Hero response delay

For the past 2 days my game has been “lagging” in a strange way that I haven’t experienced before. First off I logged in to play with my friend, and the game took a lot longer to initialize everything than usual, meaning the game modes, character selection, ranked data, etc. so that might somehow be connected, but the bigger issue is that the character I play in a match has a delay in it’s actions. It takes them about half a second to do a command they’ve been given, from move commands to abilities, but everything else works as normal, so I don’t think this is just lag, because I usually get lag and my ping is higher than normal, and I’ve never seen this before. If anyone has any advice it would be very appreciated.

Hey there,

This actually sounds like some minor packet loss is happening. Since Heroes of the Storm relies heavily on network performance, if packets are being delayed or dropped it can make hero abilities delay like you’re describing.

If it’s still happening I’d try running a WinMTR and check that out.

1. Download WinMTR
  2. Right-click on the downloaded .zip folder and select “Extract All”, to extract the files to a new folder.
  3. Open the new WinMTR-v092 folder that was created, then open the WinMTR_x32 folder.
  4. Right-click on the WinMTR application and select “Run as administrator”.
  5. Launch the game and join a match. Once you’re loaded into the match press Ctrl+Alt+F to bring up the performance stats in the upper-left corner and note the server you are connected to.
  6. Quickly Alt+Tab out of the game and type the server IP address in the “Host” field.
    Central - 24.105.62.129
    West - 24.105.30.129
    Australia - 103.4.114.233
    Singapore - 202.9.67.59
    Brazil - 54.207.104.145
  7. Click “Start” to begin the test then Alt+Tab back into the game. Allow the test to run for the full duration of the match, then click on “Stop” when you’re done playing.
  8. Click on “Export TEXT” to save the results as a text document, then post the results.

I downloaded WinMTR and started it up as per your instructions, but as soon as I did the issue disappeared without a trace, everything is working fine now (I should’ve probably pointed out that I’m on EU servers, not sure if it makes a big difference). Thank you for the help, I’ll return here if the problem reappears in the future.