just a matter of fact for speaking truth over feelings.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any better, we are getting at least one more hero this year. Fingers crossed for Yogg-Saron.

4 Likes

Most of the time spent on a hero is the coding

Uhhh, no it isn’t.

Most of the time spent developing a giant piece of software is spent on testing. I guarantee you a majority of a hero’s development time is spent on playtesting and number tuning.

You very clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Even in the game im working on right now only 20% of my time has been spent writing code while the other 80% is spent on design and testing.

I can easily pump out 1000 lines of code in 30 minutes, whether that code does what I want is another story.

2 Likes

When I made a thread on how to get heroes out faster, the forum (yes, not me) responded similarly to what you wrote except the coding was the time sink, not the time from needing to test the changes. Development shouldn’t have slowed in your case if testing was the time sink because players could simply volunteer and test

Well. The dev team is a skeleton crew now. Be grateful that the game still receives updates and also the fact that it isn’t removed from Battle net.

Do they even hire more people after the downsizing? Oh wait. They still hire Senior Technical Artists. But I don’t think it gives a drastic development speed to the game.

3 Likes

When corona wasn’t a thing.

1 Like

When corona wasn’t a thing.

I was hoping corona would be a magic bullet to bring in millions of new players since people have to stay inside.

But so far it didn’t happen.

1 Like

Here’s an idea: instead of all these generalized attributions you keep making from one topic to the next, how about you actually cite who ‘said’ something. Because one or two people aren’t “the forum” and relying on overgeneralized statements can lead to false recollection.

The “forums” is not some conglomerate mass that allows things or knows everything that you keep trying to say in these overgeneralized fault-sessions that could very well be you either misattributing something, or stating something you already think, but want to blame the forum instead, because a few voices didn’t agree with you.

I suspect that the “volunteer coders” topic is the same source of your “the forum said coding” which if that is the case, the “forum” did not express that and you’re caught up on false attribution. However, I don’t remember every single post you make or every single topic you go off on (some of which don’t even get replies, so don’t “the forum” on those, please) so maybe you made a magical topic that didn’t catch my eye and one or two people were particular on ‘coding’.

There has been a stint of some forumer posters having an incorrect notion of how much ‘coding’ is involved in the process, but in a topic trying to address those concerns, a blue outside corrected the notion.

once ‘correct’ information has been given, it doesn’t matter what a faceless collective of internet avatars ‘said’ on the topic. I am under the impression that you were already thinking that more coding = more heroes because you have several topics and snide posts trying to convey that; I don’t recall a source to that idea, and I don’t really care.

A number of posters that are in ‘the know’ or work in similar capacities have stated the iteration process is the big bottleneck; if other people have said otherwise, well that’s the trouble of trying to lump every faceless voice into a sole entity and calling it “the forum”

I would say some of the same thing on the topics that complain about “the forum” having one reaction one day, and a different reaction another; many of those instances are of different people and not an “npc” collective that tends to be assumed on meta-forum topics.

2 Likes

The game is currently the best it’s ever been and incredibly fun (outside of the abysmal ranked meta game experience). You couldn’t ask more from a entirely free game. I’ll be playing for as long as they keep the servers going.

Sadly that is still a real possibility. I really hope that never happens though.

Hiring more people can actually slow development as well. As these new employees will need to be trained by a senior staffer.

At this point I feel the HOTS team should stay with the staff size they currently have. Unless they receive more funding.

1 Like

That is a massive misstep in logic…

You are completely wrong, and I guarantee you that most of the designers don’t write any code for a new hero. Unless that hero is doing something novel that nobody on the roster does such as Junkrat’s grenade wall bounce, or Lucio’s wallride, existing logic is used in a modular fashion like legos to build new spells.

For example, let’s say you’re using an engine like Unity. You can create a bunch of small C# scripts with only one function such as moving forward, pulling in other objects, stunning heroes, healing them, damaging them, et cetera.

I can then just create a new object in my game, attach a script to move it forward, attach a script to have it grow larger, then attach a script to have it pull in other objects. Boom, I’ve now created Tassadar’s new ult that has all of that preexisting functionality.

Blizzard’s process is VERY similar. The system designers create these utilities and code snippets that the designers use like legos to build new content. If you have to create a special custom lego piece, then you involve system designers, but then that lego piece is available for future designs.

Think of it exactly like legos. You have a specific set of bricks to build from, but the designers find fun and creative ways to fit them together.

“When has HotS NOT been in a sad state?” is a better question.