Hero Concept: Karax Protoss Phase Smith

Hello :wave:! I’m kind of new to Hero Concepting, but I don’t plan on taking it to seriously. I’m just a fan of HoTs and I think it would be fun to try my hand at making some character concepts. With that out of the way here is my concept for Karax.
Also I don’t really keep up with the forums so I’m certain that Karax has been done a lot, and if some of my ideas are similar to others I apologies.

Karax is a support character who aids His allies and helps push lanes with his semi-global range and ability to repair his structures and shield his allies.

Role: Support
Universe: Starcraft

Passive (D): Chrono Accelerator
Karax can target an allied structure, minion, mercenary or Hero. If the target is a structure, they gain an additional 10% damage buff and attack 10% faster. If a minion, mercenary or Hero is targeted, they will move 10% faster and attack 10% faster. Chrono Accelerator cannot target boss mercenaries, summons from other hero’s (like Azmodan’s demon warriors or Nazeebo’s gargantuan) or objective rewards like Dragon Knight, Garden Terrors etc. If Karax dies the effect of Chrono Accelerator ends, but upon reviving He may use it again after a short cooldown.

Additionally, Karax does not use mana. Instead He uses energy which recovers at a moderate pace over time but is capped at 100.

First Ability (Q): Orbital Bombardment
In a large radius, Karax may call down an orbital bombardment from the Spear of Adun. Upon activating the ability Karax gains 5 charges that He may use to target a location to deal a low amount of damage after a .25 second delay. Enemy hero hit by Orbital Bombardment take reduced damage after they are hit by the first one. After 8 seconds, the ability will go on cooldown for a few seconds and all unused charges are lost.

Second Ability (W): Repair Beam
Karax targets an allied Structure, Minion, Mercenary or Hero who is nearby. If the target is a structure, then Repair beam will slowly restore the structures health. If a minion, Mercenary or Hero is targeted, they will slowly receive a shield that caps at 10% of the targets Health. While casting repair beam, Karax is free to move around and cast other abilities but His energy will begin draining (similar to Lt. Morals). If Karax’s energy is reduced to 0, He changes the target of repair beam, moves to far away from the target or is killed, the Shields will quickly fall off. Karax cannot use Repair Beam on Himself.

Third Ability (E): Shield Battery
In a fairly large radius, Karax warps in a shield battery. After a 3 second delay the Shield Battery will appear. The Shield battery will remain for 20 seconds. The Shield battery also has 100 energy and will cast repair beam on nearby friendly units that repair beam can target. If the Shield Battery runs out of Energy it will wait till it has at least 10 energy before it continues. It will prioritize unites with the lowest current HP and Heroes, but Karax can activate the ability again while it is active to manual change what the Shield Battery targets. The Shielding from Shield battery will not stack with shields that Karax is applying to allies with His own repair beam.

Heroic 1 {R}: Khaydarin Monolith
Karax warps in a Khaydarin Monolith near Him. It will attack in a large area and do a fairly moderate amount of damage but attacks quite slowly and can only target one unit at a time. Khaydarin Monolith is effected by repair beam as if it was a structure. The Khaydarin monolith lasts for 20 seconds.

Heroic 2 {R}: Unity Barrier
After a 3 second channel, Karax will give all allied Hero’s a shield equal to 20% of their total HP. While shielded with Unity Barrier, all effected allies gain 10 armor and spell armor. The shield lasts for 8 seconds and then will slowly drop off. This ability has an extremely long cooldown.

Talents

Level 1

Summary

Solar Flames (Q): After an orbital bombardment touches down, it will leave an area of fire in its location. Enemies in Flame take a small amount of damage over time.

Chrono Overload (D): The longer Chrono Accelerator is applied to an allied Hero the stronger its effects become. For each second the bonus’ of Chrono Accelerator increase by 1% up to a max of 10%.

Chrono Field (D): Quest: Have Chrono Accelerator applied to allied Heroes for a total of 600 seconds. (Additional Chrono Accelerators do not add to the time needed to finish the quest)
Reward: After 300 seconds Chrono Accelerator can be applied to 2 targets.
Reward: After 600 seconds Chrono Accelerator can be applied to 3 targets.

Level 4

Summary

Power Optimization (Q): Karax gains 2 additional charges of Orbital Bombardment per cast.

Chrono Beam (W/E) (Active): Karax can activate this talent to enhance all active repair beams. For 5 seconds all allied Heroes targeted by Repair Beam have 10% increased movement speed and 10% increased attack speed. This effect can stack with Chrono Accelerator. This talent has a 1 minuet cooldown.

Purifier Protocol; Sentry (Passive): Karax alters the Core to begin producing purifiers instead of normal minions. Upon taking this talent, all future Mage Minions will spawn as Sentries instead. Sentries do not attack but will instead fire off a shield granting beam to other minions in the wave. They cannot target Hero and will only focus on allied minions. The max shielding a Sentry can give to a minion is 10% of the minions HP. Additionally Sentries will reveal hidden enemies in a small radius around itself. Sentries are in all other ways the same as Mage Minions.

Level 7

Summary

Phase Detonation (Q): The first orbital bombardment that Hits an enemy target stuns the target for half a second. All others after that slow the target by 10% for 3 seconds.

Orbital Assimilation (Q): It no longer costs any energy to cast Orbital Bombardment. Additionally if an orbital bombardment hits an enemy minion Karax will restore 1 Energy. if it hits an enemy Hero it will restore 5 energy.

Improved Schematics (E): The repair beam from the Shield battery lasts 10 seconds longer and can be placed in a 20% wider radius.

Purifier Protocol; Sentinel (Passive) Karax alters the core so that it will begin producing Purifiers instead of normal minions. Upon taking this talent, all future melee minions will spawn as Sentinels. Sentinels will charge to the first hostile creature within range and then attack as normal. Upon dying, the Sentinels will instead be reduced to 0 HP for a 5 seconds and then return to life with full health. this effect can only occur one time. Sentinels are in all other ways normal melee minions.

Level 10

See heroics

Level 13

Summary

Restorative Beam (W/E): Repair beam will heal allied Hero 1.5% of their maximum HP every second Repair Beam is on them and additionally increases the targets passive Health regeneration by 15 while repair beam is on them.

Aggression Beam (W/E): Repair beam increases the basic attack damage of an allied Hero that is targeted by it by 15%.

Guardian Beam (W/E): Repair beam gives 15 Armor to allied Heroes targeted by it.

Efficiency Beam (W/E): Repair beam’s max shielding is increased to 20%. The rate at which shields are applied is increased and reduces the energy cost of Repair Beam by 15%.

Purifier Protocol; Adept (Passive): Karax alters the core so that it will begin producing Purifiers instead of normal minions. Upon taking this talent, all future ranged minions will spawn as Adepts. Adepts attack 25% faster than normal ranged minions. If Adepts have no other minion units nearby (Melee, Mages, or Catapults) they will use Psionic Transfer and travel to the minion wave directly behind them. Adepts are in all other ways identical to normal ranged minions.

Level 16

Summary

Master Mechanist (Q): Karax can call down a free orbital bombardment every 2 seconds while the ability is on cooldown. These Orbital bombardments are each considered their own and thus the damage reduction done to enemy Heroes is ignored for these.

Khalai Ingenuity (E): Shield Batteries now warp in instantly. Karax gains an additional charge of Shield Battery. Shield Batteries restore energy 50% faster.

Chrono Boost (D): Chrono Accelerator makes allied Heroes abilities come off cooldown 15% faster.

Purifier Protocol; Immortal (Passive): Karax alters the core so that it will begin producing Purifiers instead of normal minions. Upon taking this talent, all future Catapult minions will spawn as Immortals. When damaged, Immortals will gain immunity to damage for 1 second. This effect cannot trigger again until after 7 seconds.

Level 20

Summary

Khaydarin Proficiency {R}: Karax gains an additional charge of Khaydarin Monolith. For every second either Karax or a shield battery applies a shield to an allied Hero, reduce the cooldown of Khaydarin Monolith by a few seconds.

Architect of War {R}: Unity Barrier now applies to all allied units and it’s total shielding is increased to 35% of the targets maximum HP. However it lasts now only for 4 seconds. The exceptions to what is shielded are the same as the exceptions to Chrono Accelerator.

Purifier Protocol; Ultimate Optimization (Passive): This talent is unavailable to Karax unless He has at least one of His Purifier Protocol talents. Each of the Purifier Units gains an additional effect.

Sentry: Can cast guardian shield every 10 seconds. Guardian shield reduces the damage of all minion units within by 15%.
Sentinel: The Sentinel’s charge ability now stuns enemy minions hit by it for 1 second.
Adept: The Adept’s attack speed bonus in increased to 50%.
Immortal: Can cast Shadow Cannon every 30 seconds. Shadow Cannon deals a large amount of damage to structures and non-heroic units in an area for a few seconds.

I kept a lot of the exact details vague because I’m not the best at balance. Take what I say with a pinch of salt and I hope you thought my little Hero Concept was alright. Thanks for checking it out :heart:

1 Like

Hello, I like this concept, but I think the numbers are defined in Trait (Chorno) need some buff, 10% to 15% is good.

I think dealing 60 damage per orbital is okay. And a additional function like 20% or 15% slow movement make the ability more effective (beside of damage reduction).

So you can almost use this ability in E, I suggest to extend the function of W to being more effective and different from E, for example Karax can cast Repair Beam on himself, but he cannot cast the ability E on himself. (In this way, there is some difference between the main beam and the Shiled Battery-generated beam).

Aoe damage plus slow movement is promising.

You define the shield function in the basic abilities properly, i don’t think that defining a new one mechanism being perfect, although it will make a strong composition of shield boost.

I think this will be better:
After 2 seconds delay, Karax heal his nearby allies by 20% of their max health over 5 seconds, Also the ally has effeted by Reaper Beam or Shield Battery gains 20 armor (75 seconds cool down)

HEY, I’ve seen this one, it’s a classic!
Seriously tho, I guess it’s the one ability used in Karax’s concepts a lot.

I wish Karax have hero interactions with Alarak, Artanis, Fenix, Zeratul, Tassadar, etc.

1 Like

Karax and the Overmind are two essential support heroes for the game, wish to see them in the game. I intend to write a concept for both of these heroes.

1 Like