[HC] Symmetra, Hard-Light Architect

Symmetra is a very unique Overwatch hero which has struggled to find her place within the Overwatch cast. She is an interesting character, both in her spot in the lore and her characterization. I wanted to bring her into the game to fill give her a place to be.

In HotS, Symmetra is a defensive control-oriented character that focuses on keeping enemies down as she deals damage over time to them. Her main focus is to reduce an enemy’s output while her shields protect her allied heroes.

Universe: Overwatch
Role: Support

Summon Mount
Z (Mount) – 4 sec Cooldown
Increases your movement speed by 30% while mounted.

Explanation: There is no need for a special mount.

Focused Beam
Trait (Passive)
Symmetra can basic attack while moving, and connects a beam with the enemy she is attacking. For the first 3 seconds Symmetra is basic attacking an enemy, the damage ramps up from 50% damage to 125% damage. The damage charge resets after 1.5 seconds of not basic attacking an enemy. In addition, an enemy that has a beam connected to it deals 20% reduced damage.

Explanation: While basic attacking while moving is a dangerous addition, the fact Symmetra’s damage ramps up the longer it is held really requires the mechanic to remain in her kit. The ramp up damage is from the game, and the added damage shred helps her support nature. It is important to note that this also applies to an enemy that is being attacked by a Sentry Turret.

Photon Projection
Q (6 sec Cooldown) - 40 Mana
Symmetra charges up her weapon over up to 1.5 seconds, being unable to basic attack and moving at 85% the speed while charging. Symmetra can reactivate the ability to fire a moving ball of energy in a target 8 unit line that deals 100 (+50 per .5 seconds charged) (+4% per level). Any enemy hit is blinded for .5 seconds (+.5 seconds per .5 seconds charged). Symmetra can hold the energy for up to 4 seconds, but remains slowed and unable to basic attack while holding the ball.

Explanation: Photon Projection is Symmetra’s primary poke tool, and it has a solid amount of ranged disruption. It cannot be spammed, but with proper pre-planning, it can devastate enemies.

Sentry Turret
W (5 sec Charge) - 15 Mana
Symmetra sends a turret in a line until it hits impassable terrain, connecting to the impact side and arming after 1 second. While armed, the Sentry Turret becomes stealthed. This ability has 3 charges, and up to 3 can be active at any time. Turrets have 125 (+4% per level) health, and will attack enemies that come within 6 range of it. It will not fire through terrain, however, and decloaks while attacking. It will recloak while not attacking. Any enemy being attacked by a turret will be dealt 10 (+4% per level) damage every .25 seconds, and will be slowed by 15%. This slow can accumulate per turret (up to 45%).

Explanation: Symmetra’s turrets are iconic to her, and without them she wouldn’t be the same character. The Turrets offer good CC, damage, and have relative safety. The nature of their stealth means that your trap can catch an enemy unawares if set up correctly.

Projected Barrier
E (10 sec Cooldown) - 60 Mana
Symmetra sends a slow-moving shield in the target direction that grants all allies it passes through a 240 (+4% per level) shield for 4 seconds. The shield will continue moving until it reaches impassable terrain, or until 6 seconds.

Explanation: This ability is very similar to a suggestion for Symmetra on the old forums. I wanted to keep projectile blocking restricted to Photon wall, and so I thought this would be an interesting and skillful way to protect her allies with a familiar ability.

Teleporter
Heroic #1 (60 sec Cooldown) - 80 Mana
Symmetra places a fragile teleporter at a target location that activates after 1 second, creating a duplicate portal in Symmetra’s base. Allied heroes may right click on the secondary teleporter to channel for 1 second, and then instantly teleport to the primary teleporter’s location. The Teleporter can transport 5 players before it is destroyed. The teleporter is revealed to the enemy team after 6 seconds, and has 300 (+4% per level) health. The Teleporter’s cooldown starts after it is destroyed.

Explanation: Teleporter is an iconic heroic to Symmetra’s past, and with Medivh already having her new Teleporter, I wanted to pay homage to such a unique ultimate from Overwatch. Teleporter is useful to allow allies to quickly transition to her location, or to go back t base and heal. The reveal after a delay is to allow enemies to hunt down and dispatch of it.

Photon Wall
Heroic #2 (120 sec Cooldown) - 80 Mana
This has a global range. Symmetra opens up a massive thin wall across the battlefield perpendicular to Symmetra. The wall destroys all enemy projectiles that impact it, and lasts for 5 seconds.

Explanation: Photon Wall is an incredibly simple but incredibly powerful heroic option. Symmetra is able to globally protect her team from long range poke projectiles, including basic attacks, with proper shield dancing for a short time. I wanted such an iconic playstyle and gameplay niche to be represented in Symmetra’s kit.

Tier 1

• Beam Builder: [QUEST!] Spend 60 seconds at full damage on Symmetra’s basic attack. [Reward] The time it takes to build up to maximum damage on your basic attacks is reduced from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds.
• Projected Power: Photon Projection’s speed is increased by 50%, and it explodes upon hitting impassable terrain, dealing the effects in a 3.5 radius around it. If at least one enemy Hero is hit, Photon Projection’s cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
• Defense Matrix Established: For each Sentry Turret within 5 units of one another, that Sentry Turret gains 15 Armor. Symmetra gains 5 Spell Armor for each Sentry Turret within 5 units of her.

Tier 2

• Compact Generator: Photon Projection no longer slows Symmetra while charging, and reduces the cooldown of Sentry Turret and Projected Barrier by 2 seconds if it hits an enemy Hero at full charge.
• Car Wash: While an enemy is effected by 2 or more Sentry Turrets, Symmetra’s basic attack deals 50% increased damage to them.
• Hypercharged Batteries: For 2 seconds after first decloaking, Sentry Turrets deal their ticks of damage every .2 seconds rather than .25 seconds.

Tier 3

• Detaining Beam: While her basic attack is at maximum power, the damage shred on enemies is increased from 20% to 35%.
• Reflective Light: Allies hit by Photon Projection gain a shield equal to 50% of the damage.
• Repairing Control: Projected Barrier’s shield lasts an additional second, and every second it persists, it’s shield amount is restored by 40 (+4% per level). This shield restoration cannot raise the shield amount over it’s base amount.

Tier 4

• Teleporter: Symmetra places a fragile teleporter at a target location that activates after 1 second, creating a duplicate portal in Symmetra’s base. Allied heroes may right click on the secondary teleporter to channel for 1 second, and then instantly teleport to the primary teleporter’s location. The Teleporter can transport 5 players before it is destroyed. The teleporter is revealed to the enemy team after 6 seconds, and has 300 (+4% per level) health. The Teleporter’s cooldown starts after it is destroyed.
• Photon Wall: This has a global range. Symmetra opens up a massive thin wall across the battlefield perpendicular to Symmetra. The wall destroys all enemy projectiles that impact it, and lasts for 6 seconds.

Tier 5

• Disorientating Flash: Enemies hit by Photon Projection are also silenced while blinded.
• Deconstruction: Sentry Turrets deal .5% of the enemy’s maximum health every tick of damage.
• Shield Matrix: Every allied hero that the Projected Barrier passes through increases the shield amount for future allies by 25%.

Tier 6

• Order!: While Focused Beam is fully charged, Symmetra can activate it to basic attack an additional enemy as long as she remains in range.
• Crippling Streams: While a Sentry Turret is attacking an enemy Hero, they cannot use mobility moves.
• Hardlight Defenses: Projected Barrier now destroys the first two enemy projectiles that collide with it before being destroyed.

Tier 7

• Peak Transit: While a Teleporter is active, all allies have their hearthstone channel duration reduced by 50%. In addition, using the Teleporter grants the ally 30% increased movement speed for 3 seconds after being transferred.
• Subdivision Logistics: Photon Wall now creates two walls in an X formation from the indicated point.
• Condensed Light: Photon Projection now has its cooldown set to 2 seconds after firing.
• My Reality: Sentry Turret’s limit is now increased to 5, and the Sentry Turrets can fire at enemies while they are being fired. In addition, using a Sentry Turret while there are three already active causes the Sentry Turret to instead rotate around Symmetra.

3 Likes

I will start by saying that I have played OW only a little so I can’t judge the concept against the original.

Trait

I like the baseline damage reduction and I don’t think basic attacking while moving would be to bad on her (It isn’t really problem on Lucio either).
The trait is fine IMO.

Q
Being slowed while chaneling is a big weakness but the ability itself is strong enough to compensate.
I have a question though: Is there a reason for the 4 seconds limit? It appears somewhat redundant with the slow discouraging long charging.

W
The way it is written it appears as global ability. If that is the case than that is fine as turrets looks relatively weak (low health primarly).
If the turrets have more usual range that the really look too weak IMO.
Also option to disable/enable all existing turrets could be useful.

E
The shield is low considering the cooldown. It is global which is nice, but it can’t pass terrain so that part is quite situational.

R1
Ok ability but having both limited amount of uses and reveal to enemies isn’t neccesary IMO.

R2
This ability is definitely strong with global range and decently long duration.
My only concern would be implementing it mechanically.

Talents
Probably the best part of the concept. There is a lot of synergy options and power spikes. Maybe consider adding few talent because not every talent feels strong without picking others with it.

Hardlight Defenses is probably the only talent that feels out of place to me. The mechanic is already present on her ult.

Sidenote: I don’t think she needs exception on mana usage when she doesn’t have special resource.

Very solid concept overall.

Hey Marrossi! Thanks for the feedback, as always!

The time limit and slow were a concoction from the two versions of the abilities. Slowing yourself for such a powerful, low CD effect made sense in theory, but in the game you can only hold onto it for a short time, preventing players from just waiting indefinitely with a powerful attack. I think I’ll trim the slow a little bit, but keep the maximum time.

I’m not 100% sure I understand what this means, but if they look too weak with their current attack range, I can up it a bit.

Haha, this is entirely on me. Originally it was more faithful to its Overwatch incarnation, and blocked projectiles, which is why it has a long cooldown. I’ll go ahead and trim that down a bit.

It probably isn’t needed, but I was just very concerned that an indefinite link to the battleground that your enemies would know would be a bit too strong. I could probably remove the reveal.

Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

I was concerned about that, honestly. But it just felt so needed, considering that is how the ability worked in Overwatch. I’ll consider a replacement.

I did intend for her to have mana, I just didn’t list it. I’ll go ahead and do that.

1 Like

I was talking about their deployment range (how far they can travel before sticking to wall). The description just sounds unclear about that to me.

[quote=“Bliztron-1378, post:3, topic:21296”]
Could you elaborate on this a bit more?

The talent tree has clear builds but maybe too clear. It just appears to me like once you start build path, you pretty much have to stick to it.

Also I had realized that Projected power could be a more of a nerf with the terrain part. It would certainly be weaker on more cramped maps.

Yup, the deployment range is global (or until it hits terrain, but the turrets can still be attacked mid-flight, and unless you have the My Reality tier 7 talent, they can’t attack back. This makes positioning key to their usage, and better reflects Symmetra in Overwatch.

I will admit I do have a bit of an issue with set in stone talent trees. I try to toss in tiers that are more neutral in their nature, but sometimes I don’t really accomplish this. I’ll consider ways to delineate the talent tree.

I think double hitting with Photon Projection is actually a bonus to the explosion happening in cramped maps, but it would require the player to be a bit careful.